WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electronic throttle control

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I’m rebuilding my buggy and my ECU does fly by wire throttle, id like to keep my old pedal and bolt on a control box but I’m having trouble finding something that will work. Any ideas?

DaveH

Reaction score
several ways to do this.

1. use a pedal from most OEM vehicles. for reference, a typical DBW pedal is nothing more than two potentiometers built into the pedal.

2. most automotive pedals are too soft for off-road use. a better solution is a pedal from an X3 or RZR as they have a lot more spring pressure in the pedal. the only downside is they are designed to mount on a fire-wall and that may be an issue in some installations.

3. Livorsi makes a slick little converter for cable to electrical control. its essentially a dual poteniometer with a level that connects to and mechanical linkage you wish. down side is its very pricey for what it is.

4. Any twin potentiometer will work, or even two single pots, mated (machined) to mount on any pedal you wish.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

What ECU version?

M1? M800?

M1 ECU's have built in Half-Bridge drivers and can run the throttle on their own.

Gold Box ecus (m400, m600, m800) require an external h-bridge box to drive the throttle servo)

M84 will not run DBW.

For pedal's what DaveH said is gospel.

If you can fit it i'd recommend the RZR or Can AM pedal. One of the main benefits of dbw is no more cable problems, If you are going to run some kind of linkage between your pedal and the sensor box make it a solid link bar on heim joints. But honestly the OEM UTV pedals are hard to beat.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
several ways to do this.

1. use a pedal from most OEM vehicles. for reference, a typical DBW pedal is nothing more than two potentiometers built into the pedal.

2. most automotive pedals are too soft for off-road use. a better solution is a pedal from an X3 or RZR as they have a lot more spring pressure in the pedal. the only downside is they are designed to mount on a fire-wall and that may be an issue in some installations.

3. Livorsi makes a slick little converter for cable to electrical control. its essentially a dual poteniometer with a level that connects to and mechanical linkage you wish. down side is its very pricey for what it is.

4. Any twin potentiometer will work, or even two single pots, mated (machined) to mount on any pedal you wish.
Would these work?

I’m not sure I can crimp that connector.

DaveH

Reaction score
use that RZR pedal all the time.

however, the link you provided is for a knock-off, not OEM. the OEM pedal is about $225 new. you can find used....which is BETTER then knock-off for roughly the same price.

wrong connector. it uses a metripak 150 series connector.
Would these work?

I’m not sure I can crimp that connector

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
use that RZR pedal all the time.

however, the link you provided is for a knock-off, not OEM. the OEM pedal is about $225 new. you can find used....which is BETTER then knock-off for roughly the same price.

wrong connector. it uses a metripak 150 series connector.
For $50, the used ones are rusted up piles of crap.

I got this one, I’ll sent the knockoff back

DaveH

Reaction score
For $50, the used ones are rusted up piles of crap.

I got this one, I’ll sent the knockoff back

the only metal is the mounting plate. otherwise the entire pedal assembly is plastic. the rusty looking thing is dirt, you think they might actually CLEAN them before taking a pic.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Here is what I came up with, It’s a used pedal off a CanAm.
image.jpg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
The picture does look like he gets in the way but I tried mashing back-and-forth… You can touch it with your heel but you press the break with the ball of your foot and it really doesn’t get in the way.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Looks perfect for a little heel/toe action😊

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Why not use the stock cable pedal and then mount the canam box in front and connect the old stock pedal with a small tie-rod to the can am arm?
It wouldn’t fit with the crossmember there or it would have to be way out front

turns out I’mnot using that pedal after all, a buddy of mine found a sexy little converter box from Livorsi marine that I’m going to use with the existing pedal