WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dual sport bikes???

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's. As most have stated the newer lighter stuff is going to be much better for most off road applications.
Hope to run into one of the 3 D's in the near future, death, divorce, or despair!
I am thinking what ever we end up finding will need some mods to make them fit out XL frames.
Please let me know if any of you run into something that would work for us!!!

Ran across these, might be something to look into. I'm going to get something to take on the motorhome with us.

Last edited:

01erionracing

Reaction score
How is your te250 to ride, my wife is on an 06 rmz 250 and I'm thinking a te250 would be a good transition to get her into a dual

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Reliability wise in 4000 dirt miles I only changed wear and tear parts such as tires, oil and battery (once), valve clearance checked all good. The suspension is stock and perfect for 140-160 lbs rider went through big whoop easy.
The stock headlight is joke but I mod with Rigid Industries D light, issue solved.
Riding/camping last week with my son.
IMG_3212.jpg

60771527369__245EC9BC-2F64-48BB-9DA4-23D4930D4252.JPG

sirbob

Reaction score
It’s seems like a lot of knowledge here with the dual sport market and different models / set ups etc.

I don’t want to suggest that the Royal Enfield is in any way comparable to the bikes and models being discussed here ... but I’d love to hear if any one has ridden one of these new models coming out of India?

They are cheap and look like a fun little bike to leave in Havasu when we are there to putt around on.

Again I’m not suggesting these are comparable to a serious dual sport modified to cover miles of desert or ?

And I’m a big believer in “you get what you pay for” but these look like fun?

Thoughts ??

F861540F-EEE3-4F93-A89E-091743A93851.png
4CBFE0EC-AD6C-4C10-8BA0-58B3F81D68E3.png

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Their Himalayan adv bike is very cool looking.........but weighs 440lbs and has 26hp.

Not practical.

sirbob

Reaction score
Their Himalayan adv bike is very cool looking.........but weighs 440lbs and has 26hp.

Not practical.

In all seriousness - not practical for what?

It might not be the bike I would do the continental divide on but I could do a beer run and have bags to put the beer in :)

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I would love to find a clean 87ish Honda XL600r i think that would be the hot ticket to go with my other bikes

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score

It might not be the bike I would do the continental divide on but I could do a beer run and have bags to put the beer in :)

haha if you're just running for beer on it, totally fine. But man, those RE's are something else. I had a buddy traveling in India, bought a brand new one in the crate. On his trip in India, he ended up hitting a pothole and ripped the neck RIGHT OFF the frame. He ended up trading the parts for a beater yamaha and rode it the rest of his trip there. I'd personally avoid them unless you WANT a underpowered junk thumper. BUT if you want something that looks and rides like a 1950's bike, but was built in 2018, ya. go for it!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Reliability wise in 4000 dirt miles I only changed wear and tear parts such as tires, oil and battery (once), valve clearance checked all good. The suspension is stock and perfect for 140-160 lbs rider went through big whoop easy.
The stock headlight is joke but I mod with Rigid Industries D light, issue solved.
Riding/camping last week with my son.
View attachment 864717
View attachment 864718
Lol, that might be a good option for me. I'm 5'6" 145lbs, with that being a lite weight bike it would be easy to toss around

01erionracing

Reaction score
Lol, that might be a good option for me. I'm 5'6" 145lbs, with that being a lite weight bike it would be easy to toss around

I spent time and money to revalve the suspension on the TE510 but the handling on the whoop nowhere close to the stock TE250.
If you consider the TE250/310 make sure the suspension is stock.

sirbob

Reaction score
haha if you're just running for beer on it, totally fine. But man, those RE's are something else. I had a buddy traveling in India, bought a brand new one in the crate. On his trip in India, he ended up hitting a pothole and ripped the neck RIGHT OFF the frame. He ended up trading the parts for a beater yamaha and rode it the rest of his trip there. I'd personally avoid them unless you WANT a underpowered junk thumper. BUT if you want something that looks and rides like a 1950's bike, but was built in 2018, ya. go for it!

haha - man that would be a fun trip!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I know it isn't what the OP wants, but Honda is supposed to bring the Super Cub Scrambler to the US market.

And then there is the lady that bought one and rode it all the way to Holland...

Though to be fair she had to have the head stock rebuilt along the way. Evidently it was a known issue from the factory.

sirbob

Reaction score
I know it isn't what the OP wants, but Honda is supposed to bring the Super Cub Scrambler to the US market.

And then there is the lady that bought one and rode it all the way to Holland...

Though to be fair she had to have the head stock rebuilt along the way. Evidently it was a known issue from the factory.
With the rebuild head - is that on one these new REs that are being sold now?

Again not to to get too far away from the OG requests - The new Honda cubs look like a great deal - about $3500? and Honda reliability - thumbs up.

Lots of neat, versatile, cheap small bore bikes coming out.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
With the rebuild head - is that on one these new REs that are being sold now?

Again not to to get too far away from the OG requests - The new Honda cubs look like a great deal - about $3500? and Honda reliability - thumbs up.

Lots of neat, versatile, cheap small bore bikes coming out.

From what I can find yes, they improved the design. She is riding a new one from South America to Alaska and it doesn't seem to have had the same issue. And that poor bike is being beat to death on the SA roads. It appears to be holding up well.

JDKRXW

Reaction score

Not practical for: any road that's not covered in pavement or concrete.

sintax

Reaction score
haha - man that would be a fun trip!

you dont know the half of it, it was insane from what i heard. They ran up through the Himalayas and into Nepal / Tibet . They almost got kidnapped by a tranny as well...

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Here is a good review comparing both the KLR650 and the Himalayan

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Not practical for: any road that's not covered in pavement or concrete.

Imma gonna guess that 99% of the "adventure" bikes are used as highway cruisers. That's where the RE needs a few more ponies. They should put the 650cc engine out of the Interceptor in it.

sirbob

Reaction score
you dont know the half of it, it was insane from what i heard. They ran up through the Himalayas and into Nepal / Tibet . They almost got kidnapped by a tranny as well...
:oops::oops::oops:

sintax

Reaction score
Imma gonna guess that 99% of the "adventure" bikes are used as highway cruisers. That's where the RE needs a few more ponies. They should put the 650cc engine out of the Interceptor in it.

you're prob right.

If the topic comes to primarily highway, but want the ability to blast some fire roads or mostly hard pack desert. I'd totally recommend a KTM ADV, Honda Africa twin, or hell maybe even a Zuki DL650. The name of the game there is >1 cylinder, its a huge game changer on the highway when it comes to comfort of you as a rider, and the bikes ability to chug along.

I'll buy one of those Africa Twins someday, I just wish they included cruise from the factory. Only Honda would goof that one, creates a throttle by wire system, excludes cruise...

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I'll buy one of those Africa Twins someday, I just wish they included cruise from the factory. Only Honda would goof that one, creates a throttle by wire system, excludes cruise...

The new ones have it......so you can get one now
👍

sirbob

Reaction score
A little old school 250 KTM stroke dual...

satellitemike

Reaction score
Oh I know :)

I keep talking myself out of it, I have 8 bikes in my garage right now....I moved 2 older ones into an outdoor shed.

I may....have a problem
Sounds like I need to come shopping in your garage!

satellitemike

Reaction score
Was talking w my son last night and he keeps finding good deals on off road bikes, how hard would it be to make them street legal in CA? I would guess/assume a major pain in the ASS?

sintax

Reaction score
Was talking w my son last night and he keeps finding good deals on off road bikes, how hard would it be to make them street legal in CA? I would guess/assume a major pain in the ASS?

its doable, but i vote its not worth the headache. CA is known for doing audits and removing plates. Which is another reason its risky buying those post-deadline conversions. Another option, if you have a residence out of state or family out of state, register them there and take the risk with that.

I imagine, its gotta be a decent market out there for them.

satellitemike

Reaction score
its doable, but i vote its not worth the headache. CA is known for doing audits and removing plates. Which is another reason its risky buying those post-deadline conversions. Another option, if you have a residence out of state or family out of state, register them there and take the risk with that.

I imagine, its gotta be a decent market out there for them.
When was the deadline?
I have an AZ address I can use, only makes sense it would be easier in AZ to convert!

sintax

Reaction score
When was the deadline?
I have an AZ address I can use, only makes sense it would be easier in AZ to convert!

I THINK it was 04, but thats just going off of my memory. The guys on the D37 (dualsport section) forum are the best resource for this kinda thing.

As far as AZ goes, ya, as long as it has a battery, a head / tail / light you're good to go i think

Your ad here

Reaction score
I THINK it was 04, but thats just going off of my memory. The guys on the D37 (dualsport section) forum are the best resource for this kinda thing.

As far as AZ goes, ya, as long as it has a battery, a head / tail / light you're good to go i think
In AZ you need a headlight, taillight, 1 brake switch, horn, and rearview mirror. No battery is needed. You will need insurance. As far as I understand you cannot legally ride an Az dual sport bike in Ca with a Ca dl. If you have an Az dl you can ride the dual sport bike in Ca.

sintax

Reaction score
In AZ you need a headlight, taillight, 1 brake switch, horn, and rearview mirror. No battery is needed. You will need insurance. As far as I understand you cannot legally ride an Az dual sport bike in Ca with a Ca dl. If you have an Az dl you can ride the dual sport bike in Ca.

yea, the mans always trying to keep you down.

That being said, i feel like its a reasonable risk to assume. I would feel decently comfortable with it i think. I feel like you might not get too much headache since you're generally in remote areas, dealing with either a ranger or maybe a local cop. In full disclosure I dont ever mind bending the rules.

kiethco

Reaction score
Check out the socaldualsport page on facebook. Sign up and look at the Beta posted for sale a couple days ago, guy has 15k into it and asking 8 or 9. There are a few other good buys on there too. A 500cc KTM, Beta, or Husky will do you just fine. You'll want to get the suspension done for your weight on whatever you buy, new or old. Forget the Honda 650L, DRZ, Triumph, Yamaha. Get a KTM, Beta, or Husky. Also the SWM is worth a look, a guy in Escondido sells SWM.
I just sold my KTM 525 and bought an older CRF 250X. I punched it out to a 270 and resprung it. I have a bitchen little trasil/adv bike that weighs 240 pounds, love it.
Let me know if you wanna do the LA-B-to-V www.LaBarstowVegas.com It's the Woodstock of motorcycling, every November!
Kieth
AMA D-37 Dualsport division Prez
LA-Barstow-to-Vegas event coordinator

satellitemike

Reaction score
Check out the socaldualsport page on facebook. Sign up and look at the Beta posted for sale a couple days ago, guy has 15k into it and asking 8 or 9. There are a few other good buys on there too. A 500cc KTM, Beta, or Husky will do you just fine. You'll want to get the suspension done for your weight on whatever you buy, new or old. Forget the Honda 650L, DRZ, Triumph, Yamaha. Get a KTM, Beta, or Husky. Also the SWM is worth a look, a guy in Escondido sells SWM.
I just sold my KTM 525 and bought an older CRF 250X. I punched it out to a 270 and resprung it. I have a bitchen little trasil/adv bike that weighs 240 pounds, love it.
Let me know if you wanna do the LA-B-to-V www.LaBarstowVegas.com It's the Woodstock of motorcycling, every November!
Kieth
Thanks for the info Keith.
Does anyone know what it would cost to make a xr650r street legal? I found a good deal on a 2003 but was never converted. Was it a timing thing that has passed?

sintax

Reaction score
Kieth

Woah, hey Kieth.

I didnt know you are on this site. I'm Sintax on the D37 site as well. We've chatted a few times on a few LA-B-to-V's / other D37 events. Good to see you man!

sintax

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Keith.
Does anyone know what it would cost to make a xr650r street legal? I found a good deal on a 2003 but was never converted. Was it a timing thing that has passed?

In California I believe that ship has sailed. I think you can sneak things through on occassion if you find the right DVM person whos willing to do it. But I've heard from a few people that plates have been pulled

satellitemike

Reaction score
In California I believe that ship has sailed. I think you can sneak things through on occassion if you find the right DVM person whos willing to do it. But I've heard from a few people that plates have been pulled
Kinda what I thought. Might have to make a trip to the Needles DMV and ask around.

kiethco

Reaction score
Hiya sintax, I'd let the 650R go, you can plate it but need to have a non resettable odometer with over 7500 miles on it, I have one floating around that does the job. Then you have to find the right dmv, doable but tricky. There' are too many 2004 and above bitchen low hour bulletproof 450's, 525's coming available.