WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I’ve heard of them but never actually seen or used them. Technology is awesome!
Im going to be putting them on my trailer here soon. Need to finish my chicken coop and then ill get on fixing my boat trailer soo ill tag you when I start posting.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Finally got the new valve seals so the Inconel valves are going in and the seals went in without issue. Replaced all the rocker studs with ARP so these heads should go back together nicely.

49338C01-8914-4949-BC27-349C7A86EE71.jpeg

949494AE-54B5-4563-A5B1-0565DE981D68.jpeg

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Im going to be putting them on my trailer here soon. Need to finish my chicken coop and then I’ll get on fixing my boat trailer soo I’ll tag you when I start posting.
Rad! Looking forward to it

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Finally got the new valve seals so the Inconel valves are going in and the seals went in without issue. Replaced all the rocker studs with ARP so these heads should go back together nicely.

View attachment 1212242
View attachment 1212241
All things ARP or any nuts bolts and such specially stainless order from Allen. Best prices best quality

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Don't know if it is the pictures or not but it doesn't look like the valves weer sealing? soot on seat? Are you laping them?

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Don't know if it is the pictures or not but it doesn't look like the valves weer sealing? soot on seat? Are you laping them?
Valves were lapped. Cylinder compression was near perfect. The issue was the shitty rocker stud that Brodix uses. They say it’s “house brand” which clearly wasn’t great. That’s why I replaced them with ARP and the new cam is profiled differently so with new studs, new girdles and a different cam profile these heads should be good to go for as long as I can keep my inner 10 year old from hammering the throttle…

J.P.

Reaction score
50onRed, so youy are using the same heads for your new motor, you mentioned your motor should make around 1000 HP and was curious the spec on you Brodix heads how they compare to the Brodix heads on my motor the spec say intake runner volume 320 cc with 2.300intake valve and 1.880 exhaust.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
50onRed, so youy are using the same heads for your new motor, you mentioned your motor should make around 1000 HP and was curious the spec on you Brodix heads how they compare to the Brodix heads on my motor the spec say intake runner volume 320 cc with 2.300intake valve and 1.880 exhaust.
You might have similar heads to mine. Mine are Brodix DS 320 dragon slayer heads. 119cc chamber 320 flow 2.30 IV 1.88 EV
Mine are ported slightly and polished for better flow. And these heads bench test at 370 flow at 50. My port and polish will increase the flow but not much honestly.
Heads honestly don’t make a huge difference on boosted applications as much as they do for NA engines (keyboard warriors can suck it) I can make up for lower flow numbers by adding a little more boost. The other thing I did was replace the rocker studs (because junk) and added Girdles for valve train stability and swapped the exhaust valves with Inconel. This motor should be capable of well over 1000 hp but I’m going to keep the boost fairly low to keep it at 1000 in the 5500rpm range.

J.P.

Reaction score
Yes mine say intake flow 369 cfm @.700 lift & exhaust flow 274 cfm @.700 lift.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Yes mine say intake flow 369 cfm @.700 lift & exhaust flow 274 cfm @.700 lift.
There are of course better heads out there for blown applications but like I said earlier, as soon as you start putting positive pressure into the engine flow numbers become inconsequential.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Who’s got the best sea strainer? Im looking at the Hardin marine units because I like the easy to remove top but I want to hear everyone’s experiences.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Who’s got the best sea strainer? Im looking at the Hardin marine units because I like the easy to remove top but I want to hear everyone’s experiences.
I love the new Hardin with the screw cap also. But the TCM with 10 bolt works awesome as well.

E4L

Reaction score
Well I was gonna post my redo but after seeing this maybe not haha. Can you say open checkbook haha

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Well I was gonna post my redo but after seeing this maybe not haha. Can you say open checkbook haha
Ha ha! I wish I had an open checkbook. My issue is that I know that I’ll get what I pay for” thankfully for me I do all the labor myself so that allows me to spend more on the parts that I’m installing. My boat sure has a LOOOONG way to go until it matches my vision. It’ll get there but I definitely have to take it one project at a time so I can put in the hours at the office in the meantime.

E4L

Reaction score
Ha ha! I wish I had an open checkbook. My issue is that I know that I’ll get what I pay for” thankfully for me I do all the labor myself so that allows me to spend more on the parts that I’m installing. My boat sure has a LOOOONG way to go until it matches my vision. It’ll get there but I definitely have to take it one project at a time so I can put in the hours at the office in the meantime.
Mine will be done middle of may. I did the motor last year maybe I’ll post it then. Yours is looking good 👍🏻

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Has anyone bought, installed one of these accessory drives?
C0E135BD-48C0-467B-865E-19643AE2B881.png

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Ok I got all of the info I need for the accessory drive. Placed the order and added a sea strainer and sand strainer. Looks like the entire setup will arrive almost the same time as the blower. The next 3 weeks is going to be filled with anxiety… probably going to start plumbing the new cooling setup.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Has anyone bought, installed one of these accessory drives?
View attachment 1217481
I almost got the NA version of it. Before I knew of the kit I had installed a whole new sea pump and had some of the pulleys polished up. I feel like it’s a pretty fair price for everything you’re getting. Pretty much all new accessories. Looks really nice I think, nice and clean not too flashy.
Curious to see how you like it in person

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
I almost got the NA version of it. Before I knew of the kit I had installed a whole new sea pump and had some of the pulleys polished up. I feel like it’s a pretty fair price for everything you’re getting. Pretty much all new accessories. Looks really nice I think, nice and clean not too flashy.
Curious to see how you like it in person
I needed to buy a new 2 stage pump already and was planning to get a nicer alternator and power steering pump so this made sense considering I also needed to buy all the accessories to run the blower belt. This made it easy and basically took care of everything. It would have cost me around the same to buy it all individually.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Ok so quite a bit has happened in the past couple weeks. I had to scrap the supercharger project after I found a broken gear in my lower so I opted to buy a brand new Imco Complete Lower which fixed my existing incorrect Sportmaster lower.
IMG_5020.jpeg

When my boat was full of water, all of the polished aluminum on the motor corroded so I opted to send my valve covers and some accessory brackets to powder coat and I love how they came out. If anyone needs powder coating in Orange County CA please shoot me a message and I’ll hook you up with my Powdercoater. I’ve been dying business with their guy for over 10 years and he does amazing work.
IMG_5021.jpeg

Heads are on, rocker girdles are on, valves are lashed, manifold is sealed up and back on.
IMG_5019.jpeg

IMG_5022.jpeg

Next, I found some corroded electrical including my old Ignition box and coil so those went in the trash and I got a new MSD Ignition and coil. (Pics of those to follow) I’ll also be building an entirely new harness for the motor since I’ve moved all of the sending units and the ignition and coil to new locations. Plus I just love electrical work and will feel much less anxiety after it’s done my way because honestly whoever rigged this engine was a lazy hack.

Who’s going to be on the water memorial weekend?

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Update: projects like these always end up taking forever because of all the little details that have to be fixed. Pulled the cap off of the distributor to find the inside full of rust so that was a chore to fix.
Got my new fuel pump and filter
Got the carb and throttle linkage back on
Made a bracket for the new ignition box
Fixed the stock relay and harness bracket
Installed the monster Blaster II coil
Moved all of the gauge sensors to their proper locations on the block and manifold
Mounted the fuel pressure regulator bracket
Mounted the water crossover
Final bolt down of the valve covers
Found a bad spark plug wire (this would be a good reason it never quite ran perfect)
Installed new NGK Plugs
Fixed my Drive oil reservoir leak
IMG_5026.jpeg

Next up is an oil change, install the alternator, water pump and power steering pump. Then it’s new wire harness time and fill her with fluids. Then install the exhaust and fire it up to set the timing. I’ll be on lake Elsinore this Sunday making sure she is leak free and running tip top. Cross your fingers!

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Whelp….. I’m starting to lose confidence in the boat of my dreams.. said boat is steadily turning into a nightmare. A nightmare that I still smile at and I want to love her so bad but man she keeps kicking me in the teeth.
Today went good and bad. I got her fired up this morning and other than needing to dial in the timing she seemed good. I got it cleaned up and hauled it to lake Smell-some-More for a test fire and timing set. I fired it up and it didn’t want to idle. It would idle for about 20 seconds and then slowly dip until it shut off. I got it fired and set the timing to 32 but it didn’t feel right and it still wouldn’t idle worth a shit. I said fuck it and backed her off the trailer for a little hot lap. She came on to plane and ran decent. I could feel something was missing like the timing was still off or a cylinder wasn’t firing correctly so I just cruised. My tach wasn’t working so that’s something I’ll have to fix. I was just cruising at about 60 mph and all the sudden it popped into neutral, well I thought it popped into neutral. As soon as I realized it didn’t I trimmed the drive up to find a broken prop shaft… 🤬 this is basically a brand new lower that literally only drove for probably 1/4 of a mile and the prop is just flapping in the wind. I’m devastated and done. Thrown in the towel as of now and I need a break. I was looking forward to Memorial Day but I don’t think she is going to make it. Even if I can get the drive fixed and the engine running perfect my confidence is totally gone. I’m afraid to put my family on the boat now. I need a breather….
IMG_5077.jpeg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Dang man, that sucks. Ive been there too. Its disheartening. Take it one bite at a time. I know it wrecks your summer plans but atleast it happened now instead of on your summer trip with your family on the boat.

Something stupid and simple in regards to your timing did you check all your spark plug boots? I had a similar issue once (engine just didn't seem to run correctly). Replaced a lot of parts because of it and come to find out my #8 cylinder spark plug boot was barely on the spark plug. So it appeared fine but in reality the cylinder was dead.

Tomorrow is a new day!

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Dang man, that sucks. Ive been there too. Its disheartening. Take it one bite at a time. I know it wrecks your summer plans but atleast it happened now instead of on your summer trip with your family on the boat.

Something stupid and simple in regards to your timing did you check all your spark plug boots? I had a similar issue once (engine just didn't seem to run correctly). Replaced a lot of parts because of it and come to find out my #8 cylinder spark plug boot was barely on the spark plug. So it appeared fine but in reality the cylinder was dead.

Tomorrow is a new day!
Thats my first thought, I’ll put new wires on it just for peace of mind at this point

Duramax

Reaction score
Whelp….. I’m starting to lose confidence in the boat of my dreams.. said boat is steadily turning into a nightmare. A nightmare that I still smile at and I want to love her so bad but man she keeps kicking me in the teeth.
Today went good and bad. I got her fired up this morning and other than needing to dial in the timing she seemed good. I got it cleaned up and hauled it to lake Smell-some-More for a test fire and timing set. I fired it up and it didn’t want to idle. It would idle for about 20 seconds and then slowly dip until it shut off. I got it fired and set the timing to 32 but it didn’t feel right and it still wouldn’t idle worth a shit. I said fuck it and backed her off the trailer for a little hot lap. She came on to plane and ran decent. I could feel something was missing like the timing was still off or a cylinder wasn’t firing correctly so I just cruised. My tach wasn’t working so that’s something I’ll have to fix. I was just cruising at about 60 mph and all the sudden it popped into neutral, well I thought it popped into neutral. As soon as I realized it didn’t I trimmed the drive up to find a broken prop shaft… 🤬 this is basically a brand new lower that literally only drove for probably 1/4 of a mile and the prop is just flapping in the wind. I’m devastated and done. Thrown in the towel as of now and I need a break. I was looking forward to Memorial Day but I don’t think she is going to make it. Even if I can get the drive fixed and the engine running perfect my confidence is totally gone. I’m afraid to put my family on the boat now. I need a breather….
View attachment 1233137
Dude.......This same feeling made me leave boating for 13-14 years. The boat of my dreams became a fucking nightmare, and ruined any joy I would have driving it. Anytime I took it out I was just waiting for it to break. It heartbreaking and I was done.

Take a step back man.

Good luck buddy.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Dude.......This same feeling made me leave boating for 13-14 years. The boat of my dreams became a fucking nightmare, and ruined any joy I would have driving it. Anytime I took it out I was just waiting for it to break. It heartbreaking and I was done.

Take a step back man.

Good luck buddy.
That’s honestly how I feel right now. Just found out my brand new lower is toast. Another $3000 down the hole. And to be honest, I’m realistic, I spent 20+ years building custom hot rods, muscle cars and high end exotic cars. So I know all of the risks. It just sucks that I’ve built hundreds of customs for my customers that love them and when I finally build something for myself it’s nothing but a nightmare. I’m bout ready to put a for sale sign on it and start looking for a brand new pontoon or something that isn’t going to break for at least 1 season… but I won’t, I know I’ll take a deep breath and put my head down and get back into it. I will win this battle!

wet hull

Reaction score
That’s honestly how I feel right now. Just found out my brand new lower is toast. Another $3000 down the hole. And to be honest, I’m realistic, I spent 20+ years building custom hot rods, muscle cars and high end exotic cars. So I know all of the risks. It just sucks that I’ve built hundreds of customs for my customers that love them and when I finally build something for myself it’s nothing but a nightmare. I’m bout ready to put a for sale sign on it and start looking for a brand new pontoon or something that isn’t going to break for at least 1 season… but I won’t, I know I’ll take a deep breath and put my head down and get back into it. I will win this battle!
No warranty on the new lower?

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
No warranty on the new lower?
I gave them my old Sportmaster lower to transfer the parts. The only thing that was “good” in my old lower was the prop shaft. The rest was replaced. Apparently the prop shaft wasn’t as good as it looked and it let go. It took the carrier bearing and gears with it. So unfortunately no it wasn’t IMCO’s fault.

wet hull

Reaction score
I gave them my old Sportmaster lower to transfer the parts. The only thing that was “good” in my old lower was the prop shaft. The rest was replaced. Apparently the prop shaft wasn’t as good as it looked and it let go. It took the carrier bearing and gears with it. So unfortunately no it wasn’t IMCO’s fault.
Bummer, that sucks in the worst of ways.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
I’m not letting this damn boat win! Rebuilding the carb, new plugs and wires, Imco is putting the lower back together and I’ll be putting it in the water on Friday in havasu for fine tuning. If there are any carb/timing gurus that would be willing to come and lend your experience I would much appreciate it! I should be putting it in the water at riviera Friday afternoon.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I’m not letting this damn boat win! Rebuilding the carb, new plugs and wires, Imco is putting the lower back together and I’ll be putting it in the water on Friday in havasu for fine tuning. If there are any carb/timing gurus that would be willing to come and lend your experience I would much appreciate it! I should be putting it in the water at riviera Friday afternoon.
i-love-a-good-comeback-revenge.gif

JL95

Reaction score
Get D1 to look at it. He seems to know his way around carbs and lake tests. Just a thought

Jake141

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hard times, I’ve been having some of those myself. Sold the most carefree boat I’ll probably ever own, bought a 26icc that I was wanting so badly, 4th trip grenaded the entire drive, all that was left was the lower case. Among that it has some sloppy rigging as well and some gremlins that I did not expect.

Hope your luck turns around, also I saw a post of imco cases, and all the internals for sale in classifieds recently

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hard times, I’ve been having some of those myself. Sold the most carefree boat I’ll probably ever own, bought a 26icc that I was wanting so badly, 4th trip grenaded the entire drive, all that was left was the lower case. Among that it has some sloppy rigging as well and some gremlins that I did not expect.

Hope your luck turns around, also I saw a post of imco cases, and all the internals for sale in classifieds recently
Yeah man sounds like you and I are in the same boat… literally. I got my lower back all brand new. The prop shaft split in two and took out the carrier bearing and the brand new lower gears. It’s all new AGAIN so hopefully this time it holds together for as long as possible. What power is in your ICC?

Jake141

Reaction score
Yeah I bought mine knowing I was going to do some work to it, mostly cosmetic. I planned on swapping the motor after the first season or two with it. It’s a 496 with 3.3l whipple. I’m told has forged internals, not sure if I believe it or not. I should’ve held out one more year to buy, but it is what it is.
I had ended up buying an sc upper that had been rebuilt at max machine, then took the upper and my trashed lower to max machine to have the lower built and upper checked out, just took it out for the first trip and it worked great, now I’m back to cosmetics for the summer and figuring out what engine is hopefully getting dropped in this winter

Your boat looks great by the way, I dig the gel scheme

Reactions: DWC

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Yeah I bought mine knowing I was going to do some work to it, mostly cosmetic. I planned on swapping the motor after the first season or two with it. It’s a 496 with 3.3l whipple. I’m told has forged internals, not sure if I believe it or not. I should’ve held out one more year to buy, but it is what it is.
I had ended up buying an sc upper that had been rebuilt at max machine, then took the upper and my trashed lower to max machine to have the lower built and upper checked out, just took it out for the first trip and it worked great, now I’m back to cosmetics for the summer and figuring out what engine is hopefully getting dropped in this winter

Your boat looks great by the way, I dig the gel scheme
Well thankfully for you the 496 is a great motor and the whipple on top is just icing on the cake. As for drives I’ve always heard good things from Max Machine and you can’t go wrong with the Imco drive. I currently run a Bravo XR Upper and of course my brand new Imco lower. I have a feeling an SCX upper is going to be a necessity in the very near future. My boat also has some cosmetic issues that were known when I bought it. A good polish and it looks great from a couple feet away. The interior is original and definitely shows its age. If all goes well the boat will go to eliminator after this season to get the gel coat damage fixed and re-do the upholstery. After that point just about everything on my boat is going to be new. It’s been a rough road. Post pics of your daytona!

Jake141

Reaction score
Yeah I’d love to swap for scx as well, it’s on the list, toward the end unless something else happens.
I’ll start a thread for it, that way I’m not hijacking yours, did you get your interior cleaned up?

mattyc

Reaction score
You're getting it back together in short order! I'd be willing to assist with carb but wont be out until next weekend 3rd through 5th

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Yeah I’d love to swap for scx as well, it’s on the list, toward the end unless something else happens.
I’ll start a thread for it, that way I’m not hijacking yours, did you get your interior cleaned up?
Yeah all the mold came off relatively easy with the help of about 50 magic erasers. Definitely start a thread. I’m always interested in seeing other peoples projects. My interior is getting re done this winter. I’ll be doing all the fab work myself so there will be a tone of pics when that happens. I’ve got a checklist of projects that need to get done over the next few weeks so stay tuned.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
You're getting it back together in short order! I'd be willing to assist with carb but wont be out until next weekend 3rd through 5th
I already rebuilt the carb. I decided to cancel this weekend in havasu so I could take a step back and go through all of it again with a fine tooth comb so I make sure everything is 100%

mattyc

Reaction score
I already rebuilt the carb. I decided to cancel this weekend in havasu so I could take a step back and go through all of it again with a fine tooth comb so I make sure everything is 100%
Good call, I never feel like things are done right if done in a hurry

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Good call, I never feel like things are done right if done in a hurry
Yeah especially if my family is going to be on the boat with me. Probably going to test it in Elsinore a couple times before I load it with my most important people. Let’s be honest, I never EVER feel like projects are finished 100%. It that’s just me being OCD.