WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Enclosed trailer upgrades.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Going to get back at it tonight and tomorrow night.
Bought the foil backed sheeting for the ceiling and the material to build the beds.
Main goal will be to get the windows in.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Went ahead and cut a hole. That was nerve racking.
21F1C952-0D4F-4F36-A23C-07D09F45A18C.jpeg
6822319B-21BD-4717-B2A6-9DB5A1946ACA.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Before you install those windows, go get them UV tinted.
Nope they are small and I won’t be staying in it during summer.

Nobody UV tints their 80k Toyhaulers. I think I’m good to go on this cheap little thing.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You guys are rich.

This started out with plans to buy $1000-1500 tent.

I’m over $7,000. I think I can cut the corner of UV tent on my 12x24 windows 🤣

Singleton

Reaction score
You guys are rich.

This started out with plans to buy $1000-1500 tent.

I’m over $7,000. I think I can cut the corner of UV tent on my 12x24 windows 🤣
You have not cut a corner yet, why start now. :)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You have not cut a corner yet, why start now. :)

It’s been an expensive month.
Truck
Tickets to Missouri for week
Xmas
Tickets to rodeo in Texas February
Just went Disneyland
Week trip to June lake is coming up and my hunting trip to Colorado

Fun account is looking slim lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Got the windows installed and the ceiling sheeted.
The ceiling was a royal pain and took way longer than it should have. Nothing was square. Most importantly the ceiling truss was out of square and was only 1” wide so making the joints meet and having enough wood to get a screw in was a pain.

Also got the beds framed out. Just need to get them mounted and legs cut.

Need to get the trim reinstalled and front counter built along with wrapping up the bed install.
Then paint and it’s done for now.
68FDECF1-10FD-4A05-ADC2-0D599ECEB94B.jpeg
A8A33850-9FFC-4BE3-AE02-AE59D2E511C1.jpeg
C79E6B27-0BE3-4E43-B58C-0A7838963752.jpeg

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So I’m on the hunt for a shore power adapter.

This should work. But the threads on the outside have me second guessing if it needs the fancy RV cord that screws on? It should work with a standard twist lock right?

F21FCD6E-6B23-470C-A5B6-4E733E577B50.jpeg

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Nope they are small and I won’t be staying in it during summer.

Nobody UV tints their 80k Toyhaulers. I think I’m good to go on this cheap little thing.
$600 to tint a toyhauler. Lol.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So I’m on the hunt for a shore power adapter.

This should work. But the threads on the outside have me second guessing if it needs the fancy RV cord that screws on? It should work with a standard twist lock right?

View attachment 1152542

Nothing on my toy hauler uses twist lock.

It's all 30 amp RV plugs. Are you trying to bring shore/generator power in?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Nothing on my toy hauler uses twist lock.

It's all 30 amp RV plugs. Are you trying to bring shore/generator power in?

Yes shore power. That is a 30amp plug. The new style RV don’t have cords you shove inside the trailer. They screw on.
Like this.

I was just wondering if a standard twist lock would work instead of buying that big ass cord.
I’m thinking no.
I’m just trying to setup a couple outlets inside.

719732EA-B0A7-4CE0-8131-56DB1E26D59D.jpeg

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Is the insulation on the bottom going to hold moisture after a rain storm or from washing it and rot out the floors?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Is the insulation on the bottom going to hold moisture after a rain storm or from washing it and rot out the floors?

Suppose it’s possible. But if it wasn’t insulated it would get wet as well.

This trailer will be sitting in the back yard 50 weeks a year in Southern California. So I’m thinking it won’t see much rain. The water would also have to defy gravity to get to the wood. The water would have to find its way on top of the black sheeting then get passed the foam board which is in there pretty tight no big gaps then travel 3” up to the wood.

Besides I never keep anything to long. I will upgrade long before I have to worry about the structure going bad.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes shore power. That is a 30amp plug. The new style RV don’t have cords you shove inside the trailer. They screw on.
Like this. View attachment 1152782

I was just wondering if a standard twist lock would work instead of buying that big ass cord.
I’m thinking no.
I’m just trying to setup a couple outlets inside.

If you're not going to run an AC, just simple stuff like chargers and lights...

Do you really need 30amp cables/connections?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If you're not going to run an AC, just simple stuff like chargers and lights...

Do you really need 30amp cables/connections?
Nope but I might get crazy next year with solar and dual 6v and install a microwave. Rather only cut 1 hole on the side of the trailer and not have to worry about cutting another later or make the same hole work.
1 and done.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nope but I might get crazy next year with solar and dual 6v and install a microwave. Rather only cut 1 hole on the side of the trailer and not have to worry about cutting another later or make the same hole work.
1 and done.

That trailer aint big enuf to install 30amps worth of solar panels on it! 🤣

I have some old twist lock cables in the garage from when I worked in construction. If you're interested, PM me. You could just replace the ends if you had to. Benlow in Irwindale has all kinna cool trailer stuff in stock too. 👍

CLdrinker

Reaction score
That trailer aint big enuf to install 30amps worth of solar panels on it! 🤣

I have some old twist lock cables in the garage from when I worked in construction. If you're interested, PM me. You could just replace the ends if you had to. Benlow in Irwindale has all kinna cool trailer stuff in stock too. 👍

I just buy the dam thing. If it don’t work Mr Bezos pays for free return shipping.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Finally some progress.
Painted the walls
Primed the floor
Installed beds
Installed counter
Installed 30amp shore plug ( over kill now, but will need later )
box and outlets
Re-installed trim

Finish paint tomorrow.

745B4E11-0EED-40D0-B908-2AE9B2AC5511.jpeg
BB938359-57A7-4BCA-9638-28C155E7B441.jpeg
F210A048-BFAD-4F02-8AF8-D57A51A9371E.jpeg
71F181D0-A582-4B47-9E5C-4F7EAA94BF1F.jpeg

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Kids bikes fit well. Once my boy grows out of the 50 and graduates to the 90. We will have to buy something bigger for the middle kid. Or push my boy to a dirt bike. Trailer will be big enough for a while. Still have the 8’bed if the truck empty for them to all grow into bigger toys.
But after that quad thread in the lounge I have the itch....
299B9758-E8C8-4377-9108-5D168F1557EC.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well done! Aren't you headed up to the Sierra's soon?? It's getting late!!!

69hondo

Reaction score
Kids bikes fit well. Once my boy grows out of the 50 and graduates to the 90. We will have to buy something bigger for the middle kid. Or push my boy to a dirt bike. Trailer will be big enough for a while. Still have the 8’bed if the truck empty for them to all grow into bigger toys.
But after that quad thread in the lounge I have the itch.... View attachment 1159338
Looks good man. You did a lot of upgrade to that trailer. Bring it out to johnson valley next weekend. We will be out there.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Next week for 5 days. Staying at SilverLake resort this time.
We had a great time at Silver Lake Resort! We are staying in Lone Pine next weekend and travelling up to Bishop Creek Canyon and points in between for our annual Fall colors trip. Can't wait for a little cooler weather and some actual Fall.

Have a great time up at Silver Lake!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Something told me to check the wheel bearings. Glad I did! Looked like they just assembled the hubs and filled With grease via the zerk fitting.

The bearing didn’t have much greased packed in the at all.

I repacked and installed. Spins much better.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Trailer will be for sale when I get back.

$8500.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Trailer worked awesome. We had major issues with the mr buddy heaters going off on low oxygen. So we went without heaters. Got down to single digits at night. We slept with 1 window open because the heaters made some bad fumes that had me nervous.

We both had $65 “15 degree bags” with a blanket over that. And we were comfortable. So obviously the insulation worked well.

With the power setup we charged our phones and laptops each night without problems.

Counter had plenty of room to warm up dinner.

The beds being mounted high and flip up worked great. We flipped them up when we needed to room and stored all of our gear under the other bed.

Pretty happy with it.

I would like to buy a bigger trailer and build it out the same.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Have you looked into those cheap Chinese diesel heaters? I hear they work pretty well.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
We have one of these in our 32' 5th wheel. (Ours is the wave 8) Single and teen temps nightly. Going on 5 years. Safe enough for tents, they say. 20 lb propane tank lasts about a week, or so.

Dan'l

I think my problem is I’m more air tight than a tent. We ran it with 2 windows open and it would shut off on low oxygen.

Backlash

Reaction score
If you can find one of these slightly used, I think it would be perfect!! I've got one that I picked up off of Craigslist that I'll eventually be installing in my truck camper. Lots of good reviews on numerous boating forums. 👍

As far as sleeping bags go, I have a few. One that I think would work great in your situation would be a genuine military issued "Extreme Cold Weather System" mummy bag. You can find them on eBay from time to time, and they work great! They aren't very light, but man they are warm and extremely durable. For the price I think they are unbeatable.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I think my problem is I’m more air tight than a tent. We ran it with 2 windows open and it would shut off on low oxygen.

Maybe you need a roof vent with a small fan in it and crack one of the other windows to get air to draw through.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Maybe you need a roof vent with a small fan in it and crack one of the other windows to get air to draw through.
I was thinking the same thing. But after this trip I’m not sure I’m ready to do it all over again.

My hunting buddy wasn’t in shape for what we had to do. Dam near loosing the truck and trailer took the fun right out of it.

But on the positive side I got to harvest an animal that is way above average on a public land over counter tag without any professional help.
To me that is an accomplishment of a lifetime. Sometimes you consider going out on top you know.
Maybe I will pick it back up when my son is ready.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If you can find one of these slightly used, I think it would be perfect!! I've got one that I picked up off of Craigslist that I'll eventually be installing in my truck camper. Lots of good reviews on numerous boating forums. 👍

As far as sleeping bags go, I have a few. One that I think would work great in your situation would be a genuine military issued "Extreme Cold Weather System" mummy bag. You can find them on eBay from time to time, and they work great! They aren't very light, but man they are warm and extremely durable. For the price I think they are unbeatable.
My bag was really good actually. I looked at the military bags but I spent 4x what I had planned on spending so I started making some sacrifices lol.

hman442

Reaction score
Trailer worked awesome. We had major issues with the mr buddy heaters going off on low oxygen. So we went without heaters. Got down to single digits at night. We slept with 1 window open because the heaters made some bad fumes
On your next project, maybe invest in a good carbon monoxide detector, if the heater hadn't of shut off from low O2, you guys might of.
Nice job on the project, by the way, as well as nice job on the Elk !

CLdrinker

Reaction score
On your next project, maybe invest in a good carbon monoxide detector, if the heater hadn't of shut off from low O2, you guys might of.
Nice job on the project, by the way, as well as nice job on the Elk !

I do have a carbon monoxide detector. That really confused me why it wasn’t going off.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Just ordered the axle flip kit and the underbelly material.

Plan to get the axle flipped this weekend.
probley the very first thing I would have done here, and the cheepest thing to do to get the most benifit.. would be to get 5500 lb axel... those are only 3500 lb and you will run out gcwr quick.... im guessin that you will be at 2000 lbs or more running across the scales when done.. that leaves only 1500 for cargo.... where as with the bigger axels and bearings you would be at 3500 lb of cargo....

CLdrinker

Reaction score
probley the very first thing I would have done here, and the cheepest thing to do to get the most benifit.. would be to get 5500 lb axel... those are only 3500 lb and you will run out gcwr quick.... im guessin that you will be at 2000 lbs or more running across the scales when done.. that leaves only 1500 for cargo.... where as with the bigger axels and bearings you would be at 3500 lb of cargo....
3500 axle is more than adequate for my intentions.
Sometimes in life KISS is applicable.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
3500 axle is more than adequate for my intentions.
Sometimes in life KISS is applicable.
like I said,... first thing I would do... but to be truthfull... I would never have bought a single axel trailer to begin with...

I had a open trailer built ,... 12' long... I put 2 5200 lb axels with big tires. on it..,.. also... added an axel to my 2 axel schiada trailer...

also built out 2 trailers,... 22' &24' made then triple axels also... my 2 axel 24' I got 3 blow outs on the way from vegas to kanab...180 miles..

Last edited: