WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ENDURO RESULTS ?

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Yea, I couldn't set and watch the whole thing and now I can't find any information or replays . I saw who won the overall but don't really understand that.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Yea, I couldn't set and watch the whole thing and now I can't find any information or replays . I saw who won the overall but don't really understand that.

Same here, I would like to see the results of all the classes. People are talking about a strategy the winner used to win the overall yet they averaged 65~mph?

Taboma

Reaction score
Guess you'd have to be a participant to understand it, I certainly don't. All I can gather is that it's more of a timed, technical race, not even sure race is the proper term, more of a timed rally that goes in circles. Or I suppose more like bracket racing in a circle :rolleyes

What I find extremely odd is, I'm not even sure RD himself understands, nor does he seem to want to ;)

All I know is, an 80 mph boat bested a 130 mph boat, I think because the 130 mph boat screwed up and went to fast, which would of course be rewarded and the point of any other race. It will be interesting to see how a race based on this premise can survive, certainly for RD's sake and those interested in participating I hope it does. :thumbup:

Congratulations to boat # 36 for the win :thumbup:

MSum661

Reaction score
Same here, I would like to see the results of all the classes. People are talking about a strategy the winner used to win the overall yet they averaged 65~mph?

That would be the Sterns Boat. I kept tabs on every lap they made the entire race for the Team.
All three drivers had very good to excellent and very consistent lap times. It's really just that simple.
Boat ran perfect and they all drove great. The class they ran was a 11 minute lap times.
They repeated numerous 11 minute and anywhere from .08 to .03 second turn around times without ever once breaking out.
The results were good enough for the 11 minute class Win and because they had the tightest lap times on the clock overall....they won the Overall.

They had an incredible day.

BTW, this is the same Boat and Team of drivers that have entered the Catalina Ski races the last several years with.
Brian Sterns, the Father does the Skiing while Brad his son and Cameron my nephew do the pulling and observing.

Its a Laveycraft and Work Horse of a Boat.

Taboma

Reaction score
OH, I forgot to mention how excited I am learning that a Cole Superhawk scored 2nd place in Div. 1 and I think it was 4th overall ---- Hot Damn, now folks can't laugh at me when I participate in Bench Racing my Nighthawk :D I GOT "RACE CRED" now. :thumbup:
Ole Jim is smiling 'Somewhere', I'm just not sure where "Where" is, depending on which rumor I'm hearing and believing.

Regardless, congratulations to the Cole entrant, you rock dudes :thumbup::bowdown:

Taboma

Reaction score
" They repeated numerous 11 minute and anywhere from .08 to .03 second turn around times without ever once breaking out. "

Can anybody tell me what a Turn Around Time is ?

MSum661

Reaction score
" They repeated numerous 11 minute and anywhere from .08 to .03 second turn around times without ever once breaking out. "

Can anybody tell me what a Turn Around Time is ?

Did I word that wrong..lol! Let me try that again.
They repeated numerous 11 minute and anywhere from .08 to .03 lap times without ever once breaking out.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
That would be the Sterns Boat. I kept tabs on every lap they made the entire race for the Team.
All three drivers had very good to excellent and very consistent lap times. It's really just that simple.
Boat ran perfect and they all drove great. The class they ran was a 11 minute lap times.
They repeated numerous 11 minute and anywhere from .08 to .03 second turn around times without ever once breaking out.
The results were good enough for the 11 minute class Win and because they had the tightest lap times on the clock overall....they won the Overall.

They had an incredible day.

BTW, this is the same Boat and Team of drivers that have entered the Catalina Ski races the last several years with.
Brian Sterns, the Father does the Skiing while Brad his son and Cameron my nephew do the pulling and observing.

Its a Laveycraft and Work Horse of a Boat.

Do they still require the 15 minute pitstops?
Do the boats have transponders?

MSum661

Reaction score

For this race it was two 20 minute pit stops.
I'm not sure about transponders...maybe R.D. can tell you that. I didn't hear anything about it on our end.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Pit stops increased to 20 minutes as the out ramp is now the Bluewater ramp inside the marina. 5 minutes was added assuming the increased travel distance to the pits. Same in ramp as before, the one up river in the pit area.

No transponders that I know of, just a team of scorers at the Cantina, timing and recording each and every lap of each boat.

Lap split times were calculated for every boat and lap making a breakout easy to identify.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
OH, I forgot to mention how excited I am learning that a Cole Superhawk scored 2nd place in Div. 1 and I think it was 4th overall ---- Hot Damn, now folks can't laugh at me when I participate in Bench Racing my Nighthawk :D I GOT "RACE CRED" now. :thumbup:
Ole Jim is smiling 'Somewhere', I'm just not sure where "Where" is, depending on which rumor I'm hearing and believing.

Regardless, congratulations to the Cole entrant, you rock dudes :thumbup::bowdown:

That was Mario from So-cal speed & marine. He knows a lot about Coles because he use to build them for Jim back in the days.
What rumor are you referring to that he past away?

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score

Thanks Zach. I saw that last night but I have been looking for the breakdown by class. I guess that the results might be top secret other than the overall winner. By the way, congratulations to the overall winner. Great job guys. I don't have a clue as to the rules, but these guys sure did and they showed everyone else they way around the river this year, so they definitely deserve the bragging rights!!! Again, good job!:thumbup::bowdown:...

Steve

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I forgot to get them from Dave and Cheryl at the awards Banquet. Cheryl has hem now and is traveling home. I should have them all this morning.

Guess you'd have to be a participant to understand it, I certainly don't. All I can gather is that it's more of a timed, technical race, not even sure race is the proper term, more of a timed rally that goes in circles. Or I suppose more like bracket racing in a circle :rolleyes

What I find extremely odd is, I'm not even sure RD himself understands, nor does he seem to want to ;)

All I know is, an 80 mph boat bested a 130 mph boat, I think because the 130 mph boat screwed up and went to fast, which would of course be rewarded and the point of any other race. It will be interesting to see how a race based on this premise can survive, certainly for RD's sake and those interested in participating I hope it does. :thumbup:

Congratulations to boat # 36 for the win :thumbup:

I will explain how it all works when I finally get finished unloading and get my computer out. I have one more trip to Parker to make to pick up the last load and haul it back to Havasu. That's why I haven't been online is I have been tearing down hauling crap loading unloading etc..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445874687.301762.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445874700.139808.jpg

Scoring is done by Kelly Ireland with a computer program that helps to track the boats. The boats were also scored manually and cross referenced for accuracy.

Thanks Zach. I saw that last night but I have been looking for the breakdown by class. I guess that the results might be top secret other than the overall winner. By the way, congratulations to the overall winner. Great job guys. I don't have a clue as to the rules, but these guys sure did and they showed everyone else they way around the river this year, so they definitely deserve the bragging rights!!! Again, good job!:thumbup::bowdown:...

Steve

I will get them up today Steve.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Readers digest version...

If you are competing for a class win only, it's a horse race. Fastest boat that finishes, wins.

If you are competing for the overall win, it's a chess game...

You qualify at whatever speed you want to qualify at. ie; the fastest speed you feel you can safely run 336 miles at, without blowing up your shit!

During the race, you have to stay under that speed, or your "break out", and are penalized a full lap.

So...

If you run every lap right at your qualifying speed, hit every pit stop exactly at 20 min, don't have any mechanical or driver issues, and run the exact number of laps you were told to run (different lap counts for different boat/speeds), all the boats Should cross the finish line at the exact same time.

The top three spots were within 20 second of each other.

IMHO, I'd say the rules worked out well this year. :thumbup:

I'm sure others will no doubt feel different.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score

If you are competing for a class win only, it's a horse race. Fastest boat that finishes, wins.

You qualify at whatever speed you want to qualify at. ie; the fastest speed you feel you can safely run 336 miles at, without blowing up your shit!

During the race, you have to stay under that speed, or your "break out", and are penalized a full lap.

So...

If you run every lap right at your qualifying speed, hit every pit stop exactly at 20 min, don't have any mechanical or driver issues, and run the exact number of laps you were told to run (different lap counts for different boat/speeds), all the boats Should cross the finish line at the exact same time.

Starting to make sense, Is there a minimum and maximum qualifying speed? I assume the motivation would be to qualify as fast as your parts/setup will allow so you have a chance to win your class and overall?

vdcruiser

Reaction score
So having a fast boat that will go the distance is not an advantage ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So having a fast boat that will go the distance is not an advantage ?

Yes it is.. And at the same time though no it isn't. It's about like playing the home base seat in black jack. You control what the dealer gets next and how it affects the rest of the table.

I will explain it all in about four hours. In the meantime the rules are posted at the top and that is the blue print of this years race. It was slightly changed from last year (we didn't have a % overage this year).

What you guys are discussing has been the subject of intense debate amongst the racers for years (I will explain that as well). It is also something I will be discussing with all 38 teams to get their input on it. Overall though with entries jumping from 26 to 38, and more coming next year I think we are close. We just need some fine tuning for this format.

No complaints from the racers though three years running, just a few suggestions from some to help fine tune so we are on the right track.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

So...

That's a good explanation. Thank you. I didn't really understand some of the rules.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Intense debate is putting it mildly! LoL

Normally there is a Lot of yelling and screaming about the rules.

I haven't heard any static at all yet. That in itself is a huge accomplishment I think. 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Starting to make sense, Is there a minimum and maximum qualifying speed? I assume the motivation would be to qualify as fast as your parts/setup will allow so you have a chance to win your class and overall?

To win both would be tough...

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, racing for a class win, timed endurance rally for the overall. Got it :D

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
It's an attempt make something like the dragboats have where it doesn't require as big of a truckload of $$ to race. At the same time it lets those who want a strait up race with their class do that as well.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I spoke with a racer right after the race finished and he mention the track should be shorter in distance by as much as half. That way the spectators see the boats twise as much, easier on the equipment and safer,in reference to you not at top speed for as long. Less chance of a wrecking.

As a spectator I like this idea. Just my 2cents

Overall I thought it was great race!! And I had blast watching!!

carlski

Reaction score
It's pretty cool the top 3 boats in this years Enduro were all Ski Racers

1. #36 Stern
2. #192 Randy Davis
3. #7 Jeff Barris

all using ski race based boats. It Nice to see the support of the Enduro

Taboma

Reaction score
That was Mario from So-cal speed & marine. He knows a lot about Coles because he use to build them for Jim back in the days.
What rumor are you referring to that he past away?

OH OK, I think I remember Mario from Cole's shop. He's located in Castaic ?

His red and white Superhawk is almost identical gel-wise to my previous 95' S-Hawk, but the return spike on the side is different.

Thanks for that info, nice knowing there's a Cole guy still around.

Regarding the report of Jim's current non-living (RIP) condition: http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-124244.html

Damned if I know, but if we held an "In Honor of Jim Cole" thread, he best stay hidden if he's still around :D

I miss ole Jim, never saw or spoke with him again after "The Incident" :(

If this isn't true, then awesome for him !!!

boatnam2

Reaction score
I could watch that 192 boat run all day, that thing is badass! What happened to the #17 schiada ran all day but seemed to be running slower then normal.

SKIA36

Reaction score
I could watch that 192 boat run all day, that thing is badass! What happened to the #17 schiada ran all day but seemed to be running slower then normal.

Oil leak,

Brian

Reaction score
I spoke with a racer right after the race finished and he mention the track should be shorter in distance by as much as half. That way the spectators see the boats twise as much, easier on the equipment and safer,in reference to you not at top speed for as long. Less chance of a wrecking.

As a spectator I like this idea. Just my 2cents

Overall I thought it was great race!! And I had blast watching!!

I think the longer course is better than the short course. This was my first year watching the long course and comparing the 2, I would vote for long. Water stays much calmer and if the event is going to grow like expected, they will need the extra racing room. If you're somewhere in the middle, 28 laps x2 (up and down) you can see the boats 56 times.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
this type of racing intrigues me.

how much $$$ does it cost to race realistically in one of the lower divisions?

be nice to add this to the bucket list as I love parker......

i suppose setting up the engine to run 336 miles would be the toughest part...

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

New wacker, no longevity concerns. It is everything else that breaks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

The lower classes don't run the full 336. They are given laps and time to offset the handicap. To win this thing like 192 did last year with a fast boat means you went the distance and held it together and had enough strategy to win. It's quite an accomplishment.

Hell to win it at all is a hell of an accomplishment. It means you were the best of 38 on this last Saturday.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
The lower classes don't run the full 336. They are given laps and time to offset the handicap. To win this thing like 192 did last year with a fast boat means you went the distance and held it together and had enough strategy to win. It's quite an accomplishment.

Hell to win it at all is a hell of an accomplishment. It means you were the best of 38 on this last Saturday.

wow! that is very impressive!

thanks for the explanation.

now on to find an endure boat..

Brian

Reaction score

Aside from the obvious expense of a boat and engine. Your fuel bill will be spendy. If you figure 1mpg, you could burn 500 gal between the race, qual, and practice. Even with a pump gas motor that's $1500 just in fuel. Drop in the bucket to some, but I would be looking for a fuel sponsor for sure!

MSum661

Reaction score
No complaints from the racers though three years running, just a few suggestions from some to help fine tune so we are on the right track.

I thought it was great overall.
The only thing I would try and work on is getting something up along the water edge to keep the spectators and crew members back for insurance reasons.
Felt bad for ya working your ass off trying to push the crowd back right before the start of the event. That had to suck.
Looks like a easy fix though for next year.

The Kid running the Shuttle was to cool. Always there when you needed him. :thumbup:

Something else...The awards ceremony was great....just need to step up to a better PA System and add about 75 to 100 more chairs.
That place was packed!!

Thanks for the open bar and good job on keeping it fun on Saturday night.
Your a Character.....that's for sure!!!

530RL

Reaction score
I think the longer course is better than the short course. This was my first year watching the long course and comparing the 2, I would vote for long. Water stays much calmer and if the event is going to grow like expected, they will need the extra racing room. If you're somewhere in the middle, 28 laps x2 (up and down) you can see the boats 56 times.

I've been a patrol boat both when it was run the short course to Cienega Springs and the long course all the way to Pirates. The long course makes for better water, tougher river to control, longer tows if one breaks but I think it makes the overall race better with some nice long sweepers.

Keeping the river clear was the toughest this year of any year I have ever done. My personal view is the main reason, at least on Saturday, was that the ski racing was done at 10:15 on time. The guys in the pontoon boat were sitting right there and pulled the buoys from the short course spot for the ski racing up to Pirates Den immediately. That part was well orchestrated, they were all over it.

Then we waited, cruised around attempting to keep boats out of the ramps and explained to people the race started in 45 minutes at 11:00 and if you wanted to get moving north of Pirates Den, get moving but you are stuck up there until 3:00 when the race was to be over. No problems.

Then 11 came, then 11:15 came, then then public got restless and wanted to go boating. As the delay between 11 and the race start went on, the tougher and tougher it got and the more abusive the public became about not using the river. The race did not start until about 12:15 so we had around 2 hours to keep telling people they are coming any minute. Many stated to me that they thought it was canceled as it was noon and the race was supposed to start at 11:00. Quite frankly, a point I had a hard time arguing with other than, I am just a volunteer.

It would be a lot easier to keep the river clear if the races went off, bang, bang, bang or at least something closer than a two hour delay.

Not complaining, just explaining.

Lastly, the over-all rules are very interesting and as they become more understood, the easier it will be for people with a perfectly good, perfectly stock ski boat that can move along at 65 or so to take an iPad with an internet connection and time the crossing of the finish line within seconds even at no wake speed if they want to get cute.

pixrthis

Reaction score

If it's on your list do it ASAP because it's so much fun you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I bought a Stoker pleasure boat and have run it for two races now. I'm selling or trading it for an outboard race boat of some sort because I'm hooked and can justify a race only boat for this much fun. I've raced some other forms of boat racing and motorcycles and this is more fun than all of them.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
If it's on your list do it ASAP because it's so much fun you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I bought a Stoker pleasure boat and have run it for two races now. I'm selling or trading it for an outboard race boat of some sort because I'm hooked and can justify a race only boat for this much fun. I've raced some other forms of boat racing and motorcycles and this is more fun than all of them.

what would be the most cost effective boat for a beginner? small 18' flatty with an stock ob?

stevel

Reaction score
Is it really a race if a 70 mph boat beats a 100 mph boat and they both have zero problems? Should I get to start the catalina ski race in avalon beacuse I can not ski as fast as todd, Then we I win by a few feet be called the winner? What am i missing. Why dont the just run classes and have class winners and the beat boat at the end of the day be the over all winner. I am not taking away anything from the winner this year it just seems the beast team with the best boat that day should win

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Your missing that it's harder to drive to an exact number than it is to throw a lot of money at the problem and build the fastest boat. The difficulty of hitting that number is what keeps the costs down because anyone can do it.

Now, my money is on a roll bar boat for next year, set the the cruse control and off you go, the wake should keep everyone else off their game. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Is it really a race if a 70 mph boat beats a 100 mph boat and they both have zero problems? Should I get to start the catalina ski race in avalon beacuse I can not ski as fast as todd, Then we I win by a few feet be called the winner? What am i missing. Why dont the just run classes and have class winners and the beat boat at the end of the day be the over all winner. I am not taking away anything from the winner this year it just seems the beast team with the best boat that day should win

Cause then it would turn into a race about $$$$. He who has the biggest bank roll wins. Do you know how NASCAR started? It's a long way from it's roots these days.

The Enduro was created so anyone could enter, and maybe have a shot at the podium. Let's hope that never changes, and even more people compete next year.

:thumbup:

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Cause then it would turn into a race about $$$$. He who has the biggest bank roll wins. Do you know how NASCAR started? It's a long way from it's roots these days.

The Enduro was created so anyone could enter, and maybe have a shot at the podium. Let's hope that never changes, and even more people compete next year.

:thumbup:

I kinda had the same answer typed but since I dont have any involvement other than reading about it, decided to pass. I agree, it's running pretty well right now. ;)

MSum661

Reaction score
If you run every lap right at your qualifying speed, hit every pit stop exactly at 20 min, don't have any mechanical or driver issues, and run the exact number of laps you were told to run .....................................

I've read this twice today and both times it reminded me of the narrator on the Movie "On Any Sunday" talking about when Malcolm Smith won the "6 days Enduro" in Spain. Kinda Cool!

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
A boat set up with a perfect pass would do just fine.

I was thinking Zero Off would hold a little closer. :D. Boshma's got this, he just needs to fill one of those milk trailers with fuel.