WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Eliminator Jet 454 Carb Trouble?

Joet5point9

Reaction score
Our Eliminator Cruiser jet has a issue that i think is related to the carb, maybe someone has a direction we could look?

454 stock hardin motor, idles perfect , starts up perfect. Launch boat then head down river, cruises perfect the whole time. As soon as I let off the gas to pull to the sand bar or reduce speed to idle, engines seems to bog out and i believe flood and choke out and die. Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Bad needle and seat? Is this a Holley carb?

240Hallett

Reaction score
Check and see if there is a hose coming from your mechanical fuel pump up to the carb. When the fuel pump goes bad it will put gas into the carb instead of the bilge. So at idle you’re getting too much fuel. Maybe.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Our Eliminator Cruiser jet has a issue that i think is related to the carb, maybe someone has a direction we could look?

454 stock hardin motor, idles perfect , starts up perfect. Launch boat then head down river, cruises perfect the whole time. As soon as I let off the gas to pull to the sand bar or reduce speed to idle, engines seems to bog out and i believe flood and choke out and die. Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks!

Welcome.

That's a bit tough to diagnose online?

Could be all kinds of things, depending on what carb you have on it!

When was the last time it had a full tune done on it? How fresh (or old) is the fuel? What's your fuel pressure at? Electric or mechanical pump? How do you get it restarted?

So many questions! Yet they all need answers.

Where are you located at?

Joet5point9

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. its a Holley 750. It has a mechanical fuel pump.

Located in Blythe

Joet5point9

Reaction score
Bad needle and seat? Is this a Holley carb?
I did replace the needle and seat when the problem first arose and it still did it after the new ones installed. I did adjust float levels as well.

Joet5point9

Reaction score
Welcome.

That's a bit tough to diagnose online?

Could be all kinds of things, depending on what carb you have on it!

When was the last time it had a full tune done on it? How fresh (or old) is the fuel? What's your fuel pressure at? Electric or mechanical pump? How do you get it restarted?

So many questions! Yet they all need answers.

Where are you located at?
Holley 750 with mechanical fuel pump.

Had the carb rebuilt last year, which maybe it was never really all the way right from that rebuild

When I have to restart it. Id have to open the bowl sight screw to relieve the flood in the secondary.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Had the carb rebuilt last year, which maybe it was never really all the way right from that rebuild

When I have to restart it. Id have to open the bowl sight screw to relieve the flood in the secondary.

Misadjusted float level or bad needle and seat is still what Im thinking. That bowl should not be flooding, period.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Pull the needle and seat outa there and see if you see something sticking it open

Also...

Pull one of the lower float bowl screws out, and catch Everything that comes out when you do. Use a small glass jar. If there is anything other than clear gas in the jar, we can decide what to do from there.

Post a pic of what you get...

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Something else to consider... Do you have a fuel pressure regulator? If you don't I would definitely look at getting one. It Helped me with some of my carb issues.