WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Eating goat

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Anyone?

I was in Corona the other day and noticed a hole in the wall Mexican store that apparently, by my limited Spanish skills, sells goat meat exclusively.
I didn’t stop in but does make me curious.
I think? I’ve had it? Long ago in my single alcohol infused days? Can’t say I remember it, so I know it wasn’t horrid, or I’d remember it:D

What’s the skinny on the kid?
Any family favorite recipes?
Any above par taco shops serve it I could hit in the IE?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
It's an acquired taste and can taste like shit if not done right.

There's a new spot off 6th and Smith in corona called el chivito birrieria that's surprisingly really good. It's in the same shopping center as the Wal-Mart.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
went to a wedding for a friend from trinidad and curry goat was on the menu, people had a look on their face when they heard goat was on the menu but at the end people were making to go plates and none was left

2Driver

Reaction score
Use double your favorite seasoning, smoker for 12 hours with a leather work glove on either side of the goat.
After 12 hours remove goat and throw it away and eat the gloves

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
We were on vacation in San Antonio when my 2 girls were little. Having lunch at a favorite Mexican restaurant in the Farmer's Market, I ordered a Cabrito special. One asked what was that meat I was gnawing of such a tiny rib bone. "Baby goat," was my reply. Horrific screams and tears followed.....Damn it was good.:D

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Use double your favorite seasoning, smoker for 12 hours with a leather work glove on either side of the goat.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It's not bad when done right, if not it makes the worse deer taste good

BingerFang

Reaction score
Very popular down in Baja in some of the small towns. It is absolutely delicious.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Anyone?

I was in Corona the other day and noticed a hole in the wall Mexican store that apparently, by my limited Spanish skills, sells goat meat exclusively.
I didn’t stop in but does make me curious.
I think? I’ve had it? Long ago in my single alcohol infused days? Can’t say I remember it, so I know it wasn’t horrid, or I’d remember it:D

What’s the skinny on the kid?
Any family favorite recipes?
Any above par taco shops serve it I could hit in the IE?

It can't be worse than eating camel. That... is simply revolting.

sirbob

Reaction score
When I was a young sales rep selling Marlboro cigs, my territory was Santa Ana.

El Toro market used to basically sell 4 things. Marlboros / Budweiser / fresh tortillas made fresh all day and baked goat heads. Every time I called on them we would walk the Tortilla line and grab a hand full - then pull a goat head out of the oven and eat some of the best tacos I’ve had!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Grew up in a half breed home. Pops' side of the family had it at family stuff at the park and backyards...I don't think it was ever served inside. I liked it, as long as it wasn't staring at me;)

Some friends that were overseas hate it, smell and taste. They say it was the only readily available meat in the outskirts of Afghanistan...dunno:)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Down here the Basque sheepherders get a young kid and young lamb, dress em, wrap em in banana leaves and pit BBQ them with ail trimmings ( herbs, spices, fruits, veggies, taters, onions ect.) in custom cast iron coffins. Then use a mix of ironwood and mesquite coals for a slow cook.
When it comes out of the ground it's a fall off the bone feast and party all night. The head meat is sublime
Mmmmm....Basque food:) Bakersfield had some good spots...Rack of lamb, tongue and buckets of home fries! Getting fat just thinking about it:D

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I can think of a 1000 things id rather eat than a goat...:rolleyes:... But thats just me:D

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
NAAAAAAAAA!:D
B266E3A9-6542-4DF1-818D-72E54495A6D3.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
went to a wedding for a friend from trinidad and curry goat was on the menu, people had a look on their face when they heard goat was on the menu but at the end people were making to go plates and none was left

Curry goat is also hugely popular in Jamaica...and you’re right, it’s delicious and once we got over it being goat, we ate that shit on the daily [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I thought the meat in the vertical rotisserie in all the Mexican places was goat..

I’ve had that a few times and it was good? Is it not goat?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
When I was a young sales rep selling Marlboro cigs, my territory was Santa Ana.

El Toro market used to basically sell 4 things. Marlboros / Budweiser / fresh tortillas made fresh all day and baked goat heads. Every time I called on them we would walk the Tortilla line and grab a hand full - then pull a goat head out of the oven and eat some of the best tacos I’ve had!

Two different things. Those heads you saw were cabeza de borrego (sheep) not chivo (goat). You'd know because in its purest form, or at least the way el toro preps the sheep's heads, goat tastes like shit.

I thought the meat in the vertical rotisserie in all the Mexican places was goat..

I’ve had that a few times and it was good? Is it not goat?
You're thinking of gyros
Al pastor is marinated pork

Last edited:

Maestro

Reaction score
Goats done right is delicious. My uncle a ran a side job of butchering goats that I helped him on. Primarily Hispanics and Asians. I can get a fresh still breathing goat of your selection and haveit in your cooler in about 30 min. All why you watch now cooking it is the trick. The meat is tough and gamey. Slow cooking is the key.

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Two different things. Those heads you saw were cabeza de borrego (sheep) not chivo (goat). You'd know because in its purest form, or at least the way el toro preps the sheep's heads, goat tastes like shit.

You're thinking of gyros
Al pastor is marinated pork[/QUOTE

if you say so - I wouldn’t know the difference. I’m just going by what the guy that made them told me?

if you say so - I wouldn’t know the difference. I’m just going by what the guy that made them told me?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So, you can get head in some of those shops in Santa Ana? Well then, Anaheim's got nothing on them then;)

lebel409

Reaction score
When I was a kid my boss was american indian. He'd throw BIG parties and always have something roast in a pit. Goat was tasty, but took a few CLs to get it to happen. They all said it was good, but the burro was better.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting:

Around the world, goat is the most widely consumed red meat. Approximately 63% of the world's population consumes goat meat, and it is especially prevalent in South Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I've had it a few times. The taco stand up by the church in the mountains above Loreto in Baja was my first time. Traditional Ranchero style is the way they prepared it. My wife ordered it with a balsamic glaze in Belize on our last trip down there and it was delicious.

I went to a paired tasting at Ballast Point Brewery a few years ago. The chef paired exotic meats with crazy beers. They served us some less exotic duck and elk sausages, but also Lion and Kangaroo. It felt weird to eat those animals, but I have to admit both were tasty.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Kind of like wild turkey!! Disgusting!!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Once had goat prepared by my Yugoslav crew. Young goat, stuffed with onions, lots of garlic, buried in pit BBQ and slow roasted. Served with a whole bunch of very dry red wine and hot home made bread. It was good . . . Wine and Bread. Goat was OK. Let’s just say I don’t find myself craving it.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
A good Ensenada Birria….like their fish tacos and carnitas , ALL TO DIE FOR !!!

nameisbond

Reaction score
I've never tried it. My town is home to the first Sikh "temple" in North America. Net result its a beacon for Sikh immigrants. My town also has a large South Asian population of Hindu's. They eat goat. Its in our regular grocery stores here. Costco here in the summer sells whole lambs.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting:

Around the world, goat is the most widely consumed red meat. Approximately 63% of the world's population consumes goat meat, and it is especially prevalent in South Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.

Here's the rest of that..

"Where they also eat Dogs and Guinea Pigs." :D

ltbaney1

Reaction score
goat is very tasty when done right. Barria is one of my go to's in a taqueria in the barrio.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Goats done right is delicious. My uncle a ran a side job of butchering goats that I helped him on. Primarily Hispanics and Asians. I can get a fresh still breathing goat of your section and have in your cooler in about 30 min. All why you watch now cooking it is the trick. The meat is tough and gamey. Slow cooking is the key.

Screen name checks out. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Goats done right is delicious. My uncle a ran a side job of butchering goats that I helped him on. Primarily Hispanics and Asians. I can get a fresh still breathing goat of your selection and haveit in your cooler in about 30 min. All why you watch now cooking it is the trick. The meat is tough and gamey. Slow cooking is the key.

Remind me never to piss you off..

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of the "lamb fries" in the movie Funny Farm! :D