WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Eliminator Scorpion

MRT

Reaction score
Hello All
New to the forum and would like a little info. I'm looking at a late 80's Scorpion with a solid 2.4 Bridgeport on the back. Good compression and runs perfect. I don't know much about the Scorpions and there's not much info out there on these boats. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
MRT

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Same boat as an Advantage Banshee. Might find some more info searching those. I think Advantage sold more than Eliminator.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
As I recall the Scorpion was not as fast as the Daytona but the styling was pretty cool.
The Bridgeport 2.4 will not last is the downside, if the boat will see a lot of use could be an issue. In the 80s it was top of the food chain basically a race motor.
Check out Scream and fly for information about the 2.4 Bridgeport.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Good friend had 1of the first ones built. It was on display at the L.A.Boat show in 1985. He was my competition when I had a Sebring...(pretty much no competition, He walked all over me)

Rode dry and fast.... He initially experienced blow out right 80. With the help Brent they tried a few different set back plates and props and finally found a friendly combo. Seemed like it only broke 80 under perfect conditions, otherwise pretty consistent to 80

Great slalom wake! (or lack of)

Well built, Eliminator quality all the way.

He had a stock 200 merc,

HST4ME

Reaction score
As I recall the Scorpion was not as fast as the Daytona but the styling was pretty cool.
The Bridgeport 2.4 will not last is the downside, if the boat will see a lot of use could be an issue. In the 80s it was top of the food chain basically a race motor.
Check out Scream and fly for information about the 2.4 Bridgeport.
Why? The fault of the Bridgeports were the ecus and guys trying to lean them until the bridges melted. I've built many that are trouble free and go the distance between refreshes with no issues.

As for the boat they were not a good performer at all without bottom mods. Daytonas will run circles around them. One in particular with big power would try to kill you at 93 mph, Didn't matter prop, set back, engine height, weight balance anything. 93 mph it would pick the right front sponson up and try to go around. Beautiful boat, clean, solid, nice interior. Customer ended up damn near giving it away and buying a STV which took about 4 hours of set up and runs 125's all day.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Why? The fault of the Bridgeports were the ecus and guys trying to lean them until the bridges melted. I've built many that are trouble free and go the distance between refreshes with no issues.

As for the boat they were not a good performer at all without bottom mods. Daytonas will run circles around them. One in particular with big power would try to kill you at 93 mph, Didn't matter prop, set back, engine height, weight balance anything. 93 mph it would pick the right front sponson up and try to go around. Beautiful boat, clean, solid, nice interior. Customer ended up damn near giving it away and buying a STV which took about 4 hours of set up and runs 125's all day.
I’ve ran Bridgeport’s myself, my point to MRT was not your average plug and play 1000 hour trouble free deal.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The Daytona 21 had more room, was dryer and outperformed the Scorpion, so much so that bob sold the molds to Advantage and focused on the Daytona 21 instead.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I had two carbed Bridgeport’s on my Daytona 22, they screamed but that was about it, didn’t run for crap around the dock or anything slow. Very thirsty and very Smokey.

HST4ME

Reaction score
They weren't made for idling or around the docks. ;) An ecu upgrade alleviates much of that but they are still what they are, a race outboard.

MRT

Reaction score
Thanks ,all this is good info. the 2.4 has been rebuilt and has 2 hours of runtime on it.

MRT

Reaction score
The 2.4 has had the ecu upgraded.
I agree with the Daytona being a nicer boat my buddy has one 1989 21 footer with 2.5 Mariner runs all i would want to do. They are hard to find on the east coast as i live in Virginia and the scorpion is somewhat close by.
Again thank you for your input.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Thanks ,all this is good info. the 2.4 has been rebuilt and has 2 hours of runtime on it.
Your out by Kenny Anthony then, Black Magic Racing. Good guy to get to know.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Good friend had 1of the first ones built. It was on display at the L.A.Boat show in 1985. He was my competition when I had a Sebring...(pretty much no competition, He walked all over me)

Rode dry and fast.... He initially experienced blow out right 80. With the help Brent they tried a few different set back plates and props and finally found a friendly combo. Seemed like it only broke 80 under perfect conditions, otherwise pretty consistent to 80

Great slalom wake! (or lack of)

Well built, Eliminator quality all the way.

He had a stock 200 merc,
I don’t remember the details but Brent ran one at the Parker enduro a couple of times. He and Nick Murphy I should say, ran one.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I don’t remember the details but Brent ran one at the Parker enduro a couple of times. He and Nick Murphy I should say, ran one.
Do you recall if they were successful? Seems the Scorpion disappeared around then....

MRT

Reaction score
We are still a little apart on pricing. so I'm holding off a bit. Thanks
for all the feedback

old rigger

Reaction score
Same boat as an Advantage Banshee. Might find some more info searching those. I think Advantage sold more than Eliminator.

Yes the Banshee was a splash of the Eliminator.

We'd use inserts in the mold for the outboards. The jets we just set them up in the stock hull, they were pigs and ran wet.

None of the outboards ran even close to the speeds we got out of the SBC I/O we did.

Long time ago now and the Mercs we were hanging on them I believe were the old 220.

I remember when they sold those molds and the guy who bought them stuck the first part. Yikes, not good.

MRT

Reaction score
is a late 80's in original gel and in very good condition worth anything?
i was trying to gage it off what my buddy paid for a Daytona end of last year of the same year but I'm guessing the Daytona is worth more.

wzuber

Reaction score
is a late 80's in original gel and in very good condition worth anything?
i was trying to gage it off what my buddy paid for a Daytona end of last year of the same year but I'm guessing the Daytona is worth more.
Consideably more. Daytona's...high demand.
Scorpion....not so much..
As in...at all, unless you just want something unique and don't really care asmuch about perf.

TOOLEY

Reaction score
I may be wrong here but if memory serves AND I read rite, I was under the ipression they were a different deck on a rapid craft bottom. Some sort of deal involving the eliminatior in Wisconsin. I could be wrong, happens all the time lol.

wzuber

Reaction score
It's the boat business.....anything could be possible regarding splashes etc.

HST4ME

Reaction score
If you can find Sam Baker on FB his dad Ron had a good deal of hands on around the Wisconsin Eliminator and Rapid Craft, among many other mid west performance builders.