WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Empty Nest RV Life Adventures

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I will apologize for the redundancy in advance :)

Sportin' Wood has been working remote for over a year so we got a wild hair and decided to purchase a gigantic motorhome, sell our house, pocket the cash and cruise around for a couple of years. We have traveled extensively throughout the west, but there have been some places where we have only stayed a night or two (or only a couple of hours) and we wanted to return and be able to spend more time. Here is our opportunity. Our itinerary changed over this summer due to #thisdamnrv, and we had to spend our week vacation with friends in Missoula in hotels, cancel our Sturgis plans, and delayed our Ennis, MT stay a couple of weeks. However, we've managed to stay positive and have fun. We are finally leaving N. Idaho tomorrow for the fly-fishing capital of the U.S. From there, I have plans through next summer. I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way, but here is the plan so far:

Ennis, MT for 3 weeks
Moab, UT for 3 weeks
Zion River for 2 weeks
Havasu for 5 months
Sedona for 1 month
Taos area for 3 weeks
Durango for a month
Then back to Montana for the summer.

We aren't real sure after that, but plan to tour the south next winter, including both coasts of Florida. October we will be in Conroe, TX area and plan to leave the coach there at Jeff's dad's for a couple of weeks while we go on our delayed 30th anniversary trip to Italy. Then we will head east.

Here are some pics and videos of the good parts of our Empty Nest RV life so far:

Spirit Lake on the boat

CB18C181-004E-43BF-8B37-90BA75F24CF3.jpeg

Independence Day in small town America

This guy is running for mayor

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We spent the following weekend checking out the Bitterroot Valley south of Missoula, looking at neighborhoods and towns as we continue our search for where we will end our gypsy life.

And I did spend one more day at the hot springs with my granddaughter :)

Hamilton Farmer's Market did not disappoint

IMG_8374.JPG

Pie on a stick? You talked me into it!!

IMG_8371.JPG

pie.jpg

Yellowstone Ranch ;)

yellowstone.jpg

hot spring.jpg

IMG_8346.JPG

fmo24

Reaction score
I think the hardest lesson is there is no rush. Unless you have a hard and fast reservation somewhere 200 miles or 500 miles A day don’t matter. We do rest stops or truck stops on the road. Stop just before dark walk the dog make dinner watch tv for a bit and call it a nite. I’m up earlier than my partner having coffee and walking the dog again lol. I have often gotten on the road before partner is up
And just stop again for coffee, breakfast and a pee break

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Our kids got us a guided fishing trip for Christmas. We had a great day, even though it was a bit smoky. I think Jeff got 8 and I got 6? No big, brown cutbows 😂 but it was a great day on the water. We wouldn't heave gone hungry for a few days if we had kept them.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We were able to make a trip to Glacier and it was 43° at Logan Pass! We did a three-mile hike, but the kids and grandbaby were with us, so there wasn't much empty nest enjoyment, except we didn't have to carry the baby backpack or change diapers :D

glacier 1.jpg

glacier 2.jpg

glacier 3.jpg

Our stay in Ennis was uneventful and disappointing. We arrived the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. We spent the rest of the weekend getting comfortable, chatting with our new neighbors and scoping fishing spots along the Madison. We went into Virginia City on Monday.

Oldest Bar in Montana
IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_8587.JPG

Homemade Ice Cream could not be passed up either
You can have ice cream for lunch when you are an empty nester. No questions asked, LOL
IMG_8588.JPG

IMG_8596.jpg

The wind came up every afternoon. We were working during the day, so couldn't fish in the morning. By the end of the week, we decided to go into Bozeman for Friday night, stay in a hotel, and explore some of Yellowstone that we hadn't seen before. It was VERY windy that Thursday and Friday morning. Had a great time in Bozeman, met a chef I follow on Instagram at the art walk, did some shopping in the "big city" for things like a guest blanket and new TV for the bedroom. Thinks you can't get in a town of 700+ :)

Attachments

• IMG_8585.JPG
    IMG_8585.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8586.JPG
    IMG_8586.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8587.JPG
    IMG_8587.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8588.JPG
    IMG_8588.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8596.jpg
    IMG_8596.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 43

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Bozeman has art walks every other Friday in the summer. We stumbled across it a couple of years ago and were able to catch the last one of the season. All of the shops showcase a different artist, the galleries and stores stay open later, there is live music every couple of blocks, it's just a great vibe. OH! The most important part is that the shops also showcase local beers, wines, and/or spirits . . . and offer free drinks as long as you remain in the store. Winning!

Our favorite distillery in Montana. They make THE BEST GIN!
7B8CAAF1-AF43-48C8-AA66-889738B38E48.JPG

IMG_8630.JPG

Mammoth Hot Springs at the park. Been through 6-8 times and never took the time to stop here until this trip.

IMG_8638.JPG

IMG_8642.JPG

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG
IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_3680.JPG

It was windy the whole day. We tried to fish some on the Gallatin on the way back to the RV park, but we just got pissed off and gave up.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Pic of our campsite in Ennis. The river was too far to walk to. It's off in the trees from this shot, across private property. We saw deer, cows, horses, sand hill cranes and antelope all enjoy the meadow. Nice view for 3 weeks. Great town, but the weather just didn't do us any favors. The people were lovely, restaurants and bars were plentiful, for the size of town. They call themselves "A drinking town with a fishing problem." Nice grocery store, several autoparts stores, a couple of gas stations, and 4-5 fly shops, LOL. Oh, and Willie's Distillery, which makes some great cocktails.

But, it was so windy every afternoon after that first weekend (Labor Day) that we couldn't even sit outside for happy hour, much less eat a meal out there. The weekend after we went to Yellowstone, we were literally stuck inside the whole weekend with rain, 40-50 mph gusty winds and snow in the mountains to a level too close. We watched TV :( We scouted out a spot to fish below Ennis Lake (just to the left in this picture) for our final Sunday there because the wind was supposed to die down . . . but it didn't. It was a nice drive, but we spent our Sunday disgusted and packed up to leave on Wednesday afternoon. Next stop, Moab, UT.

IMG_8709.jpg

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
It took a couple of days to get to Moab. Stayed one night at Walmart in Blackfoot, ID. We weren't too sure about taking the shortcut on hwy 87 between Hwy 287 to Hwy 20. But it was a SUPER road to take. Much better than the huge grade to West Yellowstone.

The next night, we assumed we could stay at Cabela's in Lehi, because Cabela's always allows it, right? Well, turns out there is a city ordinance with no overnight camping on any city roads and parking lots. It was a bummer because that SLC traffic was pretty sketchy for these two country bumpkins with a 43' coach! Thank goodness we went through before rush hour. But we were pretty spent and wanted to just stop and have a beer and decompress. Nope. Tried to find a campground in the area on a Thursday. All booked up for our size coach. Went to the Loves truck stop at Spanish Fort as a last resort. EVERY SPOT WAS FULL. I drove the truck across to Cracker Barrel to check it out. There was one spot open. I didn't dare leave, so I radioed to Jeff to come over and grab it. Bonus, we got to eat at Cracker Barrel instead of Cabelas :D

There is a page called "Flattestroute.com" that helps find . . . the flattest route. Jeff was nervous about going over hwy 6 towards green river, he had done it several times before and recalled a steep grade. So I put our points in on this site and it turns out that Hwy 6 was considerably less of a grade than going through Cedar City and over I-70. It worked out fine also. Lots of passing lanes, so there was less pressure. Some of the passing lanes were on the downhill also.

So, we got to Moab about noon on Friday. Here is our view. We are staying with a friend in his driveway for the next few weeks.

IMG_8713 2.JPG

Spent Saturday riding 6 miles into town and back. Some shopping and a drink at Woody's.
IMG_8727.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

Yesterday, we went in to Arches.

RichL

Reaction score
It took a couple of days to get to Moab. Stayed one night at Walmart in Blackfoot, ID. We weren't too sure about taking the shortcut on hwy 87 between Hwy 287 to Hwy 20. But it was a SUPER road to take. Much better than the huge grade to West Yellowstone.

The next night, we assumed we could stay at Cabela's in Lehi, because Cabela's always allows it, right? Well, turns out there is a city ordinance with no overnight camping on any city roads and parking lots. It was a bummer because that SLC traffic was pretty sketchy for these two country bumpkins with a 43' coach! Thank goodness we went through before rush hour. But we were pretty spent and wanted to just stop and have a beer and decompress. Nope. Tried to find a campground in the area on a Thursday. All booked up for our size coach. Went to the Loves truck stop at Spanish Fort as a last resort. EVERY SPOT WAS FULL. I drove the truck across to Cracker Barrel to check it out. There was one spot open. I didn't dare leave, so I radioed to Jeff to come over and grab it. Bonus, we got to eat at Cracker Barrel instead of Cabelas :D

There is a page called "Flattestroute.com" that helps find . . . the flattest route. Jeff was nervous about going over hwy 6 towards green river, he had done it several times before and recalled a steep grade. So I put our points in on this site and it turns out that Hwy 6 was considerably less of a grade than going through Cedar City and over I-70. It worked out fine also. Lots of passing lanes, so there was less pressure. Some of the passing lanes were on the downhill also.

So, we got to Moab about noon on Friday. Here is our view. We are staying with a friend in his driveway for the next few weeks.

View attachment 1053894

Spent Saturday riding 6 miles into town and back. Some shopping and a drink at Woody's. View attachment 1053895

View attachment 1053896

Yesterday, we went in to Arches.

Looks like beautiful country.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
LOL, we were in Coeur d'Alene area at the time of that event.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Still in Moab for another ten days or so. Quit work around 3:30 one afternoon and did this little 2 mile hike right from town to a waterfall.

Did some brownwater rafting on Saturday. Colorado River looks like chocolate milk.
IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_8851.JPG

Not much for rapids, but it was still a good day and we got a little wet and had a nice burger and beer at the Red Lodge Inn.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Done Mill Creek. Fun walk. You CAN get wet depending on line.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Still in Moab for another ten days or so. Quit work around 3:30 one afternoon and did this little 2 mile hike right from town to a waterfall.

Did some brownwater rafting on Saturday. Colorado River looks like chocolate milk. View attachment 1055713

View attachment 1055714

Not much for rapids, but it was still a good day and we got a little wet and had a nice burger and beer at the Red Lodge Inn.
Maybe that is the same area I went. The water was clear and big rapids when we went thru. Couple of people got bounced out. Lol

81Sprint

Reaction score
Love Moab, was there for a week in March for EJS and going back next March for a week and a half. I would move there right now if i could.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Love Moab, was there for a week in March for EJS and going back next March for a week and a half. I would move there right now if i could.
We have been many times in the Spring and are really appreciating being here in Autumn. Weather is absolutely fantastic. Crowds are clearing out as of last weekend. For future reference, Village Market (next to the brewery) is much less crowded and a better overall experience than City Market.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Jeff & I are in the front on the left.

MAS_2211.jpg

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sept-Nov is the best time of year in that part of the world. Comfortable days with nice chilly nights. Enjoy!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Had a spectacular 4 mile hike up to Corona Arch Saturday. Jeff rode Porcupine Rim with a friend on mountain bike Sunday.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Well, #thisdamnrv made it from Moab to Zion. The only issue was that the driver's side front bay of the basement opened before we got on I-70 and we lost our noodle slide guards. The WHOLE trip was either uphill or down hill. No flat runs. Left Moab at 9:30 and arrived here at 4:40 pm. Staying at Zion River RV Park. Very nice. A little close, but it's small, so it doesn't seem so crowded. Going to do laundry today. I've discovered that Sundays are the day that most people do laundry and it's always busy. Since I can do it pretty much any day of the week, I will do it today instead.

IMG_8969.JPG

IMG_8970.JPG

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Well, #thisdamnrv made it from Moab to Zion. The only issue was that the driver's side front bay of the basement opened before we got on I-70 and we lost our noodle slide guards. The WHOLE trip was either uphill or down hill. No flat runs. Left Moab at 9:30 and arrived here at 4:40 pm. Staying at Zion River RV Park. Very nice. A little close, but it's small, so it doesn't seem so crowded. Going to do laundry today. I've discovered that Sundays are the day that most people do laundry and it's always busy. Since I can do it pretty much any day of the week, I will do it today instead.

View attachment 1059383

View attachment 1059385
When I had my Class A there was one door that would pop open every now and then. Scared the shit out of me and I eventually replaced that latch. Never lost anything out of the storage but it wouldn't open on the fwy due to pressure but at the first stop it would open on a surface street. YIKES!!!!!

I think I have stayed there where you guys are but it has been years.

Love Zion.....have fun

Singleton

Reaction score

View attachment 1059383

View attachment 1059385
Great little park.
Do they still do the homemade ice-cream?

Sandlord

Reaction score
Love the adventures.
We hit most of those places in the last few years as well.
Yosemite, Yellowstone, Twin Falls, Zion, Moab and a few others in the last 2 years.
Heading back to Moab in May. And those are just the RV adventures.
I‘m loving my retirement.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We considered getting up at the crack of dawn and head into the park, we are about 12 miles away. Beginning about 6 am we could hear the steady stream of cars going in. So we decided to have a leisurely breakfast and mimosa before going out. We drove up to the park around 10 and there was absolutely zero parking to be had. There has always been very limited parking in the gate, but the only spots we found available all through Springdale was someone pimping out their business spots for $60 a piece. That's a hard no. Can't blame the person, that's capitalism. Supply and demand.

So we decided to go check out Sand Hollow SP instead. Looks to be about 25 feet lower than normal. Lots of beach available.

IMG_8978.JPG

There were powerboats on it, but it was a little smaller than I would probably be comfortable with. I'd guess it's a complete zoo in the summer, considering it's the largest lake in the area.

The offroad area adjacent to it looks like a lot of fun, especially in a SxS. The Trail Hero event was there last weekend.

We stopped to help some kids from SLC who got their Toyota sedan into a tough spot. Three girls and a guy. They didn't even try to figure out how to get out. Just sat there helpless. Jeff told them to start digging while he would get the gear. They all just stood there. As he was almost done getting the sand ladders down from the roof, I said, "Okay, start digging out those tires so we can get the ladders under them." Only the guy started moving. The girls (one of the girls was the owner of the car), just stood there. SMH

Got the ladders under and told her to hit the gas and don't let off. Just as she got off the ladders, the car decelerated. We all asked her why she let off the gas when we told her to pin it. She said she didn't. Apparently this has something to do with a safety feature on the vehicle. So she was stuck again. Not a big deal since it was all sand and easy to dig, but it did it a second time. However she was able to start again and get back onto the packed shoulder near the road. This stupid "safety" feature some engineer designed placed her in a potentially "unsafe" situation of getting stuck. Unintended consequences. Anyway, got them on the road without much effort and earned some karma points.

IMG_8980 2.JPG

Back to work for the week. Will probably take Friday off and hit the park early that morning to hike the narrows. I'd like to also go up in the afternoon and see how crowded it is around 4 pm mid-week.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Great little park.
Do they still do the homemade ice-cream?

I haven't seen any. They have ice cream pints in the store, but it was a commercial brand.
The hot tub was nice last night once the children got out.

Singleton

Reaction score
I haven't seen any. They have ice cream pints in the store, but it was a commercial brand.
The hot tub was nice last night once the children got out.

they had a cafe type thing by the pool when we stayed their in 2018. The homemade ice-cream was awesome,

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Love the adventures.
We hit most of those places in the last few years as well.
Yosemite, Yellowstone, Twin Falls, Zion, Moab and a few others in the last 2 years.
Heading back to Moab in May. And those are just the RV adventures.
I‘m loving my retirement.
Being retired is awesome :)

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Awesome thread. Keep the pics and stories coming.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
One more mountain biking video from here in Zion. Had a super day last weekend biking Gooseberry Mesa.

Only a few more days left to enjoy here in Zion before we head south to Havasu.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
If you are not familiar with this hike, it's nearly all through water over rocks. The rocks weren't particularly slippery, but it was pretty technical as you had to constantly choose your step so that you don't roll your ankle or fall in the water. There are dry pants and boots available for rent just outside the park. They also rent dry backpacks and hiking poles (big, heavy wooden ones). We chose to use our fishing waders and boots along with our trekking poles. Jeff got by with one, but he has better balance than I do. I would have surely stumbled more than once had I not had both poles. You can take a shuttle and get a permit to begin at the top and come down, but there is some bouldering involved, and most people camp overnight. We chose to start at the bottom and walked about 7 miles up and then came back down. The first mile up is paved. We could have kept going, but I had to . . . umm . . . relieve myself, LOL. There is nowhere to "go." With the waders on, going in the water is problematic, LOL. So, we had to hurry back. I was even careful not to drink too much water, but it didn't help. Epic day, though. Epic hike.

We got into the park at 6:30. The first shuttle up leaves at 7 am. This was the line for the first shuttle. We ended up on the 5th. Each shuttle is a bus and a trailer/bus. The last time we got on the shuttle about 5 years ago there were a total of 5 people on the 7 am bus.

52040D06-2AB2-4A04-876D-056814C7E2FA_1_105_c.jpeg

Paved part

13E76503-9F5B-4DBC-B91A-4998384A71A8_1_105_c.jpeg

6AF7D28B-A382-4679-A8A9-0AFE49C557F7_1_105_c.jpeg

C9D6D348-D6A9-4308-9B44-42630B43A8F5_1_105_c.jpeg

D04522DD-FFD3-4EA0-B3A7-CFD927F76E34_1_105_c.jpeg

67A5CD64-D0BB-4CA6-82EE-E9D5E613240D_1_105_c.jpeg

CE6C2A10-47DD-45A0-ACA3-D35E06846A6C_1_105_c.jpeg

I believe we were off the trail by around 11:30 am.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We are enjoying the Islander. Everyone is very nice. It's like a parade when you drive your buggy around. Everyone waves. Every time. Even if you just drove by 10 minutes ago, LOL. The spaces are about 50% larger than we are used to so far on this journey.

IMG_9107.JPG

We are slowly updating our site because we feel inadequate. These snowbirds really commit! BBQs, smokers, patio sets, refrigerators, etc. We purchased a shade extension for the awning because the sun is still pretty brutal in November. We had to get a solar light to put up our American Flag so we can keep it up at night and got some more carpeting to extend our patio area. It's coming together.

We have 4 kayaks. Left two in Idaho and took two for the kids to use in Montana. We couldn't bring the rooftop tent and the kayaks. We had to choose, and we still want to go camping. So we decided to go buy a paddleboard because the water is so amazing every day!

IMG_9147.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

95BBF573-918E-4AEE-B809-32E4CF15CB0F.JPG

IMG_9164.jpg

Went boating one day with some friends, and we went to the Bunker Bar with some others the next day. This most past weekend we had friends out from high school who did the same thing we did. Sold their house, pocketed the cash, and took off in their travel trailer. Their home base is Spokane area, so we have been in touch a lot over the years. It was great to hang out for a few days by the pool and fire pit.

We have been in the pool or hot tub about half of the afternoons after work.
IMG_492694B2E3CA-1.jpeg

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We supported the local volunteer fire department. We didn't win the raffle :'(

Biscuits and gravy was pretty good

IMG_C5548DEF145F-1.jpeg

And tonight was the "Taste of Havasu" restaurant tasting for $12/person

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9170.JPG

Needless to say, we've been enjoying our time here and are very happy we did not end up at Prospector's several miles up the road.

@riverroyal , where you at? Come have a beer, bloody mary, or mimosa this weekend if you are around. We even have Montana Mimosas ;)

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I know many of you guys get to do this all the time, but it's been probably 15 years or more since we've had a bloody mary from Fox's. Went down for breakfast, then to Pirate's Den RV park to hang out with an old friend of ours visiting there from Cedar City and got some custom signs made for the parents from a guy at the swap meet.

IMG_9288.JPG

IMG_9289.JPG

The Huevos Rancheros was incredible. Exactly what I was looking for.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What’s was that restaurant invitational deal?

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
What’s was that restaurant invitational deal?

I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Edit: Oh, the thing at the Islander. They showcase several restaurants here every fall, I guess? For the snowbirds at the beginning of the season so they can sample the local establishments. I thought it was pretty cool. I think it was $12 a ticket. Then you got so many raffle tickets to take to each booth. One raffle ticket got you a couple of samples from that place. For example, the Italian place had meatballs, ravioli, and fettucini alfredo with chicken. You could pick 2 of the 3 with the raffle ticket.

Last edited: