WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Durango fires, home again

dave29

Reaction score
June 6 at 10pm, we were notified via a Code Red message that we needed to evacuate by 6am the next morning. We were on pre vacuation notice so we already had a few things packed. the day before I moved 3 cars to one friends house and 2 to another. I had to leave a 64 Porsche, GT4, 52 Ford pickup and 2 Harleys in the garage knowing that they were good on insurance. We had taken oner 100 pictures of the contents of the house and garage for insurance purposes. At 6am the Sheriff was at our door and we were out. Fortunately we have a great friend who lives about 3 miles away who said we could stay with him. If it was just my wife and I, we would have stayed for the duration. We have 2 dogs so we knew staying would just be an imposition.
We took our Mac's so once we arrived at his house we started looking for a vacation rental that's fully furnished and took dog's. We found one that was available for 9 days so we took it. The smoke from the fires was horrific in the morning and most houses here do not have air so it was a little warm during the day. Yesterday we received notice that we could return home so at 2pm yesterday we were back home safe with only ash and embers to scattered around but the house in great condition.
We are now back to pre evacuation status because the fire is still raging.
Just a couple of take aways to share with you:
Take pictures of your house with every drawer or cupboard open and put it on a storage device and keep it somewhere other than your home.
If evacuated, take your tax returns for at least 5 previous years. Take phone books, computers, and insurance documents. Take records of any improvements you have made to your home.
If it's summer only take clothing that is necessary for summer not everything in your closet. Take your own pillow.
Put in a hold mail at the Post Office for 30 days. You can always extend that and picking up your mail there will assure that your mail is not burnt up or stoles from your mailbox.
If you have automatic sprinklers, increase the time at every station and have them go on every day. Turn on outside lights of firefighters can see around your house at night and remove any flammable items from the outside.
Lastly, notify your insurance agent but most importantly, notify your family and friends who will be worried if they see the news on television or on the web before they know if you're ok.
Hopefully you won't need to go through this in your lifetime.
Best

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpeg
    Untitled-3.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 227
  • Untitled-4.jpeg
    Untitled-4.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Untitled-6.jpeg
    Untitled-6.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 251

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
all good advice. living in an urban interface area is great but there is risk.....that's why they invented insurance

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I wish I was closer to help you garage Stuttgart's finest.

Best of luck you and yours.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Been following the IC reports on the 416 and Burro fires on the internet. You posted some good info. Good luck up there. Such a beautiful area but lots of fuel.

We had our second wildland fire of the season yesterday and first on Saturday. Going to be bad this year.

For those that live in potential fire areas, maintain your defensible space! In structure protection, if we see too much fuel around your house we are going to move on the to next house as we know we will be just wasting time and resources trying to protect it.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
We'll be in Durango middle July, hope everything is under control by then?

Hope you and the family are safe, vehicles can be replaced with the proper insurance!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We'll be there at the end of July, I'll be surprised if the forests are back open by then, unless they get significant rains.

Should be a fun vacation sitting around my uncle's house...

dave29

Reaction score
I wish I was closer to help you garage Stuttgart's finest.

Best of luck you and yours.
Stuttgarts finest were the 5 cars at friends houses. I love them all but you need to make tough decisions in an emergency.

dave29

Reaction score
We'll be there at the end of July, I'll be surprised if the forests are back open by then, unless they get significant rains.

Should be a fun vacation sitting around my uncle's house...
Expected containment date is July 30. The air quality has improved and we are expecting rain tonight and all day Saturday. The fire is moving west away from Durango and HWY 550 is now open. You should be good for your trip.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Expected containment date is July 30. The air quality has improved and we are expecting rain tonight and all day Saturday. The fire is moving west away from Durango and HWY 550 is now open. You should be good for your trip.

We'll see. I lived there during the Missionary Ridge fire, it changed course several times before finally burning into the Weminuche (sp) Wilderness.

A month is a long time, I'm sure the 416 fire won't be an issue, just hoping no other fires are going by then.

Last edited:

dave29

Reaction score
Just an update for those of you that are heading here in July. We had a steady rain yesterday and it rained heavily for about 6 hours last night. The fire is 25% contained and burning west. Highway 550 will re open without restrictions at 8am today. Approx 90% of the evacuated have returned home. Air quality has improved dramatically.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Sad situation for sure. These pictures were sent to me by a friend in the area. Sucks.....Stay safe
EEC7A09F-D04A-44F5-9208-7F9C4CF659CD.jpeg
66604A0E-87BD-4C0B-AE5E-DBCD66165EB1.jpeg