WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ecoboost timing chain repair

hawgty55

Reaction score
Hey wanted to ask the inmates who if anybody has had the timing chain on their F-150 repaired and have had any issues since?

I bought a high-mileage 2012 F150 from my brother-in-law. Has been a good truck so far it does what I asked of it. Just curious if I should dump the 2 to $3,000 Intuit or if I am going to have this as a reoccurring problem.
IMG956383(1).jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, depends on what you mean by "reoccurring". How many miles are on it, and is it giving you any signs of failure? If you like the truck, and the rest of it seems good, a reman long block may be a good option.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
wow . . . a 2012 w/ question marks . . . that sucks. I'm glad I'm on the downhill half of my tour of this place.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Hey wanted to ask the inmates who if anybody has had the timing chain on their F-150 repaired and have had any issues since?

I bought a high-mileage 2012 F150 from my brother-in-law. Has been a good truck so far it does what I asked of it. Just curious if I should dump the 2 to $3,000 Intuit or if I am going to have this as a reoccurring problem. View attachment 1001217

I did in a 2011. I suppose it depends on your symptoms. Mine was running rough so they said timing chain and i think something else. Motor blew before i picked it up. Id have to ask what the issue was but the timing chain didnt fix all of it. It had 178k miles.

Jaspers now has a motor for those but its about 5k i think. You can find some other places for around 3k with 70k miles on them.

If your mechanic is confident id have him do it. There great trucks if they run good but don’t think they are high mileage vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hawgty55

Reaction score
Well, depends on what you mean by "reoccurring". How many miles are on it, and is it giving you any signs of failure? If you like the truck, and the rest of it seems good, a reman long block may be a good option.
Reoccurring meaning does the new fix of the timing chain take care of it for good and does it or has it lead to other issues. Truck has been good to us like i said and does what i ask of it. Truck has 188k miles on it. No other issues

hawgty55

Reaction score
I did in a 2011. I suppose it depends on your symptoms. Mine was running rough so they said timing chain and i think something else. Motor blew before i picked it up. Id have to ask what the issue was but the timing chain didnt fix all of it. It had 178k miles.

Jaspers now has a motor for those but its about 5k i think. You can find some other places for around 3k with 70k miles on them.

If your mechanic is confident id have him do it. There great trucks if they run good but don’t think they are high mileage vehicles.

Thanks i might have to agree with you in the mileage. Ive never really been a specific manufacturer guy but ill say this. Ill never purchase another Ford vehicle again.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Thanks i might have to agree with you in the mileage. Ive never really been a specific manufacturer guy but ill say this. Ill never purchase another Ford vehicle again.

Ive had several fords and several chevys. Some guys have a lot of luck with both and some crap out at 200k miles. Ive never personally had or seen a high mileage ford, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. My family has always been chevy. Both my uncles and dad had 2500’s with the duramax. My dad turned 300k virtually trouble free miles. One uncle had high 300’s and the other high 400’s.

The problem with the ecoboost i had was that it was sublet to a friend of mine for there company use and he and his guys dis not change the oil as they should. With that turbo motor you need to stay on top of the maintenance. Other then the timing belt issue it went through a few coil packs. If it was me I would look at a motor swap, you will spend a bit more for the repair but will have a truck that will last some time.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Thats why im asking if im gonna do that type of deal id rather sell and take the money and put it into a diesel. But the market and new and used diesels as we know is outrageous.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Thats why im asking if im gonna do that type of deal id rather sell and take the money and put it into a diesel. But the market and new and used diesels as we know is outrageous.

Thats a crap shoot only you can decide. You may do the chain and get another 100k out of it or you can do it to find new issues and get another 10k. I called and called around and wasnt able to get a lot of feedback in any direction besides nobody rebuilds those engines. Jaspers just started offering them this year.

May lean on your mechanics advice if they feel like it will be reliable or if he isnt sure.

Blubyu

Reaction score
The shop does about one a week, pretty successful with the repairs. Most of these needed repairs come down to running shitty oil, and not changing the oil at the a realistic interval.

If you have questions call me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

575cat

Reaction score
Ecoboom or 5.4 , eco has 3 chains if eco better do long block .

lbhsbz

Reaction score

A misdiagnosis is not the same as a failed repair.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
A misdiagnosis is not the same as a failed repair.

Its been some time ago. Can’t really remember what happened to it. Could have been misdiagnosis.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Reoccurring meaning does the new fix of the timing chain take care of it for good and does it or has it lead to other issues. Truck has been good to us like i said and does what i ask of it. Truck has 188k miles on it. No other issues
I've seen people start to have issues, and then the "I'll get to it later" outlook. Usually the same folk that aren't the best on oil changes. Well, those motors will start to eat themselves. The most common issues I've seen on them, in that year and mileage range, turbo failure and throttle body. That said, those trucks around here are relatively babied. Some freeway use, but rarely a tow vehicle.

rrrr

Reaction score

The diesel isn't the answer if you're looking for reduced operating costs. As you noted, buying the truck will blow a hole in the budget. The coming Biden increase in fuel costs is going to disproportionately affect diesel compared to gasoline. You'll also be buying DEF.

Diesels need to be driven a lot of miles to stay happy. If you have any issues with the engine, repair costs can be eye watering.

Just some things to consider.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I believe the had a potential timing chain issue with the first two years of production. Mine is a 2014 with 160K trouble free miles. I have completed all necessary service especially fluids and filters.

sirbob

Reaction score
speaking of eco boost motors...

Why does it sound like a box of rocks being shaken when it first starts up for about 3 seconds (2019 model)?

Is that the chain flopping about before tension?

J5Daytona

Reaction score

Why does it sound like a box of rocks being shaken when it first starts up for about 3 seconds (2019 model)?

Just had this happen on our 2019 expedition , service writer said bring it in immediately . Ended up with new chain guides and some actuator for the vvt

hawgty55

Reaction score
Watch a few of these videos about ecoboost motors. This guy is a REALLY good ford tech resource. Does everything properly, all ford oem parts.

After about 3-4 videos should we be expecting your ford for sale soon? I ditched mine.

ie:

Ive watched him alot lately. He does a great job. And yes its leaning that way. Now it will be to fix and sell or sell as is.

hawgty55

Reaction score

Yup! Ding ding ding

hawgty55

Reaction score
The diesel isn't the answer if you're looking for reduced operating costs. As you noted, buying the truck will blow a hole in the budget. The coming Biden increase in fuel costs is going to disproportionately affect diesel compared to gasoline. You'll also be buying DEF.

Diesels need to be driven a lot of miles to stay happy. If you have any issues with the engine, repair costs can be eye watering.

Just some things to consider.
Its not budget deal or operating costs its more of im not paying over retail for a truck and ill be looking at 2009 to 12 dodges dont want the def . But i couldnt agree more qbout the mileage.

Damn i new i should have got that truck for her mothers day gift!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

its the tensioner getting pressure. There should be a spring inside that prevents it. It can also be because lack of oil pressure at startup due to anything in the oil system wearing out. Aluminum head with no bearing surfaces, if theres scoring from cam wear, a VVT solenoid or seal failing, the oil pump itself wearing, the pickup tube/screen... any loss in oil pressure REALLY causes problems for the entire timing system. Which is why many end up switching to a high pressure high volume pump... just blast the crap out of it with as much flow and pressure as possible to keep it working.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Yes - the tensioners need pressure to take up the slack.

Mike Rowe took the day off on the gen 1 3.5's.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Seems like everyone ditches them instead of repairing. Was hoping someone could chime in that had the service done.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Having the service done. Ill see what i do with it after its done. Might just use it for some more time and let my daughter drive it. Qlso in the market for a new ranch truck for my wife. Needs to be 4 wheel drive and diesel. No fords! Anyone have an older truck there looking to sell send them my way but im not paying corona prices so...

Reactions: DWC