WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electric water pumps

Kthien915

Reaction score
Anyone use or have experience with using a electric water pump on their motors ? Wondering if they are worth using good idea ? Bad idea? I can see the pros and cons of both but any real world experience and advise would be appreciated.
Would be used on gen 5 454.

HAP

Reaction score
I run a Meziere on my 466. I like that I can start it without it hoked up to the garden hose anytime I want. I would get a high quality pump if you go that route. Never a leak. I also have a separate switch that allows me to run the pump in the water to cool the exhaust logs after shutdown if desired.

R,
HAP
Meziere.jpg

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Meziere’s are my neighbors here in Escondido. Really good people!

they Make some really nice Quality products!

no I don’t get a discount! LoL

bocco

Reaction score
I run a Meziere on my 466. I like that I can start it without it hoked up to the garden hose anytime I want. I would get a high quality pump if you go that route. Never a leak. I also have a separate switch that allows me to run the pump in the water to cool the exhaust logs after shutdown if desired.

R,
HAP View attachment 970666

Will that suck up lake water or just circulate?

HAP

Reaction score
Once its primed it will draw water, but it will not prime itself when you first put it in the water. It needs the initial hydro force to get things going after which you can start or stop as many times as you wish and it will pump, until you put it back on the trailer.

R,
HAP

Kthien915

Reaction score
Once its primed it will draw water, but it will not prime itself when you first put it in the water. It needs the initial hydro force to get things going after which you can start or stop as many times as you wish and it will pump, until you put it back on the trailer.

R,
HAP
So once it's primed in the water it will then suck the lake water and circulate it throughout the engine. But it can't prime itself till there is enough hydro force, am I understanding that correctly?

So then my question is, if I went with a electric pump will that clean up the thermostat housing and hoses ? Here is a pic of my engine .

Attachments

• IMG_20210210_111307759.jpg
    IMG_20210210_111307759.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 97

HAP

Reaction score
You will have to see what pump you go with. The hose routing can be modified if desired. but that would be up to you to decide on preheat through manifolds then to block/oil cooler then riser. There are different ways but I would probable stick with the routing you have if you do not have any cooling issues.

R,
HAP

Lavey 29

Reaction score
many use these are in drace race and short distance running. IMO I just do not see these running all day long for months on end and lasting in all the different water conditions. Closed cooled apps might help but my other question is --- I do not know the speed of the electric pump vs the pulley spinning to the rpm levels of the marine water circ pump. how is that regulated water flow from 600 rpm idle to say 5400 rpms flucuations all day long. ?

HAP

Reaction score
For me, the electric works great. I have had mine on for over 20 years. No leaks or any cooling issues at all. I have about 4 psi water pressure in neutral and it gets up to about 11 psi at 70 mph. I use a 1" pickup and hose to the pump and I'm sure everyone's setup-ups are different. My water temp usually just hovers in the 110 degree range all day with no thermostat. One could restrict the flow to get the desired temp. Now oil temp will get up there for sure when running hard for long distance. The electric is a good fit for those who wish to get rid of an extra belt and not have to deal with rubber impellers. It just works great for my application.
R,
HAP