WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

E Bikes?

relaxalot

Reaction score
I am looking for a recommendation for a couple of Ebikes. I am looking for comfortable city type bikes but preferably mid drive with good motors (Bosch) or ? Anyone have any experience with these? I am hoping to find them under 3500 each.

badgas

Reaction score
Not A Mid drive but

We have these Aventon Pace 500 and a Pace 350 step thru They were $1299 and $1099 at Fullertion ebikes. They dont look as cool as the big heavy fat tire bikes but you can also pick them up and they are easy to ride if you run the battery out ( never happened ) as they are like a cruiser with gears. I have done a 40 mile ride and still had almost half a battery left. Fun at the beach and great for the hills in Havasu.

C08H18

Reaction score
i had a RAD bike for a few months. Did NOT like it and sold it 90 days later. I stepped up to a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp for single track but it's very comfortable for pavement cruising.

2Driver

Reaction score
Id stick with the name brands

Trek
Specialized

badgas

Reaction score
i had a RAD bike for a few months. Did NOT like it and sold it 90 days later. I stepped up to a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp for single track but it's very comfortable for pavement cruising.

Which RAD Power model did you have ?

old rigger

Reaction score
Rode my daughters boyfriend’s Segway around the block a few times last night. Have to admit, it was pretty cool. Kind of a lightweight dirt bike I guess you could call it.

DWC

Reaction score
Went with Electric Bike company. Got just under 200 miles on them. No issues. One of my favorite things to do every weekend.

1AFD3111-0360-4877-85C7-79A43362BA6B.jpeg
98D922DA-AC84-451C-91C6-F6BFE2406FD6.jpeg

Yesterday’s ride around the island up to Legendz and home.
0E982714-ABBF-4636-B56E-C709651DA860.jpeg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Saw these Sondors XS Fat Tire e-bikes for rent in downtown Ventura a few weeks ago. They look pretty cool.tura

They can be rented and bought in Downtown Ventura at

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Hell of a step up :cool:

X Hoser

Reaction score
X2 on the Electric Bike Company in Newport Beach. Appear to be very well built. Ours are holding up real good. Full electric or pedal assist. All the bells and whistles about $2500.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I looked at a few companies. Would of checked out more but they were to far of a drive. I was going to buy one and upgrade the seat. After comparing the lower model with upgraded seat version I realized it was better to spend the few hundred more and get the bigger battery and motor, upgraded seat, better brakes and shocks.

If I was on a budget I would buy the $1100 Nakto and spend $200 on upgraded seat and suspension seat post. GF Nakto does just fine as mine but no fancy seat although she upgraded it to a decent 1.

C08H18

Reaction score
Which RAD Power model did you have ?
it was the folding version with fat smaller diameter wheels/tires. don't recall the specific name. The 'folding' feature was a joke too. it worked well as an electric motorcycle using the twist throttle, but failed miserable as a pedal bike.

ssc

Reaction score
Another vote for the Electric Bike Company. They are built in Newport Beach. I got the R model and ride between Newport to Sunset etc. They also have a store in Huntington Beach. If you pick up the bike vs shipping you can save a few bucks.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: DWC

C08H18

Reaction score
Hell of a step up :cool:
One single track outing on the Turbo Levo and I stopped looking for a new KTM. 3 hr ride and 15 miles of single track and I was sold. Other than covering alot more miles, I enjoyed the eMTB just as much. Got the wife a Turbo Levo SL (less weight and easier her to manage).

bk2drvr

Reaction score
This is that Segway. I din't even know they built elec bikes.

View attachment 973293

Its going to be interesting how long it takes before there are regulations around these bikes. I see it's only a matter of time. When you can basically ride a dirt bike on the street, sidewalks, etc..... its hard to imagine it will last as more of these hit the street and get faster and more capable. I rode an electric bike around Laguna Beach about a year ago and coming from riding dirt bikes and quads my whole life I thought I was getting away with murder. That bike was nothing like the bike in this pic.

old rigger

Reaction score
does it have pedals? Looks more like an electric dirt bike than bicycle. Or maybe I just can't see them well in the pic. Looks fun but I could see them being banned from bike trails/paths if it doesn't have pedals.

Yes, no pedals. No one said anything about pedals, just E Bikes. I'm sure it'll be regulated to death but its a cool bike.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Yes, no pedals. No one said anything about pedals, just E Bikes. I'm sure it'll be regulated to death but its a cool bike.

I was asking more for myself. Would love to get something like that but I think they would ban them on my local MTB trails if I showed up with one. We are already fighting with the hikers and horse people and we are on just regular MTB's.

old rigger

Reaction score
Not too bad for the top of the line - $5k
I think he said he paid $3200 and I have no idea if his top of the line or a lower model? His neighbor buys them in bulk, assembles them then sells.

Last edited:

Havasu311

Reaction score

Bought bikes from Devin (owner) about a year ago. They've been a great bikes. Identical to a Murf minus the name. I got the 750 fat tire and got the ol lady the 500 standard tire. I’m in Dana Point and he’s in San Clemente so that was convenient for me. Happy hunting. These bikes were a great bang for the buck. Hope this info helped.

-Devon

Ol Man

Reaction score
Saw these Sondors XS Fat Tire e-bikes for rent in downtown Ventura a few weeks ago. They look pretty cool.tura

They can be rented and bought in Downtown Ventura at

Stopped and talked to them on Thursday. Looks like nice bikes.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I own a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp and I bought the wife a Specialized Turbo Como and she loves it. It’s a great bike for cruising around the beach and on the streets. Male version is the Vado. A little over your budget but well worth it.

EBT531

Reaction score
I have a Cube stereo hybrid 140. Love it so far, put about 100 miles on it last month. On the eco setting I get over 60 miles per charge, or you turn it up to turbo and there's basically no effort to climb any hill you can keep the front end down for.

78Southwind

Reaction score
How an e-bike conversion kit for a mountain bike? Has anyone done one?

manxman

Reaction score
My buddy in Newport just started house of lithium last year. He worked for years at Zero motorcycles and they canned him because of covid. He is a strugling local company with some pretty cool bikes. I wound up buying a couple for my kids and they are great.
House Of Lithium - Electric Bicycles - Newport Beach, California
I personally ride a Fantic 150 (Italian made) E-bike and I love it. My fat ass can ride 20 or 30 miles in a session and it's a great work out, but I get to go further for my efforts. It makes me want to ride moto again, so I went out and got the Segway X260 and a Sur-ron X and so did a few friends. (i'm actually trying to become a dealer now)
20201111_124100.jpg
20210110_104731.jpg
20210110_104735.jpg
20210110_104739.jpg

We love riding the local mountain bike trails. It's super fun and it's something I look forward to doing.

One2go

Reaction score
My buddy in Newport just started house of lithium last year. He worked for years at Zero motorcycles and they canned him because of covid. He is a strugling local company with some pretty cool bikes. I wound up buying a couple for my kids and they are great.
House Of Lithium - Electric Bicycles - Newport Beach, California
I personally ride a Fantic 150 (Italian made) E-bike and I love it. My fat ass can ride 20 or 30 miles in a session and it's a great work out, but I get to go further for my efforts. It makes me want to ride moto again, so I went out and got the Segway X260 and a Sur-ron X and so did a few friends. (i'm actually trying to become a dealer now)
View attachment 973499 View attachment 973500 View attachment 973501 View attachment 973502

We love riding the local mountain bike trails. It's super fun and it's something I look forward to doing.
What's the cost on that fantic,looks nice.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
OK.....I will ask....how the heck do you get a workout on an e bike? Do motorized laws pertain to these things?

DWC

Reaction score
OK.....I will ask....how the heck do you get a workout on an e bike? Do motorized laws pertain to these things?
You can get as much or little workout as you’d like. Turn the peddle assist off and it’s a damn good workout because of the gearing and weight of the bike. I keep it on low settings and increase going up hills or into the face of 20mph winds. It’s absolutely cheating but allows to cover some ground. You can flip it to full assist and kick your legs up for a joy ride. I wouldn’t recommend it without a helmet. Thing hauls ass. It’s up to the user.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

I recently got an E-mountain bike to help with some of the steep hills in my area. It has five assist levels (five being the highest power) and I usually use only level 1 just to take the edge off. It's pretty good for making like a 14% grade more like a 7% grade. Still a good workout if you are disciplined about it and don't let it do all the work for you.

It also gets me out to ride on days I'm not really feeling it. If I didn't have a way to make it so I won't get my ass kicked so bad, I wouldn't ride that day at all. Better to get some workout than nothing at all.

DLC

Reaction score
How long does a battery last before a recharge?

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
How long does a battery last before a recharge?

Depends on a few factors...how big the battery is in the first place, how heavy you and the bike are, how much assist you use, and what type of terrain you are riding.

Mine is brand new and I did a roughly 10 mile mountain bike ride the other day with some pretty significant hills and I used somewhere between 5-10% of the battery. My bike is advertised at 40-50 miles per charge on average, but I think I can get a lot more out of it with the way I use it.

Reactions: DLC

GetNautical

Reaction score
We purchased a kit on Amazon and converted my old mountain bike into an eBike for my son. Runs great. Pedal assist or throttle only. 12.5AH on the battery and 1000W on the motor, which is plenty fast. My son rides from Irvine to Newport and back without a problem. Was a fun project to work on together.

1613568143856.png
1613568229694.png

HBCraig

Reaction score
Nakto is a brand I bought my son. It has served us well so far.

manxman

Reaction score
I am a big guy (range from 250 to 260 lbs) When I was younger , I rode moto and am a decent rider, but I never raced. I wanted a little bit of that adrenalin feeling again without killing myself for work work the next day. I was invited to do a ride with friends who ride often. We rode Lake Morena trail in San Diego. It's a 22 mile loop with a ton of elevation change (around 3000') Some sections are Black diamond. If I was on a regular bike, I would have died in the first 3 miles. On my Fantic , I was able to ride the whole thing only walking maybe 3 sections were the rocks and climb were to knarley for me. It took several hours with a few rest stops, but I did it and it was awesome. I made it back with about 10% battery left. It makes me think I have a fighting chance to keep up with the guys who can do it on a normal bike. I know I need to loose weight, but for me, it doesn't happen overnight and this at least gets me out and moving!

Fenderbender

Reaction score

That’s like saying how is riding motocross a workout. It has two wheels but isn’t that same as a traditional mtn bike. Because of the the motor you ride it in a different way. Mire miles, more technical climbing and overall more downhill. All in all it is better for you if you still go at it with some intensity. Your heart rate is lower but still elevated for a longer period of time. It has been proven that high heart rate steady state cardio is not the only or is it the best for overall health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That’s like saying how is riding motocross a workout. It has two wheels but isn’t that same as a traditional mtn bike. Because of the the motor you ride it in a different way. Mire miles, more technical climbing and overall more downhill. All in all it is better for you if you still go at it with some intensity. Your heart rate is lower but still elevated for a longer period of time. It has been proven that high heart rate steady state cardio is not the only or is it the best for overall health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Motorcross is a workout for sure.

I didn't know you just use the power for backup and normally just pedal away.

sirbob

Reaction score

Bought bikes from Devin (owner) about a year ago. They've been a great bikes. Identical to a Murf minus the name. I got the 750 fat tire and got the ol lady the 500 standard tire. I’m in Dana Point and he’s in San Clemente so that was convenient for me. Happy hunting. These bikes were a great bang for the buck. Hope this info helped.

-Devon

These are great bikes and I see a bunch of them around - however the 750 is not the same as a Murf Alpfa.

The Alpha has a peddle driven motor not a hub motor. Its completely different. Also no gears on the Murf Alpha. There are other differences but those 2 are the most obvious.

Last edited:

78Southwind

Reaction score
We purchased a kit on Amazon and converted my old mountain bike into an eBike for my son. Runs great. Pedal assist or throttle only. 12.5AH on the battery and 1000W on the motor, which is plenty fast. My son rides from Irvine to Newport and back without a problem. Was a fun project to work on together.

View attachment 973552 View attachment 973553

What brand and model is that? I can't really see it in the pictures.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Come by and ride my eMTB Tom you'll be hooked. Perfect bike for your set up

I already have a Specialized but it isn't motorized. Would something like the motorized be the ticket for getting around Zion, Glacier, Yellowstone....places like that?

Thanks for the offer.....may take you up on it before I leave in April for the road. Does it come in styles with ape hangers? lol

2Driver

Reaction score
I already have a Specialized but it isn't motorized. Would something like the motorized be the ticket for getting around Zion, Glacier, Yellowstone....places like that?

Thanks for the offer.....may take you up on it before I leave in April for the road. Does it come in styles with ape hangers? lol

Bottom line is if you have a pedal assist bike with a motor rated at 250 watts or less, then you are pretty much considered a bicycle in most, but not all places. For instance AZ signed into law that they are not a motor vehicle and have all the rights of a bicycle. BLM and most National parks do the same, but not all. You are good to go on roads I would guess anywhere, it’s just how much they are accepted off road which is opening up all over as long as it’s assist and 250 watt motor- the battery can be any size.

The key is you can ride farther and breeze the hills where you may not normally want to take a bike. I rode way back in Tonto in an area closed to off roading and got into some nice isolated back country via sand wash. No way you could ride that on a bike. My wife rides to tennis in the summer and doesn’t break a sweat. You can dial it back and peddle more or less. All configurable as you might expect.