WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Elon threatens to develop new phone

Sandlord

Reaction score
With all the liberals attempting to convince Apple and Google to remove twitter from their app stores,
Elon toases out the idea that he will just create his own phone platform.

I say do it.
Sat capability?
longer battery life?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Sign me up I’m done with Apple and Samsung and won’t go Google

Have you seen the issues in China at the Foxxconn plant where they make the Apple iPhones? Apple’s losing 1 billion a week apparently in sales.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Do a search and you will see videos on the Tesla phone.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I think he's been working on this for a while. Years ago Elon was running out of money when Tesla was developing the the Model 3, he called Tim Cook to see if he wanted part of the action. Cook didn't take his call. This would be pretty cool if Musk could pull it off. I had my iPhone connected to a Starlink network last week in the middle of nowhere. It ran so smooth and fast.. He's definitely on to something. I hope he does it.. I'm a fan

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Apple is more than just a phone. It’s an entire ecosystem. Musk can’t just build a phone you need an application deployment system, accessories, cloud storage, etc. no smart person would just opt in to just a phone and not have the rest and that’s not something you can just slap together in a year. Google has been in the whole time and they struggle to compete. Samsungs App Store etc is just plain garbage. They don’t even keep their phones up to date let alone the apps.

BabyRay

Reaction score
Apple is more than just a phone. It’s an entire ecosystem. Musk can’t just build a phone you need an application deployment system, accessories, cloud storage, etc. no smart person would just opt in to just a phone and not have the rest and that’s not something you can just slap together in a year. Google has been in the whole time and they struggle to compete. Samsungs App Store etc is just plain garbage. They don’t even keep their phones up to date let alone the apps.
Yes. And there would need to be a compelling reason for people to learn a new system. Politics alone won’t be enough to create a seismic shift.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I’d be willing to get back to a basic phone and camera without all the other things they try to shove down your throat.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Can you share some more info

Starlink is going to begin installing cellular band antennas on all of the Sarlink satellites that get launched via the starship. This will enable any cell phone to have some level of basic coverage plus emergency 911 coverage anywhere within the country. He has made the offer to any cell carrier that they will work with them to incorporate this.

When it begins it will give you some basic text message access, and 911 access, even in the middle of nowhere, with your existing cell phone. Tmobile is the first carrier to partner with them.

(Technically the cell phones could work globably, but because each country manages it own radio spectrum access they must have permission to utilized those signal bands within each country. So the satellites will turn those functions in countries where they have no permission)

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
So he owns tweeter. Owns starlink network. His own phone makes sense.
In China they have “We Talk”. Everything is done on that platform. Bills ,banking ,shopping, and I have to imagine government surveillance of everything. It’s a no brainer.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I thought Android was open source so Twitter can exist outside of the Google Play sphere? Google doesn't have to bless an app to run on an Android phone.

So will he have his own OS or is he going to run a version of Android with his own app system?

Javajoe

Reaction score
I knew when he launched star link satellites, that he had capabilities for cellular on them….cause why not

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I thought Android was open source so Twitter can exist outside of the Google Play sphere? Google doesn't have to bless an app to run on an Android phone.

So will he have his own OS or is he going to run a version of Android with his own app system?
This is true. But the apps downloads and usage would severely plummet without it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I knew when he launched star link satellites, that he had capabilities for cellular on them….cause why not
I can say they amount over expansion they are doing for the starlink satellite production over the next couple of years indicates plans for some more major changes in the pipe.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
More than having to buy a whole new phone to use the app?
Nit a comparison one can make. That has never really been the case before and we have no idea what other features Elon is going to develop into Twitter or what features would be included into any phone he may develop.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Starlink is going to begin installing cellular band antennas on all of the Sarlink satellites that get launched via the starship. This will enable any cell phone to have some level of basic coverage plus emergency 911 coverage anywhere within the country. He has made the offer to any cell carrier that they will work with them to incorporate this.

When it begins it will give you some basic text message access, and 911 access, even in the middle of nowhere, with your existing cell phone. Tmobile is the first carrier to partner with them.

(Technically the cell phones could work globably, but because each country manages it own radio spectrum access they must have permission to utilized those signal bands within each country. So the satellites will turn those functions in countries where they have no permission)
I believe he has an agreement with T Mobile.... there was a video of the announcement "ceremony" on the interweb a couple of months ago.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I thought Android was open source?

Play store is garbage, all he needs to do is open his own app store, boom done.

Developers don't give a shit about what platform hosts their apps, they just want to get paid.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Nit a comparison one can make. That has never really been the case before and we have no idea what other features Elon is going to develop into Twitter or what features would be included into any phone he may develop.
He mentioned he wanted to do a US version of We Chat or whatever it is called.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
He mentioned he wanted to do a US version of We Chat or whatever it is called.
Still not a comparison anyone can make. We Chat or what not is forced on the people. There is SOME choice here.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Still not a comparison anyone can make. We Chat or what not is forced on the people. There is SOME choice here.
Essentially building a Platform for everything you would want. A multi-purpose social media, messaging and payment app. etc. He says it could be built/ tweaked to be very useful if done the right way

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I thought Android was open source?

Play store is garbage, all he needs to do is open his own app store, boom done.

Developers don't give a shit about what platform hosts their apps, they just want to get paid.

Problem is that for the average user it's cumbersome to install non app store apps.

And for somewhat of a good reason, you don't want malicious virus type apps on your phone. Most users are not smart enough to understand how to differentiate between what is a trusted app and what is not. The apps store provides a level of security and trust for the bulk of users.

DLC

Reaction score
I hope he does a sat phone!
So I can make stock purchases and get E mail when Im way out in the middle of no where and listen to un interrupted Musk Music with no buffering!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
My thoughts on this are if Google and Apple are so large that they can conspire to kill off other companies then they should fall under the Sherman Anti Trust Act for Monopolies like this that perform collusion to stop competition.

Hopefully the Republican controlled house can bring this up to a vote. It’s rediculous this is happening in America!

TimeBandit

Reaction score

Apple is part of the cesspool. A HUGE part.

Reading through this article about lobbying against anti trust I see over $30 MILLION spent by big tech to fight it in the last 2 years.

The DOJ looks to be building a case against Apple, but keep in mind most "lobbyists" are very well connected ex govt employees or politicians.

What politician would say no to millions of dollars?

traquer

Reaction score
I hope he does it. The satellite angle would be what gives the public the "oh shit I need this product" mindset. Otherwise it'd be impossible to get the product off the ground

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

So you believe that a guy that has put an entire satellite system in orbit above the earth is incapable of whipping together a whole new phone eco system???

You're killing me Smalls...

🤣

lbhsbz

Reaction score
So you believe that a guy that has put an entire satellite system in orbit above the earth is incapable of whipping together a whole new phone eco system???

You're killing me Smalls...

🤣
$5 says the first thing he does is make a Tesla watch to go with it so you can summon your car like Kit from knight rider.

TCHB

Reaction score
I sold my Tesla stock in the first quarter.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
How about a basic phone with a web browser.
No apps.
No spyware.
Starlink capable.

I’m in for one of those.
That's how most apps work now-a-days anyways. They are just access points to the website. Essentially the same as RDP here saved on your homescreen. It has an icon like an app and functions like an app, but it's just a website optimized for mobile use. Same with fagbook and IG and Twitter and Amazon, etc etc.