WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Echo Gets New Launch Ramp

linus3

Reaction score
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR........:thumbsup Ill be up this weekend and if everything goes to plan........Ill have cold beer also. :D

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a quick guys trip. I'll see if I can work some beer in with you as well.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Ramp report.... Were you able to launch Brian. Alsop said his buddy was there last weekend and was not able to launch his I/O.
Sent via Android!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Brian just texted me that they watched an 18 foot boat try to launch and could not. He said non of us will be able to launch at Echo. He will post pics on Monday. I sure hope they are not done pouring. Its sad that we have waited so long for a ramp only to find that it is not useable in its current state.

Sent via Android!

vee-driven

Reaction score
it the ramp does not work, atleast i have a 4x4 and they have a nice beach area.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Headed out next weekend will ask Denny or Jeff whats up. If they are done all you 2wd guys pay for the mud and I will form it and finish it when the water drops for dock repairs.:thumbsup

linus3

Reaction score
Eric, I was with Brian and Matt watching these guys back down the ramp. Lets just say that if the driver opened the door to that Durango, it would have filled up. From our angle on the water, there was about 8 feet of water from the bottom of the ramp to the front of his car. Thats how far out he was. The kicker was the top of the fender on his single axel trailer were still dry that far out. This guy was hammering the throttle trying to drive it off the trailer while his buddies pushed. We were laughing our asses off. Another boater was filming it as well. Without dropping names we had heard they are catching crap from campers. I will say, the sand next to the ramp is getting a lot of usage. :D

NicPaus

Reaction score
To much slope. Did there trailer tires go off into the mud or was concrete still under just shallow? Long tow to bring my CAT and breaker:D

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
That is really sad. If the park had contracted with a legitimate company they would be able to take legal action to fix the problem. I fear now that we will be left with a non useable ramp for the foreseeable future.

linus3

Reaction score
Did not look like the trailer went off the end but he was darn close. I honestly think this new ramp might have even taken out usage for smaller boats as well. :thumbsdown

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
If there is not enough slope then adding length to the end will do us no good unless you have a Wired For Sound lifted PU. So the options are to tear out all the new cement or start a new one on the other side of the seawall. My guess neither will be done.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If there is not enough slope then adding length to the end will do us no good unless you have a Wired For Sound lifted PU. So the options are to tear out all the new cement or start a new one on the other side of the seawall. My guess neither will be done.

Adams truck is only 2wd he has to push the truck out with the boat. I can launch you guy's just come by and ask did 4 boats last trip so neighbors did not have to go to rockhouse. We had planned on leaving an old 4x4 there for launching I should of jumped on the one with 44" s for 2K. Honda gets 30mpgs compared to 17 on my truck.

As fsr as redoing it I think they way over spent and would not spend twice to do it right. The concrete is 10" thick some place atleast it will break up easy with no steel in it. This could of been done right for a lot less had they had some guidance or hired someone licensed. Hell I would of volunteered my time. As far as pouring further out looks like wont do any good.

MattWolfy6

The General Lee
Reaction score
I walked down the launch ramp this past weekend and it's worse than before. I could put our Nautique in with 4WD on the old one, but now I'd be surprised if the wheel wells even get submerged. Once the ramp reaches the water it flattens out so most cars will have the rear and front wheels in the water. By that point trailers will be falling off the end of the ramp. We also noticed that sand was beginning to pile up at the water line. The only chance people will have at launching on this thing will be if the water level is very high so they actually have a slope to launch down.

However, it will provide some great entertainment for all those who live nearby.

linus3

Reaction score
Yes, I do believe it will provide our own little Site 6 come Sundays. :D

500bbc

Reaction score
Think they'll close it completely once someone rolls their trailer off the end and sues the park for damages?

What kind of idiot let 'em put it in like that anyway?:hmm

NicPaus

Reaction score
Think they'll close it completely once someone rolls their trailer off the end and sues the park for damages?

What kind of idiot let 'em put it in like that anyway?:hmm

That happens alot at Big Bend. Trailer tires get stuck behind concrete at end of ramp. Even in 4wd most cant get out once it happens.

The managers of Echo had there crews do it to save money. Watching them work was a joke. Seen some homeowners concrete jobs turn out better. Go look how uneven it is its a trip falll liability I would think.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
4 x 4 in the sand south of the new wall sounds like the ticket. Thank God for "Big Blue" (Old School Ford). Thanks for the heads up about big bend. I have not launched there in 15 or more years and was going to use it as option "B".

Several of us posting on this thread will be up next weekend and maybe we can get some concrete (pun intended) answers. Really disappointing to say the least. We all have been waiting for years for a new ramp and this is the worse outcome. We have completely loss the use of our ramp. We pay a premium price to have places at Echo and deserve better!:cry:

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
I also have my new yearly bill and having a hard time sending in the money with this SHIT going on!! Like you said Eric we pay a premium for a place at Echo and to thave this happen is very dissapointing

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
You going to drive out with me this Thursday Chris? I was thinking for Tom's guys trip we could use the launch ramp for our Bag Tournament seeing how it seems a shame to have all that concrete go to waste!

Post your ideas for alternative uses for our new un usable launch ramp here!

Last edited:

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
nope...remember we are having that get together at our house sat

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
Like Matt and Tom said, we were out this past weekend. We watched the Durango "launch" the 18' runabout (pictures below) on Friday afternoon when the water was up and then Matt and I walked out on the ramp yesterday morning when the water hadn't come up a whole lot yet and the water was ankle deep from the water line to the end of the ramp. I figure from where the water was, when the water is up, it's 12-18 inches different. Like I said before, SeaDoo's, WaveRunners and flatties are the only things that have a shot to be launched from this ramp when the water is up, and that will still take some muscle to get it off and on.

This ramp was a waste of time and money because we now have a 100% unusable boat launch. I know Eric seemed happy his annual bill hadn't gone up, but it in fact should have gone down because we will now have to leave the park to put our boats in the water...unless we all utilize the beach as our launch ramps, which is a strong possibility. They need to rectify this come winter when the water is down.

In the second picture, you can see that the driver is throttling to get off the trailer. It was pretty comical and sad at the same time.

Attachments

• DSC00846.jpg
    DSC00846.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC00849.jpg
    DSC00849.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 545

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Like the dock at the Del Rio Bar and Grill,, everything CRA does construction-wise is a fuckstory.

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Gee, who would have thought that they would fuck that up? LOL!!!

I was asking Jeff about the angle a couple of weeks ago and he was explaining to me how they were lowering the top of the ramp to make it easier. I was trying to explain how that wouldnt work because it wouldnt have enough angle but oh well. I've launched from the beach before. Thats way too funny!!!! :lmao:fsakes

hallett21

Reaction score
Could you pour more concrete at the top to steepen it? Seems pretty crappy that there just going to let it sit there

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Could you pour more concrete at the top to steepen it? Seems pretty crappy that there just going to let it sit there

No that would not help as the ramp at and below the water line has no slope. We do not know what the game plan is for CRA. Based on their track record we just expect the worst. Maybe they will surprise us and start over using a real contractor who has launch ramp experience.

linus3

Reaction score
I say we round everyone up this weekend, bring the ice chest, chairs, bags, beach towels, stereo and umbrellas. Have ourselves a little ramp party. Get our monies worth and click off a few pics. :D:champagne:

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I say we round everyone up this weekend, bring the ice chest, chairs, bags, beach towels, stereo and umbrellas. Have ourselves a little ramp party. Get our monies worth and click off a few pics. :D:champagne:

Great idea.... since the launch ramp now has no slope and a pool type beach entry:champagne:

Rivergirlz

Floater
Reaction score
Coming up Saturday to crash your all boys ramp party- Eric can you hit the AC when you get there for us?

BadPoor313

Reaction score

Sounds like a plan. If I make it up this weekend I'll stop by.

Skippy

Reaction score
I took video of his launch. I will try to post it

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Here is my first hand experience trying to launch at the new ramp this past weekend. I was using a F250 4 x 4 for the attempt. Because the ramp goes level once you get to the water line my trailer's prop guard bottomed out. I then drove over to the sand on the up river side of the ramp and launched from there. For those of you with direct drives or v drives you will need to make sure you have clearance at your prop guard or you will be out of luck like I was. I did not have a drop hitch to use to make a second attempt.

You will need to have a vehicle with some height to launch as you must drive out on the flat portion of the ramp to get to the end of the concrete. At the end the sand does slope down. The park took a couple of scoops of sand out to give it some slope but the hole was already filling in. You are better off sticking close to the block wall as this is where the slope is at the end of the cement.

If you do not have a lifted car your best bet is to launch early morning when the water is down. Be careful of the chunk of concrete that is in the middle of the ramp about half way down.

My buddy asked Jeff about the ramp and he said they are still working on it. Not sure what their plan is. Maybe to dig deeper at the end of the ramp and then pour more cement.

Attachments

• 2011-10-02 06.25.26.jpg
    2011-10-02 06.25.26.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 2011-09-30 10.14.54.jpg
    2011-09-30 10.14.54.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 2011-09-30 10.12.57.jpg
    2011-09-30 10.12.57.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 2011-09-30 10.12.12.jpg
    2011-09-30 10.12.12.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 2011-09-30 09.58.15.jpg
    2011-09-30 09.58.15.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 2011-09-30 06.22.53.jpg
    2011-09-30 06.22.53.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

rlemn8r

Let's go to the river..
Reaction score
I was there this weekend also and they sure did screw it up. I was able to launch on the right side up against the seawall. Good thing the truck is lifted or it probably wouldn't work. It also worked for me because i have a jet, so my trailer didn't get caught on anything.. My son in laws brother was able to launch his 25 carrera on the same side as me but his truck is also lifted. We had water about 4 inches from the bottom of our doors...

linus3

Reaction score
But wait........they are not done yet. :hmm:D

SLOPOKE

Reaction score
As seen it took three tries to launch my Flatbottom. Whoever the waterhead windowlicking engineer that thought putting a flat shelf 12" below the waterline was needs his nuts put in a vice. We went from one of the worst ramps to what everybody else has said "Unuseable". I admit from the waterline up it is way better and aside from being a little uneven would work fine. It aint fixable without a jackhammer. Ditch the shelf and we are good to go. Dont even need a blueprint just go to the Rock House and look at how it should be done.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I will be using it this weekend (attempt 2). I have a drop hitch now and will use the same F250 4 x 4. My goal is to try the ramp first and if that doesn't work use the beach again!

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
So what was your outcome Eric? Did you still need to use the beach?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
So what was your outcome Eric? Did you still need to use the beach?

Just got home. I put a drop hitch on and tried the ramp again today to pull my Nautique out. I had my buddy Jeff P from b row back Big Blue down the ramp and used the seawall side. The ramp is so uneven where it finally gets deep enough that I had trouble centering the boat on the trailer. Then when driving out the trailer drag both at the prob guard and in the front near the bow. Just crap.... I will go back to using the beach until they fix the ramp. Well, if they fix it.

It was entertaining watching people all weekend trying to figure out how to use the ramp.:grumble:

Attachments

• ramp1.jpg
    ramp1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 376
  • ramp2.jpg
    ramp2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 369

linus3

Reaction score
Ford is deep and the fenders on the lice trailer are still showing. What a joke. :thumbsdown

drew_built

Reaction score
I was there this past weekend took a look at the ramp and there was no way I was even going to try and launch I ended up at rock house

rlemn8r

Let's go to the river..
Reaction score
If you get closer to the seawall, thats where it seems to be better. Anybody with a ski or direct drive boat might have to try the left side, we were able to get my SIL boat in on that side, but with a little scraping. But you need something lifted, or water will be above the bottom of your door. But they sure did F it up thats for sure...

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I called the store today and was told that "phase 1" is complete and they will be starting "phase 2" when they finish another project at Rio.... I just hope "phase 2" means taking out the flat portion they poured on top of the old ramp so the grade can be continued at the water line.

BajaMike

Reaction score
They need to hire a rocket scientist to splain to them that a "launch ramp" is not normally FLAT!

:D:bowdown::party::drnkfr

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
It is the newest thing in launch ramps.... Called the beach entry!