WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

East Coast Center Consoles......should I bring one west? Big blue itch is calling.....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Starting to get the itch to play in the ocean, and find a multi-purpose boat that can do Havasu / river and have a fun day out on Big Blue. Leaning towards looking for a center console, Twin outboard 4 stroke power, around 30' in length. Aluminum trailer would be a big plus so you can dunk it in salt and have it last.

Never heard of this brand, but i'd image a pair of 275 Verado's moves it along 55+ ? Maybe im optimistic on the speed.....

1596685476898.png

Not my choice of colors, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed. Has a little west coast flair already with the interior and sea-deck flooring. Mostly an open bow that can have seating added if needed, still has a small cuddy for toilet / storage up front. I'd imagine it would do decent in the ocean, and ride like a cadillac in havasu

Opinions? Anyone else tempted to do the same?

Our new house is less than 30 minutes to Oxnard harbor, would be awesome to go play for the weekend in the ocean.

@Tank Talk me out of it.....

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
It makes some sense but you’ll need to watch your monthlies.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Been looking for months. $4000 to bring it west
Good to know. Not doing anything yet but once we get settled, maybe next year. Any specific boats are you are keeping an eye out for?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
A lot of great CC ‘s available out there. Do your research. I would be looking at an all composite boat with zero wood. Some brands.... Early SCARAB CC‘s for instance, have a real problem with water intrusion into the wood. Both on the deck and also the transom. These boats take on a lot of water when out fishing, so how they are designed to deal with water and drainage is a very important aspect to its longevity. The hull truth is a great site to look for real world experience on these types of boats.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Good to know. Not doing anything yet but once we get settled, maybe next year. Any specific boats are you are keeping an eye out for?
either a 25 or so center console or a dual console. 250+ outboard. Low hours. Like The seafox line. Winter will be different.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
A lot of great CC ‘s available out there. Do your research. I would be looking at an all composite boat with zero wood. Some brands.... Early SCARAB CC‘s for instance, have a real problem with water intrusion into the wood. Both on the deck and also the transom. These boats take on a lot of water when out fishing, so how they are designed to deal with water and drainage is a very important aspect to its longevity. The hull truth is a great site to look for real world experience on these types of boats.
Great points! I'm sure alot of them get ridden hard and literaly put away wet....

Backlash

Reaction score
I would lean heavily towards a used Fountain CC. That boat probably has one of the most dialed in bottoms in the size range you are looking for. You could probably get lucky and find one in Texas or even out here in CA.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Starting to get the itch to play in the ocean, and find a multi-purpose boat that can do Havasu / river and have a fun day out on Big Blue. Leaning towards looking for a center console, Twin outboard 4 stroke power, around 30' in length. Aluminum trailer would be a big plus so you can dunk it in salt and have it last.

Never heard of this brand, but i'd image a pair of 275 Verado's moves it along 55+ ? Maybe im optimistic on the speed.....

View attachment 907182

Not my choice of colors, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed. Has a little west coast flair already with the interior and sea-deck flooring. Mostly an open bow that can have seating added if needed, still has a small cuddy for toilet / storage up front. I'd imagine it would do decent in the ocean, and ride like a cadillac in havasu

Our new house is less than 30 minutes to Oxnard harbor, would be awesome to go play for the weekend in the ocean.

Im still kicking it around even though we are leaning more towards a toon..

mbrown2

Reaction score
That Avanti looks like a Concept 30/32... likely a fast hull.

Reactions: KAP

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Do it! Helped a friend pick up this 36' Concept from Kentucky last weekend. He drove out a couple days ahead and I met him for the return trip. Only stopped for fuel, driver swap and sandwiches on the tailgate. It's still a blur but I think we made it back in about 24 hours total with cruise set at 75-77. Would have been fun to make a real trip of it since we weren't far from Lake Cumberland, LOTO, Grand Lake, Table Rock, etc. but too much going on.

I believe @Groper was the original owner. Even had a build thread here on RDP back in 2012. Funny that it ended up back out West. I don't think the boat has ever touched salt.

20200801_114459.jpg
20200801_130810.jpg
20200802_111232.jpg
20200802_054402.jpg
20200801_114459.jpg
20200801_130810.jpg
20200802_111232.jpg
20200802_054402.jpg

Looks like a UFO following us somewhere outside Flagstaff at sunrise lol

-Zack

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

View attachment 907182

Just don’t buy anything sight unseen from the east coast. As others have said, they’re used and abused out here. Virtually none are stored indoors. Not sure your budget but Nor-tech and Sunsation CC look nice, good performance.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
It would be really cool to be able to hang out at the Channel islands.

Tank

Reaction score
Avanit had been around for a while in the 90's and early 2000's. Pretty sure they're out of business now. Built out of Miami like Concept and Ocean Hawk and Renegade - And like them molds were splashed from other molds that originally came from an Aronow hull / Cigarette hull like pretty much EVERY vee hull on the east coast in the the 80's and 90's. Avanti was nothing super special. Wood and glass built, build quality wise has been debated on various forums. Some are NOT fans of the brand. The hull is in fact basically the same hull as the 30 Concept since they all have roots backed to Aronow hulls. And know this, the 30 Concept had issues with porpoise and required a lot of tab to keep it from hopping.

If you're going to run in the ocean, especially out of Channel Islands that routinely gets big water, I'd recommend looking at 33' to 36' boats. Always buy bigger than you think ;) . I would recommend getting a cuddy for the kids and wife to get out of the heat and make a sandwich or cocktail or lay down. The 36 Concept is a great boat, but SHIT the prices have climbed on new and used Concepts over the past 6 years. Used to be able to grab a used (8-10 years old or so) 36 Concept in decent shape for 65k or less. Now tough to find one under 100k. It should be noted Concepts are not self bailing as well. Some have issue with this. I don't personally. AJ / Lucky Strike is selling his 2019 36 Concept for 199k. Things over the top nice.

I really like the 33 Ocean Hawks (which is a 35 Cigarette Cafe hull, which is a 35 Cigarette Mistress hull) and Cigarette actually built the 33' Cafe Open for a few years in the 90's. Then Ocean Hawk took the mold back and built them again. They still build them in south Florida but are rare on the market. There's an 05 listed now for 105k that looks very nice.

Buddy just bought a 29' Hydra-sport he runs in the ocean. he's a big fisher though and its an open bow boat. You may have saw it, he drug it out there for desert storm / not desert storm weekend in Havasu. He was anchored up with us when we were all at that spot down from Pirates and your brother was there etc. Boats like teal / blue. Fun boat, purpose built to fish in the ocean but Hydra Sports are a great boat!

I'm also a fan of the 302 Scarab. But like mentioned above they tend to get rot / wet under the helm and at the transom. My daughter and her fiance have two of them (an 80's model and a late 90's model). Fun boats, feel bigger than they are and handle the rough water very well. Worth looking into, just get it surveyed and moisture censored.

I wouldn't talk you out of a CC LOL. I was on the hunt for one right before we bought the Cigarette. Great multi purpose boat that you can tow the kids behind on a tube at the lake, party barge it with friends or run out to the islands in the ocean all comfortably. I say DO IT. 😁

Reactions: DWC

Tank

Reaction score
I am really surprised that Lavey @lavey jr hasn't tooled up a CC based on the 2750 bottom or any of their others? I know that Tahiti Offshore was going to also @Goodtime$ ?
Preeeeeeeeetty sure Eliminator was looking into building one as well. DCB is still getting theres done. I think a 30 CC from a west coast company would sell really well.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Do it! Helped a friend pick up this 36' Concept from Kentucky last weekend. He drove out a couple days ahead and I met him for the return trip. Only stopped for fuel, driver swap and sandwiches on the tailgate. It's still a blur but I think we made it back in about 24 hours total with cruise set at 75-77. Would have been fun to make a real trip of it since we weren't far from Lake Cumberland, LOTO, Grand Lake, Table Rock, etc. but too much going on.

I believe @Groper was the original owner. Even had a build thread here on RDP back in 2012. Funny that it ended up back out West. I don't think the boat has ever touched salt.

View attachment 907219 View attachment 907220 View attachment 907221 View attachment 907222 View attachment 907219 View attachment 907220 View attachment 907221 View attachment 907222
Looks like a UFO following us somewhere outside Flagstaff at sunrise lol

-Zack

Tell Chad congratulations
He called and asked the difference in bottom ride
Told him I had that hull for years and it runs on rails
Good buy looks nice
Wish he had bought mine lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

lavey jr

Reaction score
I am really surprised that Lavey @lavey jr hasn't tooled up a CC based on the 2750 bottom or any of their others? I know that Tahiti Offshore was going to also @Goodtime$ ?

It’s always been a thought since 2005 after we debuted our 32 NuEra. Tooling cost is what’s holding back that plan. 30-35’ range would be ideal in my opinion

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
It’s always been a thought since 2005 after we debuted our 32 NuEra. Tooling cost is what’s holding back that plan. 30-35’ range would be ideal in my opinion

Build it and they will come . I’m guessing you would have a waiting list pages deep. they are simply so good at so many things. Everything from hanging out with friends on the lake , to slaying tuna offshore. A 38-40 ft CC will be my next boat.

Tank

Reaction score
Some more obligatory island boating photos.

I usually say this regularly whenever the topic of the Channel Islands comes up but I'll say it again - I've been going out to the islands as long as I can remember. I'm never NOT in awe at how stunningly beautiful it is out there. You feel like you're on another planet out there. It's just awe inspiring. For anyone that's never been, I highly suggest it. There's such cool stuff to see out there. Only 14 miles from CI harbor to the tip of Anacapa Island.

Random island pics in no particular order.

2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png
137-3722_IMG.JPG
137-3725_IMG.JPG
137-3738_IMG.JPG
1222.png
1234.png
Boating%207-5-08%20%283%29.jpg
Boating%207-5-08%20%2827%29.jpg
Boating%207-5-08%20%2836%29.jpg
Boating%207-5-08%20%2845%29.jpg
Boating%207-5-08%20(2).jpg
Boating%207-5-08%20(4).jpg
Boating%207-5-08%20(40).jpg
Boating%207-5-08.jpg
IMG_0750.JPG

Tank

Reaction score
Must've been tough.

;)
LOL, that thing was pretty nice. 4 staterooms and another rear bunk room for crew, elevator, full kitchen, big ol living room. It only had one big diesel and ran about 9 knots but did it in style. Interesting boat, he bought it an added the 3rd story to it. Had it in 20 plus foot seas coming down from San Francisco when he first brought it here.

RodnJen

Reaction score
I would suggest not limiting your search to CC's . There are plenty of builders in that size range that make some fantastic coastal runners that offer versatility and overnight capabilities when needed. The Pursuit line is one of my favorites in the 28' to 35' range, but there and many others.

Tank

Reaction score
These photos really show how amazing it is out there. Buddy took these a couple months ago while flying over.

1st pic looking from Santa Cruz South/East towards Anacapa. The beach area with the waves breaking in the foregrond is Smugglers Bay. It's where the pics of all of us tied together, wake surfing, kids swimming etc were taken.

13.png

From southern tip of Anacapa looking north / west with Santa Cruz in the background.
14.png

This shot is circling the south end of Santa Cruz looking back at the mainland east. Chinese Harbor.

15.png

The gorgeous beach is Cochise Bay. Looking at getting a few boats together probably in Sept and run out there for the weekend. Back side of Santa Cruz.

16.png

Last edited:

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I cant believe a lot of the boat builders out here havent. Been on Bob at Shockwave to use the 34 magnatude mold maybe. I think they are really gonna catch on sooner or later. DCB would kill it with a cc. But then again they already killin it

Goodtime$

Reaction score
I bought the 35’ seahunter tools years ago and so slammed w Deckboats I can’t see straight.

23cc is my project for southern Cal. I just need to tool a deck mold.

The 35t is a bigger tournament boat that would do well in Cabo and Costa Rica / area

I have no desire to build a nortech style boat for havasu. I want to slay tuna and run offshore. Nortech is beyond anything we can do in California manufacturing

DWC

Reaction score
Some more obligatory island boating photos.

I usually say this regularly whenever the topic of the Channel Islands comes up but I'll say it again - I've been going out to the islands as long as I can remember. I'm never NOT in awe at how stunningly beautiful it is out there. You feel like you're on another planet out there. It's just awe inspiring. For anyone that's never been, I highly suggest it. There's such cool stuff to see out there. Only 14 miles from CI harbor to the tip of Anacapa Island.

Random island pics in no particular order.
View attachment 907536 View attachment 907537 View attachment 907539 View attachment 907540 View attachment 907541
great pics. Still no

1596778656410.gif

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
we just chartered a 33 Avanti on St John in July. It ain't light or fast but eats up the ocean with ease.
Kinda like the Kachina of CC in a way if you ask me. Not bad, not over the top good either. Could be a good value if bought right.