WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electric MTN bikes

caribbean20

Reaction score
Had this one for a few months. For those of you who are less “enthusiastic” MTN bikers, these things are the ticket. A few pics of the great Boulder, CO bike trails, and a good watering hole nearby. My kinda biking:cool:
5B9250DB-F9AF-42E5-9D1C-40E91C635EDB.jpeg
9965B593-2710-4F0E-B853-D2FFD8A52AE6.jpeg
31F16903-0A31-4A0B-83F3-9B95D5D14260.jpeg
626DA7C5-7611-4008-9DD2-5977876D9294.jpeg

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
How much was that, how is the range, and how is the suspension? I've been considering one of those for my lazier days. We've got some hills around here and they are brutal. Might be nice to have at least an electric assist to take the edge off.

caribbean20

Reaction score
How much was that, how is the range, and how is the suspension? I've been considering one of those for my lazier days. We've got some hills around here and they are brutal. Might be nice to have at least an electric assist to take the edge off.
I paid about $5k for this one from REI, about $4.5k for the other 2 for the girls. You know, merely a rounding error for the Platinum Club members of this exclusive, ultra-chic inter web forum:oops:

All kidding aside, there’s a big price difference between full suspension and hard tail. This one is overkill for the smooth paths we ride on, but what the hell. Range is farther than I care to ride, guessing about 30-40 miles using full boost. Max speed is governed at 20, then motor cuts out and yer on yer own. Suspension works fine, a little firm.

As you surmised, the electric boost is most welcome on the brutal uphill grades. Makes riding so much more fun for older guys like me.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
These guys from Utah make a sweet e bike. They starter bike build is around 3500 and goes up from there. I have ridden it a few time and range and power are really good. I still tend to ride a real mountain bike but i could see the attraction for the family.

lead times are stupid right now on things though ha when i ordered my other bike from them it was delivered at more door in 5 business days! Damn you Covid!!

https://www.fezzari.com/wirepeak

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I built a baofeng electric beach cruise last summer, can't get enough of it and ride it just about everywhere I can around town.... Was just talking about getting E-Mountain bikes for southern Utah trips, I think this is inevitable for me!

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I built a baofeng electric beach cruise last summer, can't get enough of it and ride it just about everywhere I can around town

I'm kicking around winter project ideas Which type did you go with.....f or r hub drive or mid drive? And which battery?
👍

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I'm kicking around winter project ideas Which type did you go with.....f or r hub drive or mid drive? And which battery?
👍

It is a 500watt motor mid drive motor with a 36V 13 ah battery. My research shows that under 500w less than 20 mph with pedal assist keeps it a class 1 bike (not a motorized bike) and should allow it everywhere a bike goes...

bike.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
I picked up a specialized carbon comp last year.

I ride my regular mtn bike more but this allows me to do things I may not be able to do like extra long rides or rides that include stupid long ups. Ive considered quail hunting from it

5C3B01F2-A6E1-4D51-87A3-B2CF47886A31.jpeg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
My only regret is that I didn’t buy my ebike sooner. I was talking to a friend of mine who races Mtb on a pro level, a purist and legit outdoorsman. I told him not to judge me but I bought an ebike, he said “I love mine” lol

D3754336-CC68-4E6E-8183-A22AC2126E3F.jpeg

I put on another 22 miles last night. So fun to ride through the mountains to the beach.
55E9A65B-0748-43FC-B084-CF56D3B8ABAC.jpeg

Last edited:

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Ive been eBike only for over a year and its a different style of riding compared to the regular MTB. They are expensive when you compare it to a MOTO but living in CA there are many things that work out waaaaaaaaay better for me. I can ride it from my door straight to the trails, I can turn the power WAY down and ride with regular MTB buddies, I can climb gnarly shit that you don't do very often or at all on reg bike. I have way more smiler $$ spent on this than Moto or MTB..

Haters gonna hate

caribbean20

Reaction score
$5k for an electric bike?
My neighbor has a Giant and I think it was $4k
Imma cheap bastard
Bought 2 Ecotric Seagulls. 48 volt 1000 watt motors for $2k
They work great and have throttle only and go about 26mph
I wanted the full suspension ones but they were pre order only at the time
https://www.ecotric.com/collections/tornado

View attachment 943986 View attachment 943987 View attachment 943988
$5K . . . and it was on sale :oops: For me it was a bargain. Can ride right out my back yard to many miles of great trails. Most fun exercise I get other than my MX bike.

Meaney77

Reaction score
These E Bikes are bitchen but I could buy a nice new KX or Husky for what some of these things are selling for, thats what I struggle with!!!

caribbean20

Reaction score
These E Bikes are bitchen but I could buy a nice new KX or Husky for what some of these things are selling for, thats what I struggle with!!!
You can’t ride a dirt bike everywhere, you can on an e bike. That is what makes them very appealing. Access.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Not everywhere. They're illegal in a lot of places.
I am new to the MTB thing, only been riding since March when the CHYNA Virus popped up.

Has there ever been any concern of any sort with E bikes somehow damaging the trail system faster due to whatever reason related to the batter powered motors?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I am new to the MTB thing, only been riding since March when the CHYNA Virus popped up.

Has there ever been any concern of any sort with E bikes somehow damaging the trail system faster due to whatever reason related to the batter powered motors?

I don’t know. I’ve never looked into it.

I have noticed how bike companies are pretty good at disguising e-bikes. They might be hard to spot by the average Ranger...

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

I'm sure that argument exists. But they can't tear up the trails any worse than horses do...especially if the trail is a little muddy. Some ruts the horses leave are ridiculous.

I've never seen a mountain bike shit in the middle of a trail either.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
It seems like the popular MTB trails in the OC do not allow e-bikes of any sort, but I generally ride illegal stuff in the forest around my house. The hatred and scorn from the die hard MTB riders is real, I have MTB friends who no longer talks to me since getting the Turbo Levo...need better friends. On the flip side I have a buddy who is a semi-pro triathlon type who wouldn't ride with me before but with me on the e-bike we can ride together and he gets a good workout.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
The hatred and scorn from the die hard MTB riders is real,

Just my .02 and I don't expect anyone to give a shit what I think... but,,,, if you want to know, read on.

Imagine someone perfectly able to walk riding around on one of these. That's how I view e-bikers. People claim they get a workout on an e-bike yet I've never been passed by an "out of breath" e-biker and I ride regularly multiple times a week and see these guys a lot. I respect the guy more who earns the ride down over the dude on the chair lift or laz E bike. Hate isn't an accurate description (for me), but I certainly don't look up to e-bikers. I will give exception to those with disabilities outside of laziness. 😊

scooter.png

caribbean20

Reaction score
Just my .02 and I don't expect anyone to give a shit what I think... but,,,, if you want to know, read on.

Imagine someone perfectly able to walk riding around on one of these. That's how I view e-bikers. People claim they get a workout on an e-bike yet I've never been passed by an "out of breath" e-biker and I ride regularly multiple times a week and see these guys a lot. I respect the guy more who earns the ride down over the dude on the chair lift or laz E bike. Hate isn't an accurate description (for me), but I certainly don't look up to e-bikers. I will give exception to those with disabilities outside of laziness. 😊

View attachment 944225
Well, yer right about 1 thing, I don’t give a shit about what you think:) (of course just kidding, enjoy the banter). I’ve got a Trek 21 speed and just enjoy the Ghost e bike WAY more. Many (most) of the time I shut the motor off and just pedal, get plenty of exercise. I can go twice as far on the ebike than I can on my Trek. I’m gassed after 2 hours anyway and I get to see way more scenery.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I have MTB friends who no longer talks to me since getting the Turbo Levo...need better friends.

Wow, you sure do. When I see an e-bike on the trail, I jokingly call the rider a cheater and laugh, but it's all in good fun.

For me, riding is not only about getting a workout, but about just getting out and away for a while to enjoy some peace and scenery. Where I live, some of the trails are brutal. Steep grades that are constant with no leveled out spots to catch a breath. I can put it in granny gear and try to make it all the way, but it's just not going to happen. But once you get past that part and more to the top, the trail levels out and it's a nice ride for most of the remaining way with the exception of a couple more pretty steep spots here and there.

In this situation the really steep spots stand in the way of getting out and enjoying the area. Unless you want to be pretty exhausted and beat down, you aren't getting out there. This is where the e-bike would come in handy. Just an assist with the real ass-kicking stuff would make the ride more enjoyable and I'd probably do it more often.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Now that I am working from home.. I use my ebike cruiser for transportation more than I do exercise. But like others have said, I can ride my bike to a restaurant with a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt that is 5 miles away and not be a sweaty mess... I can also go on a 30 mile bar hop on a Saturday! I called my insurance agent the other day and dropped my mileage on my truck to less that 5,000 miles a year. What's not to like about all that?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I never see the ebike guys ever helping out with shovels and rakes maintaining the trails they sure love to use. They basically Use but don’t contribute. The reason they outlawed them in OC is because they ride like assholes and they’ve had collisions with hikers And other bikes. The Rangers claimed that the bikes do more damage to the environment too. Keep them on the road on PCH.

2Driver

Reaction score
Not everywhere. They're illegal in a lot of places.

AZ passed a bill making ebikes the same status as regular bikes. If bikes are allowed, e-bikes are allowed. ( pedal assist bikes)

“No Motor vehicles” verbiage can no longer pertain to ebikes in AZ even if the sign says so.