WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Duck and Goose hunting trip 2018

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt at a private duck club on Venice Island in Stockton. My dad and I, along with three other friends headed out of LA at O dark 30 on Tuesday morning for the Delta. Stopped at Harris ranch for breakfast and literally had the best corned beef hash and eggs with homemade biscuits that any of us ever had. Made it to the club at 11:00 am, which gave us plenty of time to settle in and prepare for our afternoon hunt. It was clear and sunny with temps in the low 60's, not ideal waterfowl hunting weather. Our group split up and my dad and I headed to a wooded blind on a flooded corn field with our guide. In less than two hours the two of us shot 16 duck's of various species and 1 specked goose.
IMG_20180123_182537_509.jpg
IMG_20180123_171003796_HDR.jpg

Got back to the club house and cleaned up for evening activities. Walked into the clubhouse to a huge spread of hot horderves on the bar. The chef prepared a full prime rib dinner with all of the fixings. The normal after dinner bullshit session was cut short as most of us were pretty tired and breakfast service starts at 4:45 am.
IMG_20180123_204832239_LL.jpg

Woke up to a much different day weather wise. It was much colder and heavy fog, perfect waterfowl hunting weather. After a hearty breakfast, we headed out to our assigned blind's. In the first five minutes of shooting time three mallards came in and three shots later the retriever Sasha was hard at work. About a half-hour into shooting time, the geese started flying by the thousands. The heavy fog was keeping the flocks flying low and we enjoyed almost wide open shooting for the next four hours. By 10:00 am, we all had reached our limits with 113 bird's in the bag amongst five hunters.

Needless to say, this was a hunt of a lifetime and our guides informed us that this was probably a new club record for a morning hunt. There is nothing like being in nature, hunting with close friends and watching well trained retriever's work. I can't wait for my next hunting adventure, but it will be hard to top this trip.
IMG_20180124_120002887_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180124_120235718_HDR.jpg