WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electronic Fuel Pump help - Running continously

jasonk8200

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1991 Fibercell jet boat with a crate 502 in it. When I turn the key to the on position the fuel pump starts running continuously. The fuel pump is wired directly to the power distribution strip near the starter. What is causing this? If Im correct the pump should only run while cranking or running the boat.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
If the pump is wired direct to the key, as soon as you hit the key your pump will run. I wired my flat and Day Cruiser like this, if the key is in the on position there is fuel. if you want to run the bilge or other accessories, does your key have an accessory lug or is everything run off the 'run' side of the key? This is old stuff with carbs, no injection or electronics.

jasonk8200

Reaction score
So yeah I guess its wired straight to the ignition like yours is. There is no accessory lug and yeah old carb stuff. I decided to run a switch to the cockpit so I can manually turn the pump off if I need to. Fortunately all my accesories, stereo, bilge etc are wired direct to the distribution block. So I dont need the key to run them

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
So yeah I guess its wired straight to the ignition like yours is. There is no accessory lug and yeah old carb stuff. I decided to run a switch to the cockpit so I can manually turn the pump off if I need to. Fortunately all my accesories, stereo, bilge etc are wired direct to the distribution block. So I dont need the key to run them
Many guys choose to add an oil pressure switch and a relay so if you lose oil pressure it kills the fuel pump.
Welcome and good luck on the new project.

jasonk8200

Reaction score
Many guys choose to add an oil pressure switch and a relay so if you lose oil pressure it kills the fuel pump.
Welcome and good luck on the new project.
Thanks. Yes I read that on another forum. That would be preferred for me, I just dont have a clear understanding of how to wire the relay in

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I read that on another forum. That would be preferred for me, I just dont have a clear understanding of how to wire the relay in

Search
Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch (Low Oil Pressure)

You will find all the parts and diagrams you need.
I used a KC light relay rated at 30 amps.