WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Eliminator 21' layup?

Duramax

Reaction score
I know there have some specialty built boats from different manufacturers, and I know Eliminator is one. The research on my latest purchase (94' Daytona) has me wondering about the layup as it was built by Eric Simon. Some people I have talked to said yes, some no.

Does this look like Carbon? It is in a few areas on the boat. This picture is all around the cockpit, windshield area.
IMG_2015.PNG

Duramax

Reaction score
I was speaking more of the black weave. My Skater had alot of Kevlar and it was a little different. The newest Eliminators that are Kevlar have a very specific weave, thats why I was asking about the black/carbon.

MSum661

Reaction score
I was speaking more of the black weave. My Skater had alot of Kevlar and it was a little different. The newest Eliminators that are Kevlar have a very specific weave, thats why I was asking about the black/carbon.

Dupont makes a Black Kevlar.

Don't have the time right now to search the exact link for you but here at the very minimum is this....

Could have also been coated with a thin Black Gelcoat and a final epoxy coat for aesthetics....who knows.
Giroux does something like this on his new builds in all kinds of beautiful creative ways.

236eagledave

Reaction score
That looks just like the fabric wrapped around the seat bases on my 96.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I know there have some specialty built boats from different manufacturers, and I know Eliminator is one. The research on my latest purchase (94' Daytona) has me wondering about the layup as it was built by Eric Simon. Some people I have talked to said yes, some no.

Does this look like Carbon? It is in a few areas on the boat. This picture is all around the cockpit, windshield area. View attachment 895119
I don’t remember them using carbon in 94?
Not saying they didn’t but I sure don’t remember that.
Then again I have no idea who Eric Simon is? 😂

And for gods sake. Get a washer between that nut and the glass. Look what it’s doing there.

Duramax

Reaction score
I don’t remember them using carbon in 94?
Not saying they didn’t but I sure don’t remember that.
Then again I have no idea who Eric Simon is? 😂

And for gods sake. Get a washer between that nut and the glass. Look what it’s doing there.
I thought the same! Don't worry as I am going through it.

retaocleg

Reaction score
cream/yellow material is coremat…..prolly 2 mil…..normal, everyday material used as a core between fiberglass...…..top layer is just cloth over mat
the part that you see that is black, is just the black gel backup seen through mat and cloth which is transparent

bonus info: the 2 spots in the middle of the pic is where acetone dripped on it before or during lamination process

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Duramax

Reaction score
cream/yellow material is coremat…..prolly 2 mil…..normal, everyday material used as a core between fiberglass...…..top layer is just cloth over mat
the part that you see that is black, is just the black gel backup seen through mat and cloth which is transparent

bonus info: the 2 spots in the middle of the pic is where acetone dripped on it before or during lamination process
That's great info! Although you crushed my dreams! =)

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Kevlar 88 is yellow. my cafe racer was one of 2 built with the kevlar vs fiberglass. About 1000 lbs lighter