WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

EFI Tuning/Tuner Recommendations?

hemetdragracer

Reaction score
Looking for a EFI tuner in the Havasu area...
So here's the back story, I have a 502 with a Whipple that was built by a bigger name shop in So Cal, It was tuned, but never lake tuned, first time out the impeller came apart, because evidently they didn't feel the need to replace it after they built and replaced the engine. I replaced it and it seemed fine, aside from being a bit fat, and sooting up the transom all the time... In the following month I noticed that if it reached 150* engine temp, my alarm would go off, and it went to limp mode, I called the builder/tuner, and he apologized and said they set it too low, but that being a fresh water cooling system, it shouldn't get that hot... this seemed odd to me, as I cant imagine that being a warm enough running temp. So being that it was mid season, I just dealt with it, not wanting to have the boat down. Some time past, and after trying to contact the shop for tuning, they never returned my calls, And I've continued to "deal with it" ... Well end of last season, It seems that if I run it hard, it hits the 150* mark within a few minutes and BEEP!!! Limp mode... Let it idle a few minutes off plane and its back to 100* or less, and fine again. The boat stays at my place in Parker now, so Id rather not drag it back to Cali, and I kinda feel like for the money I spent, I coulda got a call back from the original tuner/engine builder. My other concern is that Ive heard shops "lock" their programming?
Any thoughts or comments are appreciated... Thanks in advance...

River Runnin

Reaction score
I have a Renda Diacom that tells all about my engine! ... might check their website if it’s something that would help you out! ... I have a 170 thermostat and don’t throttle up until it opens, and it stays at 160 (on gauge) all day long! Even at WOT!

hemetdragracer

Reaction score
Sounds like you might a pieces of the old impeller caught in your cooling system causing a restriction.
Thought I got it all, but maybe not... Is it true that the temp shouldn't exceed 150* with a open cooling system, and no T-Stat (has a restrictor)?

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Thought I got it all, but maybe not... Is it true that the temp shouldn't exceed 150* with a open cooling system, and no T-Stat (has a restrictor)?

Don't know the answer, but Mercury Marine engines have a 142* thermostat for a reason. I would check everything for a piece of impeller or restriction first.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
My buddy Gabe owns SNP speed innovation's in Havasu he's an amazing tuner give him a call tell him Jason sent you
Screenshot_20190320-233017.png
Screenshot_20190320-233044.png

JDizel

Reaction score
I left messages at the EFI Store as well and have not heard back from them.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Brian Macy at efi store is local, but hard to reach. So I’m trying to get Alexi from Boostpower out.
I need the same thing as you, maybe we can setup a group deal, make it more worth someone’s time. Alexi needs your computer first so he can hack in past the password, brian Macy told me the same thing.
I have a Teague long block with quadrotor at 9lbs. Open cooling, im lucky if I can get the engine temp or oil to go much past 125, I just don’t run it hard and long enough.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Call Kelvy direct here is his cell 928-302-8915. @hold_j is that the number you have for him too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk