WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Early 90’s Baja build quality?

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the build quality and rigging for early 90’s Bajas?

I have an opportunity to scratch a few itches for now while I chase down a Hallett 270.

Thanks!

shunter2005

Reaction score
They are known to have stringer and transom issues. If you look at one, be sure to check for soft floors and transom moisture.

farmo83

Reaction score
A boat that old is more how it was cared for after the factory. A family friend had an islander that he put an old gale banks setup in. Ran great for many years.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1616359441316.jpg
    FB_IMG_1616359441316.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 105

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the build quality and rigging for early 90’s Bajas?

I have an opportunity to scratch a few itches for now while I chase down a Hallett 270.

Thanks!

I had a 93 Baja Islander for 3 years, put about 60 hours on it. Same exact hull as pictured above, but with much gayer and less classy gel design. I loved that boat because I got into it for a song, the interior was all white vinyl in great shape and I did some tasteful upgrades that made it mine. I hated the pink and teal gel stripes. I also hated how much of a dog it was and the fact that it didn’t have through transom exhaust because 50% of the fun of boating are the sounds. It had a rebuilt 454 that ran fine mechanically and a bravo 1, but I think the drive was too low on it or it was just too heavy of a boat for the power cause it took way too long to plane for my liking, and it was just too slow at a 50mph boat. I played with props but nothing made a noticeable difference on time to plane, so i just chose the cheaper quicksilver 4 blade in a 19p I believe.

To be honest, not really sure what is meant by rigging quality. If you’re asking if it was held together with drywall screws, no it wasn’t. Was the wiring and fit/finish the quality of my new to me early 2000’s Ultra? No. And it’s not on par with any of the west coast custom builders. But I was into the boat for under 10k, and if I hadn’t have wanted to buy a house, I would still own it. I did replace all the stainless screws that secured the open bow fiberglass to the the floor with through bolts because the screw would back out on a rough trip across Havasu in a bumpy day.

I would buy one again if the price was right and it was in good condition. Downside is no one will thing you’re cool for owning a Baja. I say that in jest, but they aren’t status symbols, they’re a fun recreational /semi speed boat that was production built to a price point.

farmo83

Reaction score
I had a 93 Baja Islander for 3 years, put about 60 hours on it. Same exact hull as pictured above, but with much gayer and less classy gel design. I loved that boat because I got into it for a song, the interior was all white vinyl in great shape and I did some tasteful upgrades that made it mine. I hated the pink and teal gel stripes. I also hated how much of a dog it was and the fact that it didn’t have through transom exhaust because 50% of the fun of boating are the sounds. It had a rebuilt 454 that ran fine mechanically and a bravo 1, but I think the drive was too low on it or it was just too heavy of a boat for the power cause it took way too long to plane for my liking, and it was just too slow at a 50mph boat. I played with props but nothing made a noticeable difference on time to plane, so i just chose the cheaper quicksilver 4 blade in a 19p I believe.

To be honest, not really sure what is meant by rigging quality. If you’re asking if it was held together with drywall screws, no it wasn’t. Was the wiring and fit/finish the quality of my new to me early 2000’s Ultra? No. And it’s not on par with any of the west coast custom builders. But I was into the boat for under 10k, and if I hadn’t have wanted to buy a house, I would still own it. I did replace all the stainless screws that secured the open bow fiberglass to the the floor with through bolts because the screw would back out on a rough trip across Havasu in a bumpy day.

I would buy one again if the price was right and it was in good condition. Downside is no one will thing you’re cool for owning a Baja. I say that in jest, but they aren’t status symbols, they’re a fun recreational /semi speed boat that was production built to a price point.

So the boat above had a 468 with a gale banks and the owner claimed would run in the low 80s. He bought a radar gun one summer (pre GPS and all) and that boat clocked in at a solid 63 mph. Over the winter that boat went bye bye and the owner rolled in with a 26 foot daytona with a procharged 540 the following year

evantwheeler

Reaction score
So the boat above had a 468 with a gale banks and the owner claimed would run in the low 80s. He bought a radar gun one summer (pre GPS and all) and that boat clocked in at a solid 63 mph. Over the winter that boat went bye bye and the owner rolled in with a 26 foot daytona with a procharged 540 the following year

Those islanders are great family boats, but they weren’t designed to be fast. Better than a Bayliner, but nothing like an Eliminator Eagle. They do great at what they were designed to do.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Re sale is kind of difficult in the Southwest. At least it was for me. Lots of lookers because it was so clean and tastefully upgraded, but everyone passed because of the name and spent more on West Coast name brand boats. I ended up selling to a young kid that was upgrading from a ski boat. I bet he is loving it.
May be different experience now with the covid boat situation.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
I have a cousin that had a ‘92 outlaw it was a 25 or 27 footer, whatever the outlaw was. It had a blown 502 with a chiller on it and it would run an honest 89mph. It was a fairly solid boat with some decent hardware that someone took the time to install correctly.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
If I have a pic it’s buried deep in my laptop somewhere. I know somewhere on there I have an old iPhone video of it running on the hose at my old shop. We had to change the flywheel ring gear one morning and we were running it after we put everything back together. I will look on my computer this evening to see what I can find.