WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

End of an era outside the Window

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
4591C356-342F-4BC0-8CD8-49CF66020EBF.jpeg

I’m sitting in Starbucks watching the former Farmers Insurance Building being demolished.
What once employed 100s of workers is now done on a microchip.

Everyone knew someone that worked for Farmers.

The Burger King next door was the first to fold, then the Senior Gomez Cantina and the Hot Dogger across the street, then the whole mall took a financial hit with vacancies.

When PCs gained popularity the Travel agency’s out here were the first to vanish.
12 hr delivery on the last truck parts I ordered online but the auto parts chains seem to still be standing.

Ya wonder what’s next to fold.

RCDave

Reaction score
We used to eat often at Senior Gomez.

Reactions: TPC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
To your point on the auto parts stores, they are very efficient, and have figured out how to compete.

I was changing the wheel bearings on my RZR on Sunday. I ordered the wheel bearings from Orielly’s Sunday afternoon, they were there for pickup at my local store 8AM on Monday.

That is one example, but I have ordered parts in the morning, and they are there by the afternoon during the week. Can’t beat that.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Auto parts seem to have it figured out. Their own little hub distribution, trucks constantly running.
I drive 12 miles to go to Napa. Old school shop or they don't ask if it has air conditioning, for a wheel bearing.
I do use RockAuto, but try to support brick and mortar.
If I get something online and it's wrong I have to ship it back. Big pain in the ass.
Cost me a little bit more. Core charges are an issue also.
Next to drop? Don't know. But I stopped into a little burrito place a couple of weeks ago. Wanted to grab a bite on the road. Saw one I liked, 10 bucks? F*** that, I walked out.
Good for my diet though...

RaceTec

Reaction score
I couldn't believe when they demolished the Boeing building just down the street from my shop. Super nice high rise, demolished to put in a business park. Crazy how fast it changes...

StevieHops

Reaction score
View attachment 844157

I’m sitting in Starbucks watching the former Farmers Insurance Building being demolished.

The Burger King next door was the first to fold, then the Senior Gomez Cantina and the Hot Dogger across the street, then the whole mall took a financial hit with vacancies.

When PCs gained popularity the Travel agency’s out here were the first to vanish.
12 hr delivery on the last truck parts I ordered online but the auto parts chains seem to still be standing.

I do not think that farmers was closed because of the "times" they just built a brand new HQ in phx for 5000 employees. Geico just built another building in Tucson for 3500 employees. These companies are not folding they are just moving to more friendly corporate environments.

franky

Reaction score
I couldn't believe when they demolished the Boeing building just down the street from my shop. Super nice high rise, demolished to put in a business park. Crazy how fast it changes...
On Canoga?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
For us that are seeing old facilities we've known all our lives go down is kinda weird. During our lifetime new builds essentially expanded the cities, now we see way more repurposing or demo/rebuilding.
Progress.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I do not think that farmers was closed because of the "times" they just built a brand new HQ in phx for 5000 employees. Geico just built another building in Tucson for 3500 employees. These companies are not folding they are just moving to more friendly corporate environments.
I heard that was part of a contraction and downsizing of the workforce.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well according to one rdp member it’s gonna be mortgage houses and brokers.. :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Well according to one rdp member it’s gonna be mortgage houses and brokers.. :D

The house next door just sold for well over asking price and most the bids came in from one realtors clients if you can figure out how that would roll. Damfino.
The RE Agent is a dad of a famous actress and that probably helps but some kinda way to get your name out there churning up business and getting a following seems to be the way to roll to make any bank.

Talking to him over an hour he had salesmanship that megapixels on a screen just couldn't deliver.
If salespeople don't go to work no one does.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
To your point on the auto parts stores, they are very efficient, and have figured out how to compete.
Auto parts seem to have it figured out.... I do use RockAuto, but try to support brick and mortar.
One feature that leads me to support Brick and Mortar Auto Parts is tool loan/rental. Online guys can't do that. Hopefully they'll manage to keep afloat.

rampster

Reaction score
Farmers has brand new shining buildings right by where I live employing 100's. Sounds like things moved to AZ.

robby dmax

Reaction score
View attachment 844157

just think Ross we are going to get more low income Apartments with storefronts underneath of them in place of the old farmers building.
Just what we need :mad:

dribble

Reaction score
Auto parts seem to have it figured out. Their own little hub distribution, trucks constantly running.
I drive 12 miles to go to Napa. Old school shop or they don't ask if it has air conditioning, for a wheel bearing.
If I get something online and it's wrong I have to ship it back. Big pain in the ass.
Next to drop? Don't know. But I stopped into a little burrito place a couple of weeks ago. Wanted to grab a bite on the road. Saw one I liked, 10 bucks? F*** that, I walked out.

I try to use the actual stores as well but price does matter. I went to O'reilly to get an HID bulb for an eighteen year old Acura and they quoted $105.00. I told the guy that Rock Auto sells the same bulb for $36.00. He lowered the price to $49.00. The commercial accounts are keeping the brick and mortar store alive.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I am a car dork. I get most of my parts for normal stuff locally if possible, or from businesses I know out of state. One of my friends always tells me it's stupid, wait a day or so and get it cheaper online. He knows the guys at the counter, and had a shop here a long time. All those employees at the supply houses up here spend their money here too. I will pay the extra 10-20% to not export my money, and keep it around here. It may be a losing battle, but locals pay me. If there is local money, maybe it comes back around?

fmo24

Reaction score
We travel full time and I’m finding the Napa stores in small town are the best. Walked in one looking for a big battery cable and the guy goes in back and made it up while I waited. Had the lugs and crimper and all taped up in a few minutes. I think they support the local guys heavy equip and farm stuff

2Driver

Reaction score
Farmers has brand new shining buildings right by where I live employing 100's. Sounds like things moved to AZ.

yeah I was going to say they are building big time in Phoenix and Nationwide is building over 1 million sq ft off the 101.
State Farm is a city in Tempe. I don’t even recognize the place anymore. It’s all high rises or tower cranes building them

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My point is things are changing here at home.
No one I know was offered a transfer.
I was talking to the manager of the Fridays.
He said it's California choking and chasing out restaurant business.

franky

Reaction score
Or the Long Beach facility on Lakewood Blvd.
The one with the big cool neon? I thought they made that into the Mercedes facility. I lived down the street from there for 3 years

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
I also don’t mind paying a little more to help support local businesses. At our parts house in town, the guys will use customer accounts that get great pricing, and charge me that.
Win-win..........

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
There’s a guy on YouTube, Retail Archaeology, he travels all over and documents the dying malls and retail outlets .

4Waters

Reaction score
just think Ross we are going to get more low income Apartments with storefronts underneath of them in place of the old farmers building.
This is the latest I have seen, this is not what I thought it was going to be

1581534715681_image1.JPG

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
We were fighting one of those in our neighborhood. Three-story stucco box.
Low income? 1800 bucks for a studio, 2200 for a one bedroom, 2800 for 2 bedroom. They may have had to account for some section 8 or low income.

Tank

Reaction score
I think it's weird how you go to Europe and everything is 2,000 years old and then you come to the U.S. and we rip down and rebuild every few years leaving virtually nothing of heritage left. East coast has a lot of old buildings and originals still standing but seems the further west you go the more shit just gets replaced. My house was built just shy of 100 years ago and it's basically the last house left from the original development. Nothing else left in the area original.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I'd be excited to see the California DMV fold.! I'd celebrate that...

If the Calif DMV was a privately owned business with their current operating structure, it would fold in a month........

I think the whole registration process needs to go private.

--Sherpa

sintax

Reaction score

I feel the same way for parts places. I try to support Napa when I can, they dont give me the blank stare when I ask them to look at their books, or if I go in asking for a wheel stud with these specific measurements. Just give me the Dorman parts book, your computer wont help you here.

grumpy88

Reaction score
That building was big in my life my mom and a lot of friends parents worked there .

Turnup

Reaction score
Farmers hasn't heavily occupied that place in many years, and if they continued to they would have lost half to asbestos related deaths. I'm really surprised the hugger population is letting the demo happen in open air like that because that building was seriously hazardous.

4Waters

Reaction score
Farmers hasn't heavily occupied that place in many years, and if they continued to they would have lost half to asbestos related deaths. I'm really surprised the hugger population is letting the demo happen in open air like that because that building was seriously hazardous.
I don't know if you live here but that was brought up the other day and it was said samples were tested and no asbestos was found and the building was built in 1982 when asbestos wasn't allowed to be used any more. At one point the county was going to purchase the building and wanted the school district and park district to move in but both declined.

Kbach

Reaction score
And electricity, this shit pisses me the fuk off. This is about 3/4 of a mile from me.

Ya but even closer to me. I'm sure the fine low income families that live there will enjoy all the shit that will undoubtedly get stolen from my hood.

rrrr

Reaction score

State Farm built a huge new headquarters in Plano a couple of years ago with two 25 story buildings. I think it employs around 5,000.