WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electric or Hydralic??

legend14

Reaction score
Whats better to have on a triple axle trailer? Electric brakes or hydralic? Which one is better??

4Waters

Reaction score
I see. How would just going with surge brakes be do you think??
I don't have an issue with surge brakes but I have never had electric over hydraulic, those that have say they will never go back, so much so that inmates here have bought different boats and changed over within a couple months

legend14

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with surge brakes but I have never had electric over hydraulic, those that have say they will never go back, so much so that inmates here have bought different boats and changed over within a couple months
I see, thanks for your input?

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I run hydraulic on the boat trailer and with my F150 I seem to run break fault on my toy hauler most of the time.

shunter2005

Reaction score
So get both electric and hydraulic brakes on the same trailer??
If you only boat in fresh water, you could use electric brakes. They will work fine. In my opinion, electric have better stopping power than hydraulic and are easier to maintain. If you do any salt water boating and dunk the trailer in it, then hydraulic would be the way to go. Electric brakes and salt do not play well together. If you do go hydraulic and have drums, might I suggest getting new brake backing plates that are free backing. You will thank yourself later. Either system will work well with a little preventative maintenance to keep them operating correctly.

My triple axle trailer came with surge hydraulic disc brakes. I converted to electric over hydraulic (EOH) the first winter I had it and have never felt better/safer when towing. While it's a bit more expensive than either electric or surge, the stopping power is unquestionably better than either. The actuator is powered electrically and the brake lines are hydraulic and hold up very well in either fresh or salt water. The best part is the trailer works in conjunction with the tow vehicle and you never get that feeling the trailer is pushing the tow vehicle when trying to stop, like you get sometimes with surge.

legend14

Reaction score
If you only boat in fresh water, you could use electric brakes. They will work fine. In my opinion, electric have better stopping power than hydraulic and are easier to maintain. If you do any salt water boating and dunk the trailer in it, then hydraulic would be the way to go. Electric brakes and salt do not play well together. If you do go hydraulic and have drums, might I suggest getting new brake backing plates that are free backing. You will thank yourself later. Either system will work well with a little preventative maintenance to keep them operating correctly.

My triple axle trailer came with surge hydraulic disc brakes. I converted to electric over hydraulic (EOH) the first winter I had it and have never felt better/safer when towing. While it's a bit more expensive than either electric or surge, the stopping power is unquestionably better than either. The actuator is powered electrically and the brake lines are hydraulic and hold up very well in either fresh or salt water. The best part is the trailer works in conjunction with the tow vehicle and you never get that feeling the trailer is pushing the tow vehicle when trying to stop, like you get sometimes with surge.
Awesome, thanks for explanation!! Seems like electric over hydraulic is way to go. Some say don’t waste the money and I’ll be fine with surge brakes. Just to be clear, surge brakes are hydraulic brakes, correct??

shunter2005

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for explanation!! Seems like electric over hydraulic is way to go. Some say don’t waste the money and I’ll be fine with surge brakes. Just to be clear, surge brakes are hydraulic brakes, correct??
Yes.