WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electrical autoformer

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;

I am looking at installing an autoformer into my new RV. This is a device that goes in line with the primary power and automatically corrects voltage variance (low voltage usually) that is very common in many campgrounds. The idea here is to not burn up all the electrical systems in your coach due to a park only have 102 volts in the back half. This is a surprisingly common situation.

This is one of the few commercially available units: https://hughesautoformers.com/product/50-amp-12000-watt-booster-and-surge/

The issue is that I want to hard wire it in to my unit and they void the warrantee and get very protective and cranky as soon as you open the box. They want it to be extension cord style only. Why? Who knows..... Due to the power reel and such installed in the coach, cutting plugs and sockets in will not be particularly fun and I don't want it mounted outside at the power supply given that its not waterproof and has a high theft potential.

Anybody on here work with these industrially and would it be hard to put one together myself? I am fairly talented at this kind of stuff but just never worked with one of these devices. I do serious electrical, and build extensive harnesses, looms and very technical integration, its just low voltage / demand. My normal toys are all solar powered. I've worked on enough residential and light commercial to know my way around so its really just a size difference to assemble something like this.