WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DVR Security System Questions

floatn turd

Reaction score
My old Parents have been kicking around the idea of some home surveillance.
They went to Costco and picked this package because the Cameras "looked the best". (see below)

Questions:
  • Anyone have this setup, or any suggestions for others?
  • Is it a huge overkill?
  • A loose "ballpark" idea of what a company might would charge for the install?

Thank you

FT

Capture.PNG

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I just helped my neighbor install a Lorex 4k system with 8 cameras. Hardest part is running the cables thru the attic. Problem is without a 4k monitor, the cameras are only as good as what you are viewing the cameras on. That price seems a bit steep. Wait for special Black Friday sales, and that system could be purchased for about $300.

USMC2010

Reaction score
We are using Lorex 4k systems at work. I didn't used to have a dvr system recommendation until using this brand. Lorex is the best I have had hands on for the price in the last 8 years.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Question:
Can it be viewed thru their fancy shmancy smart TV?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
look at a Night Owl 4k with NVR. Best quality, has 2TB HD, get wired Ultra system uses Cat 5 cable, no other connections.
I have one of these for sale if op is interested. Bought it for my fil and he isn't gonna end up installing it.

$300 obo
IMG_20190602_193006.jpg
IMG_20190602_192808.jpg
IMG_20190602_192843.jpg
IMG_20190602_192941.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I bought a Lorex a year or more ago. Not that model. It has not been working too well the last month. I the hard drive is making noise.

78DiMarco

Reaction score
My old Parents have been kicking around the idea of some home surveillance.
They went to Costco and picked this package because the Cameras "looked the best". (see below)

Questions:
  • Anyone have this setup, or any suggestions for others?
  • Is it a huge overkill?
  • A loose "ballpark" idea of what a company might would charge for the install?

Thank you

FT

View attachment 760307
You may want to consider the Blink AT system. Cloud based and no fees and kicks ass.....

lbhsbz

Reaction score
For exterior cameras, I would recommend Wyze. They’re $20 each and work well.

I just watched a stray cat walk across the street 100ft away at 9:00pm. Stick a card in the camera and it’ll record for 12 hours or so, plus 12 second cloud recordings of every movement that occurs.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I will look into all those suggestions for the ol "Parental Units"

Thank you guys for the info.

FT

MohavValley

Reaction score
From what I read on wyze, they can only record for like 30 seconds then have a 5 min cooling off before they can record again.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
For exterior cameras, I would recommend Wyze. They’re $20 each and work well.

I just watched a stray cat walk across the street 100ft away at 9:00pm. Stick a card in the camera and it’ll record for 12 hours or so, plus 12 second cloud recordings of every movement that occurs.

There is an inherent problem with both DVR and especially memory card systems.
They get stolen.
2 weeks ago my junkie stepson tried to break in my house at 2:30 in the morning after I left for Colorado.
I went on my EZVis app and my exterior cameras were “off line”
They have card slots...and they were ripped out of the roof mounts and gone.
Luckily, I just accessed my cloud based storage and nailed the bastard.
Cops came and did a FaceTime walk around with me and said “yep, cameras are gone”.

I said “bummer...here’s the footage of the little asshole”.

Cloud is the shit.

E87FE9FA-F86E-4425-B30F-DAC36B7BE033.png

Cdog

Reaction score
Reolink. Mine are awesome.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I just put Ring doorbells in areas that cover places on the house I'd like to keep an eye on. Got 4 of them on the outside so far. Easy to set them up, adjust the areas that you want to be notified when there's motion, get those notifications on your phone or whatever device, have the videos recorded for a yearly fee that isn't too expensive, and be able to see a live view from anywhere you have internet access. They are also battery powered and last months without a charge while connecting to the internet via wifi = no wires to run at all. It's definitely been the best option for a camera system I've come across.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I just put Ring doorbells in areas that cover places on the house I'd like to keep an eye on. Got 4 of them on the outside so far. Easy to set them up, adjust the areas that you want to be notified when there's motion, get those notifications on your phone or whatever device, have the videos recorded for a yearly fee that isn't too expensive, and be able to see a live view from anywhere you have internet access. They are also battery powered and last months without a charge while connecting to the internet via wifi = no wires to run at all. It's definitely been the best option for a camera system I've come across.

My EZVIZ are the same except I went wired power instead of battery because of being away so much.
All wireless signal, motion, alerts, sirens that can be activated, 2 way audio, live view, etc all to your device anywhere you’re at.
No base station required.
$89 a camera and $65 a year per camera for 7 day loop cloud storage, which you can increase if you want.
Set up takes mere minutes.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Cheapest night owl system. Works as intended only thing that would be nice is if you buy a more expensive setup the cameras may be able to zoom in and out?
Screenshot_20190604-103053_Night Owl HD.jpg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Are you saying i have that option on mine? I dont see that and my mobile device.

Don’t know.

The EZVIZ I can zoom in like you do any picture on your phone, live or recorded.
If I zoom live view while recording it will record the zoomed image.
I think it goes to like 2.5x

Rocksworx

Reaction score
Home surveillance is a smart move! I've heard good things about that Costco kit; it's a solid choice. Installation can be a DIY breeze or a hired help. Some local pros offer setups for a few hundred bucks. However, I prefer the Vivint doorbell camera for security. Either way, peace of mind is priceless!

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
^^^^^
Is this 1 of those bot alerts some y'alls been squakin bout? Haha
Holly thread revival batman......