WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dual sport bikes???

satellitemike

Reaction score
Any inmates know any places to look at a pair of dual sport motorcycles, maybe old stock 2017-2019?
Not looking for the latest or greatest, just a good deal on some 600cc minimum bikes. My son and I would like to give them a try, he is 6'5" and I am 6'7" and we are both 250+.
Thanks

Riverryder

Reaction score
i have always wanted one. want a 450 tho to keep it light. as i like to jump and still use it as a dirt bike.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Where are you located? Are you looking for something like this?

Attachments

• husky in dirt trim.jpg
    husky in dirt trim.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 220

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Where do you guys plan on riding these bikes? Most modern day 450/500 have plenty of power for most of us. You're gonna have to change out the stock springs for heavier ones along with tall seats.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
You won't go wrong with Suzuki DR650's as Willie B. says above.
A newer Honda XR650L would be on my list if I was going to replace my old Honda XL600R ..... but it will still go anywhere the newer ones will (I'm 6'5", 245)
I think the Honda's fit us taller guys best unless you spend big $ on a Husky or KTM.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Dual sport can mean two things for me 1st is bike that is street legal but shit on the street and rips on the dirt 2nd is the Ducati that was posted above good on the street and shit on the dirt. Its really hard to get both. With that said my dream bike is a husky 501 FE if you want more street and less dirt then get a husky 701 if you want something like the Ducati might as well get a jeep.

Sorry that is coming from a long time motocross guy that hates riding on the street and only uses it to get to the next gas station to get back on the dirt. we've done trips from Yucaipa to Vegas and back and only spent 5 miles on the street.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Where do you guys plan on riding these bikes? Most modern day 450/500 have plenty of power for most of us. You're gonna have to change out the stock springs for heavier ones along with tall seats.
The newer 450 are bad ass AMD have plenty of power but add you said they would need some modest upgrades to make them work. Also a bit more $$$ than I was looking to spend.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

satellitemike

Reaction score
Dual sport can mean two things for me 1st is bike that is street legal but shit on the street and rips on the dirt 2nd is the Ducati that was posted above good on the street and shit on the dirt. Its really hard to get both. With that said my dream bike is a husky 501 FE if you want more street and less dirt then get a husky 701 if you want something like the Ducati might as well get a jeep.

Sorry that is coming from a long time motocross guy that hates riding on the street and only uses it to get to the next gas station to get back on the dirt. we've done trips from Yucaipa to Vegas and back and only spent 5 miles on the street.
I would rather have a better dirt performer. Ive had enough street bikes and want to stay off the roads as much as possible!

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Murrieta.

Mike the pic that I posted is 2007 TE 610 Husky. It truly is the swiss army knife of dual port bikes. Very capable offroad with plenty of power and a nice flat torque curve but it is also pretty capable of road use too. I've done 100 miles of nasty single track in a day or have done 200 miles of highway. It can cruise @ 75 mph in reasonable comfort ( well as comfortable as that kind of bike can be) and still plenty of power left for passing (tops out @ 107). You can find good used ones in the $3000 range and they are as reliable as an old army boot.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Mike the pic that I posted is 2007 TE 610 Husky. It truly is the swiss army knife of dual port bikes. Very capable offroad with plenty of power and a nice flat torque curve but it is also pretty capable of road use too. I've done 100 miles of nasty single track in a day or have done 200 miles of highway. It can cruise @ 75 mph in reasonable comfort ( well as comfortable as that kind of bike can be) and still plenty of power left for passing (tops out @ 107). You can find good used ones in the $3000 range and they are as reliable as an old army boot.
I had the same year 610SM, loved that bike. I will be getting back into a dual sport in few months and I will look for another husky. I will go TE model this time

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
so that 600+cc is currently a very neglected market. Its full of a lot of old stuff, but thats not necessarily bad, but just understand it doesn't get the attention that >500cc market gets. I've done a good amount of adventure riding including some cross country trips on my XR650R, favorite being the trans-american trail and baja. Heres just some random thoughts...

* at your size and weight you'll be fully customizing the suspension and ergos on ANY bike you buy. Some bikes are better suited for taller riders, XR650R for example is on the taller side. Taller seats, taller risers, and dropped pegs can help with getting the bike comfortable for a taller rider

* think about the kind of riding you want to do before you buy a bike. If you fancy yourself a weekend warrior doing some cool little adventures in the Sierras, or a weekend in Baja where you're trailering it down or do you want to do a 10,000 mi ride to the arctic circle or the tip of south america? The bike I'd choose would certainly play into that. The more electronics and doo-dads (EFI and fuel pumps, hydro slave cylinders) the more at risk you are for a repair you cant fix on the side of a trial. Obviously its not a big deal in so-cal and surrounding areas, but trust me when I say you dont want to be deep down in mexico looking for a fuel pump or fuel injector for a 2019 KTM. You'll be buying a cheap mexican 2stroke or burro and riding that home!

* the other important thing to realize is the compromise we have to make with dualsport / adv bikes. No matter how you look at it you'll always be leaning one way or the other with Dirt Performance vs. Street Performance. They are just too different, so figure out where you want to lean, and look at bikes that are better suited for that task. Myself, I really only like being on the pavement when necessary.

Its a very deep topic of discussion and I could talk your ear off about it, but I have put prob 12,000 miles on my current XR650R and love it to death. It took me a while to get it all dialed in for me, but its kush now. If you told me we're riding to Maine tomorrow i'd be ready to roll on it.

If you want to chat about any of the logistics of this stuff, let me know I can shoot you my number.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I had the same year 610SM, loved that bike. I will be getting back into a dual sport in few months and I will look for another husky. I will go TE model this time

I've got both the TE and SM equipment for mine, as well as a nice comfy seat for times when it's going to be on the road and the std 2x4 seat for the trails. I can swap back and fourth in about 1/2 hr. I can also throw the saddle bags and windshield on it for those extended weekends

sintax

Reaction score
I've got both the TE and SM equipment for mine, as well as a nice comfy seat for times when it's going to be on the road and the std 2x4 seat for the trails. I can swap back and fourth in about 1/2 hr. I can also throw the saddle bags and windshield on it for those extended weekends

haha for sure man, its amazing the difference a proper seat can make. I've been running seats from Seat Concepts for years now. He used to be right out by me in Hemet back in the day, but I think he moved to CO?

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
haha for sure man, its amazing the difference a proper seat can make. I've been running seats from Seat Concepts for years now. He used to be right out by me in Hemet back in the day, but I think he moved to CO?
Yep, Seat Concepts did a custom build for me and it is night and day different than that cement slab that comes form the factory. When your up on the pegs weaving your way through a boulder field the stock seat is fine but when you hit the road that thing is a killer on the tail bone and back.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Where is here? They are street legal in CA.

Saskatchewan, Canada.

XR650R (liquid cooled) and XR650L (air cooled).
Some places let you add lights, signals horn etc so you can plate the R. And even if you manage to register and plate one....insurance is another question.

The L comes with all the legal stuff.

Last edited:

squeezer

Reaction score
Can yo narrow down your use profile a bit...

Guys that buy a dual sport and say they will ride them 50/50 on/off road usually ride them 90 on and 10 off. If you are legitimately going to ride anything more than 20% off road you need a dedicated dirt bike.

The lightest dual sport out there sucks off road.

I "Adventure" ride a bit, (Or used to before the kids came along) and prefer the older BMW GS's. My goto bike is an R100GS. An R1150GSA with a set of TKC80's isn't too much bike for guys your size. They are cheap, bullet proof, fast enough on road to not be left behind and surprisingly easy to ride in the rough with the low CofG.

f12517

Reaction score
I would rather have a better dirt performer. Ive had enough street bikes and want to stay off the roads as much as possible!

How much off road? Single track, desert, light trail riding, gravel roads? How much street? Connect trails in the mountains, or leave from the house to ride? If mostly off road you'll want something like a KTM 500exc/Husky FE501. If more 50/50 then maybe a DRZ400s or XR650L, perhaps a DR650 or KLR 650. I wouldn't ride the last two off road beyond a gravel road.

sintax

Reaction score
Saskatchewan, Canada.

XR650R (liquid cooled) and XR650L (air cooled).
Some places let you add lights, signals horn etc so you can plate the R. And even if you manage to register and plate one....insurance is another question.

The L comes with all the legal stuff.

The L is just a huge bummer for most dirt stuff. I tried getting into it, but it just doesnt hold a candle to the R. I'd consider the L to be pretty closely matched to the DR650. Both of which are great solid time tested bikes with easy to fix issues, but man they leave a lot to be desired from a offroad perspective. I spent a full season dialing in the front and rear on my XR. it ALMOST rides as well as my CRFx. The XR is just setup softer to be a little more forgiving. The CRF can soak up knee deep woops like nobodies business.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The L is just a huge bummer for most dirt stuff. I tried getting into it, but it just doesnt hold a candle to the R. I'd consider the L to be pretty closely matched to the DR650. Both of which are great solid time tested bikes with easy to fix issues, but man they leave a lot to be desired from a offroad perspective. I spent a full season dialing in the front and rear on my XR. it ALMOST rides as well as my CRFx. The XR is just setup softer to be a little more forgiving. The CRF can soak up knee deep woops like nobodies business.
Agreed the L is just kind of a fire road cruiser. My buddy has a 650R that was plated before they clamped down on retrofit bikes and his is very similar to my Husky in most respects. They both are torque monsters with nice smooth delivery of power, they both have awesome suspension but their are a few differences. His will definitely have the edge on tight switch backs because mine needs plenty of room to make a 180 (unless you power slide through the corner). On the other hand while both are fast/powerful bikes mine has wider spacing on the gears with a big overdrive 6th so at 80 mph I've still got plenty to go while his pretty much has it's tongue hanging out and the fact that mine is bad on tight turns in technical single track means that it makes up for that in high speed stability.

sintax

Reaction score
Agreed the L is just kind of a fire road cruiser. My buddy has a 650R that was plated before they clamped down on retrofit bikes and his is very similar to my Husky in most respects. They both are torque monsters with nice smooth delivery of power, they both have awesome suspension but their are a few differences. His will definitely have the edge on tight switch backs because mine needs plenty of room to make a 180 (unless you power slide through the corner). On the other hand while both are fast/powerful bikes mine has wider spacing on the gears with a big overdrive 6th so at 80 mph I've still got plenty to go while his pretty much has it's tongue hanging out and the fact that mine is bad on tight turns in technical single track means that it makes up for that in high speed stability.

true that on the gearing the big XR needs the 15 tooth up front to really handle the highway properly. When I am going on a big trip and I know i'll be doing some slab, I always carry 2 front sprockets. Usually I carry a 13t and a 15t front sprocket. Honestly though, with the 15t i've had it into the triple digits. Not that I or the bike prob enjoyed it all that much, but i've done it. I would say with the 15t I can keep it in a comfortable rpm at the 70-75mph range.

as far as high speed stability, i have a scotts steering device on ALLLLLLL of my dirt bikes. its a game changer. tell your bud to put one on his bike and watch that high speed stability advantage just vaporize ;)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

Your ad here

Reaction score

Get a dirt bike that is outfitted to be street legal instead of a road bike that is outfitted to go offroad. I had a BMW F800GS. Fun bike but a pure bitch to ride offroad with it weighing 600+ lbs. There is no perfect bike for both. Bikes made for street, offroad terrible. Bikes made for offroad suck on asphalt. I do have a plated CR250 just because but it gets old quick riding on asphalt.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
as far as high speed stability, i have a scotts steering device on ALLLLLLL of my dirt bikes. its a game changer. tell your bud to put one on his bike and watch that high speed stability advantage just vaporize ;)
He has a Scott's on his. Mine has the Motosports damper, mine is still better at speed and he still turns tighter. 👍

Maestro

Reaction score
I have a co-worker selling one. I can try to get the Info from him but it might be a bit. He's on covid vacation

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’m on the hunt and can’t get the KTM 790 off my radar. The ergonomics and the appearance seems that everything is well thought out. The technology in the bike is impressive.

I’m torn with spending the money on the 790 or build a XR650 to what I want/need it to be.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
If you have access to it, az plate a true dirt machine. I have an az plate for the 125 and had one on the 250 when I had it
FB_IMG_1586405950651.jpg

wiseone

Reaction score
Honda XR 650R is the best all around bike IMO, I bought mine from my uncle in 2002 & I still own & ride it today. I've never had any issues with it probably because I serviced it often. Rode it all over Baja, in the states & on the streets. Great all around bike that has won many top level off road races & championships over the years, you cant go wrong with a 650R. BTW I'm 6' 4" and 275+

The 500 is also fun to ride for a big guy in the ocotillo/superstition desert

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 80

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
Anyone ride a wr250r??

I bought a WR250R when they came out in '08 and rode it for three years. I'm 6'2" 210#. Mods included Race Tech tuning on the fork and shock, Scotts damper, higher handle bars, full FMF exhaust, aluminum bash guard, aluminum hand guards, real off road tires, and stripping off anything I could. For me a dual sport is a way to legally use public roads to link together offroad trail sections. In northern Wisconsin this can be anything from logging roads to aggressive Jeep/ATV trails, and occasionally single track. The bike probably spent an honest 1/3 of the time off road. It was a good bike for the really technical riding, but I eventually sold it because I wanted more power, and I didn't want to start modifying the fuel injected engine. I really had to ring it's neck to get it to hustle.

sintax

Reaction score
Honda XR 650R is the best all around bike IMO, I bought mine from my uncle in 2002 & I still own & ride it today. I've never had any issues with it probably because I serviced it often. Rode it all over Baja, in the states & on the streets. Great all around bike that has won many top level off road races & championships over the years, you cant go wrong with a 650R. BTW I'm 6' 4" and 275+

The 500 is also fun to ride for a big guy in the ocotillo/superstition desert

How funny, I have a XR650r thats plated and a KX500 as well (but its in a 2004 KX250 frame)

white tortilla

Reaction score
I have had almost every type of bike. Had two xr650s that were plated, just sold one, and the kx500, 450, 250, & 300s. The xr650 are a great cruiser bike and sure are / were fast on the wide open Baja stuff. But don’t really stack up to the newer lighter husky 501 or similar newer technology bikes. I’m only 5’8” 180lb so I realize you are riding with a much bigger frame. But I ride with a lot of guys similar to your size that ride the newer 500 four stroke dual sports and they do just fine on them. The issue with the xr650 is they are getting older, parts are getting harder to find, no electric start, and riding really technical stuff they are “big red pigs” and will wear you out. But that is a more budget friendly bike for sure. To me even at 6’5” 300lbs I’d still get a newer fuel injected bike that has modern components and parts are readily available. It’s going to cost a little more upfront but if your truly dual sporting and getting into any good advanced trails that bike is going to shine.
0BDB8BB1-7D87-436D-AB24-2866D15D5D59.jpeg

satellitemike

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's. As most have stated the newer lighter stuff is going to be much better for most off road applications.
Hope to run into one of the 3 D's in the near future, death, divorce, or despair!
I am thinking what ever we end up finding will need some mods to make them fit our XL frames.
Please let me know if any of you run into something that would work for us!!!

Last edited:

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Had a 650R coverted it to street legal and sold it. Bought a DRZ 400E and made it street legal. Siprized the hell outta me. Drag race a buddy on his 650R and the 650 barely pulled my 400E. It Tackles Dumont, St Anthony, Mountains desert, freeway and highways. Put a big tank on it and ride forever. Just a bulletproof bike.
FB_IMG_1540796420967.jpg

Your ad here

Reaction score
For me a dual sport is a way to legally use public roads to link together offroad trail sections.
Other than just because I can have a street legal CR250 in Az this was a big reason I street legalized my bike. I'm the last one in the group still on a bike and everyone has a street legal SXS. They take asphalt all the time. One thing I can do now at Ocotillo Wells is ride in the restricted On Highway vehicle only areas. Plated bike, Az DL, registered and Insured.
20190407_152908.jpg

f12517

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's. As most have stated the newer lighter stuff is going to be much better for most off road applications.
Hope to run into one of the 3 D's in the near future, death, divorce, or despair!
I am thinking what ever we end up finding will need some mods to make them fit out XL frames.
Please let me know if any of you run into something that would work for us!!!

I am 6ft and about 275 and I ride a KTM 500 exc. The only the thing I think you’ll need to make them fit you better is to respring/revalve the suspension, move the bar risers to the front position and get a more comfortable seat.

As big dudes you’ll need to do all those things to any bike you ride.

01erionracing

Reaction score

For dirt performance I would look no other than KTM or Husq.
I own both TE 250 (2011) and TE 510 (2009) and very happy.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
For dirt performance I would look no other than KTM or Husq.
I own both TE 250 (2011) and TE 510 (2009) and very happy.
How is your te250 to ride, my wife is on an 06 rmz 250 and I'm thinking a te250 would be a good transition to get her into a dual