WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ehrenberg vs Rice Road

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before, but I have been a Rice Rd guy my whole life and never understood, still don’t really, the fear of it. But the new boat I got has a really low hanging drive so I was bit concerned about the dips on Rice so decided to give Ehrenberg a try for the first time.

I have to say, it was about a 35 minute longer drive, but the road is great, besides the bridge construction area, the scenery was nicer, interesting part was I didn’t see another boat on the road both going on Friday and coming home today, in fact today at one point there wasn’t a car in front or behind me for as far as I can see.

I could do without all the smashed butterflies all over my truck, but other than that I think I am a full time Ehrenberg user now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Seems to me Ehrennerg is about 15-20 minutes longer. That’s ok. It is my preferred way to go. Ehrenberg has some hazards, DUI locals, farm equipment, etc etc. But, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of any fatal accidents. There are some on here who prefer Rice Rd. That’s OK. But, if they are truly towing on Rice at the speeds some claim, . . . . . ? ?

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Gee, maybe if we post on a forum how nice of a drive that alternate way is, we could fuck it all up for those who've been enjoying it for years. 👍 😖

Taboma

Reaction score
Stevie Wonder could see what you did there!!! 😁

Human nature is amazing.
Regardless of what it is, from a paved or dirt road less traveled, a unique uncrowded place to eat, a remote cove with a beach, just anyplace where the masses haven't completely screwed it up, and the first thing we can't wait to do, is tell everybody we know, or post it on the internet.
Then when the place is overrun and trashed by the onslaught of humanity, we complain and lament how awesome it was before it was "Discovered".

So I'm going to shout it from the roof tops --- Rice Road is the BOMB and you can easily cruise it, towing a boat at no less than 80 mph. 😁

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Human nature is amazing.
Regardless of what it is, from a paved or dirt road less traveled, a unique uncrowded place to eat, a remote cove with a beach, just anyplace where the masses haven't completely screwed it up, and the first thing we can't wait to do, is tell everybody we know, or post it on the internet.
Then when the place is overrun and trashed by the onslaught of humanity, we complain and lament how awesome it was before it was "Discovered".

So I'm going to shout it from the roof tops --- Rice Road is the BOMB and you can easily cruise it, towing a boat at no less than 80 mph. 😁

^^^ Also true. 👍👍

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Human nature is amazing.

So I'm going to shout it from the roof tops --- Rice Road is the BOMB and you can easily cruise it, towing a boat at no less than 80 mph. [emoji16]

Sorry to post something RDP about your secret spot that has been talked about many times on here, I should have posted to River Whips on Facebook [emoji2371][emoji849]

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Ehrinburgh is horrible. The bugs, Indian cops, and 35mph speed zones.
Nobody should go that route. 😉😂
not to mention the dirt detours while they refuck all the bridges. is parker even open? asking for a friend

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Perfect one less a hole I don’t have to pass on rice road. Stay off my road. Go the 40. Erenberg whatever you choose just not rice.

Singleton

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before, but I have been a Rice Rd guy my whole life and never understood, still don’t really, the fear of it. But the new boat I got has a really low hanging drive so I was bit concerned about the dips on Rice so decided to give Ehrenberg a try for the first time.

I have to say, it was about a 35 minute longer drive, but the road is great, besides the bridge construction area, the scenery was nicer, interesting part was I didn’t see another boat on the road both going on Friday and coming home today, in fact today at one point there wasn’t a car in front or behind me for as far as I can see.

I could do without all the smashed butterflies all over my truck, but other than that I think I am a full time Ehrenberg user now.

something is not right so you should avoid that route at all costs :)
For me, it is 10 miles longer, but we usually break even on time. If anything it is 5-10 minutes longer if we stop for a potty break or 20 minutes if we get gas at the 76 (another group I am in gets free soda when you mention that group at the register, and I top off the tank if I get a free soda).

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
something is not right so you should avoid that route at all costs :)
For me, it is 10 miles longer, but we usually break even on time. If anything it is 5-10 minutes longer if we stop for a potty break or 20 minutes if we get gas at the 76 (another group I am in gets free soda when you mention that group at the register, and I top off the tank if I get a free soda).

Is that the station?? I have always seen the posts. 👍👍

TrollerDave

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Badchoices03, post: 4212091, member: 21504, I should have posted to River Whips on Facebook [emoji2371][emoji849]

[/QUOTE]
Whoa Whoa Whoa, lets be reasonable. No need to do that. 🤫

It really is an easier drive.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Lived in LHC since 2013. So this BS isn’t really an issue for us any more. But, when it comes to ass hole drivers, one route has the other solidly beat. And there are some here who solidly prove that. . . .

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Lol, just remember CRIT fire department doesn't have paramedics, so your closest incoming unit with ALS treatment is miles away.

On the other hand, the paramedic that works the lake tamarisk station is an old coworker, not much better there.

Choose your battles I quess

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Parker to Ehrenberg must be O.K. I commuted six days a week for twenty five plus years and am still alive. ( almost 900,000 miles on that road ) Still need to be careful, but the escape route of driving into an alfa field, is much better than the open desert. And I did take the alfa field option one day, damaged the truck a little, but walked away.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have seen too many bad accidents on rice road. I would go the Ehrenberg!

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Pulling boat with RV I always go Ehrenberg just because of the room on the side of the road. If it’s just the truck and no boat rice rd. Truck and boat just depends on my mood.

lantz

Reaction score
Ehrenberg to Parker has it's quirks. There are a couple of spots where the speed limit slows down to 35. The town of Ehrenberg is notable for speeding tickets for driving faster than that, but it seems that everyone that drives through there knows...same with the the last mile or two before the turn into Parker. The road has wide shoulders but there is a good amount of agricultural traffic. BUGS - If you are driving through between dusk and 9:00 am during the spring or pre-harvest of cotton or alfalfa, your grill and windshield will be plastered with insects. I enjoy driving Rice Road just for the number of landmarks that break it up, and it's how we always went with my parents. If you're coming from MoVal the Ehrenberg route is just a few miles longer than Rice. I drive from SD now, so I go rice if I drop through Borrego and then up through Mecca to 10, and I go Ehrenburg if I go through Ocotillo, Brawley, Glamis and Palo Verde.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
If we don’t take the 40, Ehrenburg is the only way I go. It may take 30-40 minutes longer, but I figure my life is worth it. It’s probably longer for me because I do not deviate from the posted speed limit at all. Speed traps I’ve heard

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ehrenberg bonus is the gas station at the 10. Last cheap gas before cal.
If you dont need gas and want to cut some butterflies off the death toll then cut over agness wilson bridge
This is great for holiday weekends to avoid the border check back up at the river bridge
My route for almost the last 2 years is hiway 8 all the way yo yuma. Up the 95
Thats from north end of sd
27 miles longer than heading thru temecula.
Its the same time on fridays or faster
Sundays are within 15 minutes slower.
But....zero stress. A starbucks in yuma. Few good food stops

teded

Reaction score
IMG_5680.png

Not much difference.

Taboma

Reaction score
Ehrenberg bonus is the gas station at the 10. Last cheap gas before cal.
If you dont need gas and want to cut some butterflies off the death toll then cut over agness wilson bridge
This is great for holiday weekends to avoid the border check back up at the river bridge
My route for almost the last 2 years is hiway 8 all the way yo yuma. Up the 95
Thats from north end of sd
27 miles longer than heading thru temecula.
Its the same time on fridays or faster
Sundays are within 15 minutes slower.
But....zero stress. A starbucks in yuma. Few good food stops

Haven't traveled 8 in years. I recall in the past, when heading into SD, the border patrol check point seemed to be always open for business and vigilant.
No longer the case ?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I usually flip a coin when I see the exit sign for desert center.

If we need gas or anything from the store, we go through Ehrenburg and Parker before heading down to Big River…if we don’t, we usually go through desert center.

Singleton

Reaction score
Haven't traveled 8 in years. I recall in the past, when heading into SD, the border patrol check point seemed to be always open for business and vigilant.
No longer the case ?

The hours have been reduced. I have never been stopped, always a wave and we are good to move.
Line gets long when someone decides to argue about being asked a question or 2.

LB247XS

Reaction score

Ehrenberg is the only way I go anymore and as for the butterflies yeah through the month of August first part of September the butterflies are out there migrating on the alfalfa fields I went through there a week and a half ago and the butterflies destroyed my truck as well LOL

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I drove back from parker saturday morning at 430am. thought what the hell, i dont have the kids with me and i havent taken rice in about 10 years, lets give it a shot. i dont plan on taking it for another 10 years. ehrenburg is just a easier drive.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Another vote for Ehrenburg on the way in . . . then on the way home I like to cross the Agnes Wilson Rd. bridge and take the 95 back down to the 10. Mixes things up a bit.
I'm the asshole slow poke driver cause I like to take in the scenery. Rice Road is boring to me, I don't care if it's shorter.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Rice rd. 98% of the time..I mean why the hell not. The few times I do switch it up ..it's exit blythe..95 n.. over Agnes Wilson Bridge and into town.

84miller

Reaction score
If I am towing I take the Ehrenberg route. However I find the 10 east of 177 to Ehrenberg road to be a little ruff. Now Rice Road is ok, just pay attention at all times. My biggest bitch about Rice Road is when people decide to caravan together, say two motor homes pulling boats, add a couple of "friends" cars in the mix, and they are bumper to bumper going 60...makes it almost impossible to pass safely if not impossible. Please think and leave some space to pass one by one...fyi one time it was so bad...I spent most of the way doing 60.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Human nature is amazing.

I got a handful or two of 🤬🖕🖕🤬 when I wouldn't reveal where the mine was that I'd explored during a SxS ride.

Taboma

Reaction score
I got a handful or two of 🤬🖕🖕🤬 when I wouldn't reveal where the mine was that I'd explored during a SxS ride.

You should be commended, but come on, you can tell me, I won't tell anybody else 😂
I certainly don't hold myself as being distinguished from the several "WE" comments I made regarding Human nature. I'm as guilty as the next person. When we find some thing or some place cool, telling our friends is part of fun and pleasure of re-living the experience.
If nobody had told anybody else how cool the river or Havasu was 25-30 years ago, would it be any different today ? I doubt it, certainly not so it would be noticeable.
My secret to a pleasurable drive to Havasu isn't because for the past almost 20 years we've taken the " E " road, it's because of the hours and days we're able to drive it.
I only posted my joking chastise because it's something we all need to consider as the population continues to grow.
If there's a special place, enjoy it while you can.

But you're right, if you want to enjoy uncrowded rides to some mines, then by all means, don't divulge on the internet where they're located.
We've been blazing trails to mines and box canyons for years up around our ranch, not once have we encountered another vehicle. Regardless, we got screwed anyway when one of the ranchers petitioned the state to allow him to perform some maintenance grading on State Trust land. State ranger comes in, notices numerous washes we used to explore that could be accessed off this cattle road, and fuck me, now they've posted every one of the washes with "No Vehicle's allowed" signs.
It's rediculous, they're damned washes, the geology changes with every big rain and flash flood, boulders the size of houses get re-located, but now the state is worried about our tire tracks apparently. :mad:

Hope you're secret remains just that. 👍

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
a remote cove with a beach, just anyplace where the masses haven't completely screwed it up, and the first thing we can't wait to do, is tell everybody we know, or post it on the internet.

Funny you should mention that. I have this one secret little beach tucked in this cove on Havasu... no one ever is on it.... I can see the sky for approaching storms..... great cell reception - IF I turn on my phone... It's not a long ride, but it's pretty, from the launch ramp. You find it by going past

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
You should be commended, but come on, you can tell me, I won't tell anybody else 😂
I certainly don't hold myself as being distinguished from the several "WE" comments I made regarding Human nature. I'm as guilty as the next person. When we find some thing or some place cool, telling our friends is part of fun and pleasure of re-living the experience.
If nobody had told anybody else how cool the river or Havasu was 25-30 years ago, would it be any different today ? I doubt it, certainly not so it would be noticeable.
My secret to a pleasurable drive to Havasu isn't because for the past almost 20 years we've taken the " E " road, it's because of the hours and days we're able to drive it.
I only posted my joking chastise because it's something we all need to consider as the population continues to grow.
If there's a special place, enjoy it while you can.

But you're right, if you want to enjoy uncrowded rides to some mines, then by all means, don't divulge on the internet where they're located.
We've been blazing trails to mines and box canyons for years up around our ranch, not once have we encountered another vehicle. Regardless, we got screwed anyway when one of the ranchers petitioned the state to allow him to perform some maintenance grading on State Trust land. State ranger comes in, notices numerous washes we used to explore that could be accessed off this cattle road, and fuck me, now they've posted every one of the washes with "No Vehicle's allowed" signs.
It's rediculous, they're damned washes, the geology changes with every big rain and flash flood, boulders the size of houses get re-located, but now the state is worried about our tire tracks apparently. :mad:

Hope you're secret remains just that. 👍

They're just signs. If no ones around to see you remove them, it didn't happen. 🤫

Taboma

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I have this one secret little beach tucked in this cove on Havasu... no one ever is on it.... I can see the sky for approaching storms..... great cell reception - IF I turn on my phone... It's not a long ride, but it's pretty, from the launch ramp. You find it by going past

Oops, seems you cut out 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
They're just signs. If no ones around to see you remove them, it didn't happen. 🤫

That's exactly what I told my wife --- "When have we ever in 14 years of roaming these mountains, seen any Ranger or LEO of any kind on our travels ? " , not once is correct.

If my amazing wife has any faults, it's her honesty and enduring respect for " KARMA " . Be my luck, I'd remove the sign, explore well into the wash and the damned engine would sputter and die. :oops: I'd never live that one down 😖

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
That's exactly what I told my wife --- "When have we ever in 14 years of roaming these mountains, seen any Ranger or LEO of any kind on our travels ? " , not once is correct.

If my amazing wife has any faults, it's her honesty and enduring respect for " KARMA " . Be my luck, I'd remove the sign, explore well into the wash and the damned engine would sputter and die. :oops: I'd never live that one down 😖

Ha, I hear ya. My wife is a chronic rule follower as well. 😆

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score

My wife is more of a “those rules are for other people” type gal..... but.... we all know how that gets turned around....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I drove back from parker saturday morning at 430am. thought what the hell, i dont have the kids with me and i havent taken rice in about 10 years, lets give it a shot. i dont plan on taking it for another 10 years. ehrenburg is just a easier drive.

Best post in this thread. 👍👍

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Ehrenberg is the only way we go. Butterfly season sucks right now, but is easily handled at the soft spray in a few minutes.

It is nice to stop at the 76 on the way in for a little break before making the drive to Havasu. I use Waze and the difference in time going that way versus Rice is anywhere between 12 - 25 minutes. No brainer as the drive is so much better and safer too! Remember that from Parker to the 10 freeway, there are 3 fire stations and a hospital. On Rice, if you wad it up..........could be 90 minutes before emergency services roll to you.