WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Engine compartment air intake location opinions pls

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
My engine doctor said the engine is not getting enough cool air flow into the engine compartment. I (literally) just had the interior done. The choices are to add an intake scoop to the engine hatch, add an intake on the rail by the engine compartment or add a vent under the rear bench seat. The vent under the rear bench seems to be the logical choice to me. Here is a picture of the rear area. Thoughts?

new upholstery 4.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My engine doctor said the engine is not getting enough cool air flow into the engine compartment. I (literally) just had the interior done. The choices are to add an intake scoop to the engine hatch, add an intake on the rail by the engine compartment or add a vent under the rear bench seat. The vent under the rear bench seems to be the logical choice to me. Here is a picture of the rear area. Thoughts?

View attachment 994600
I's try to add some vents to Gunnel. They will also help to allow the heat to escape the engine bay when the engine isn't running.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What engine? Do you have swim step grab handle vents?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
What’s on your side panels? Tanks in there bulk heads? Grills like speakers under rear bench that flow into engine area

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Are there side or rear vents now?

Why does he say that? Are you having some issues with hard starting after it gets hot?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
maybe kill 2 birds with one stone and go with a hidden bimini setup? The vents on either end of the hatch to let the top through should get some good air too.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
all kidding aside... take a bilge blower and wire it up backwards so it pushes air into the engine compartment from a cool source. You could take that little coiled duct and run it forward along the gunnel so its sourcing cool air. dont go cutting up the outside of the boat or your nice interior. if that solves your engine problems (im guessing your engine guy is seeing high IAT's?) then you can maybe do something more permanent.

Singleton

Reaction score

View attachment 994600

anything on the back on the bench.
my boat has 2 8” holes behind the rear bench, to allow additional air into the compartment - also helps if the batteries are dead and I need to manually lift hatch

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Current intake is on the transom grabhandle. Says that isn't enough.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I just saw a boat that had a vent in the bottom seat base that added air to the engine compartment and it was flush with the seat near the floor....looked really clean

That's what the boat doc wants to do but as Zigmund pointed out, that will probably add considerable noise to the passenger area.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Are there side or rear vents now?

Why does he say that? Are you having some issues with hard starting after it gets hot?

He's stating the performance of the engine would improve quite a bit with more air flow Rich. The only source I currently have is at the transom.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
That's what the boat doc wants to do but as Zigmund pointed out, that will probably add considerable noise to the passenger area.
put the vent on one side of the seat and the compartment vent on the other side so they don't line up should help the noise. or just turn the radio up.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If possible I would run it with hatch cracked open about on inch or so and see if it makes any difference before you start cutting things up.
Absolutely do this before you go slicing and dicing.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
He's stating the performance of the engine would improve quite a bit with more air flow Rich. The only source I currently have is at the transom.
Current air vent and bilge blower vent View attachment 994632
I thought the mechanic had actual proof that it wasnt running ok. Not that he wasnt happy to see the exact same set-up that is ran on likely thousands of boats with the same engine as yours for YEARS.

You are likely fine. I can just about guarantee that the seat back/pedestal etc are NOT sealed all the way around to the hull and hatch and there is quite a few other areas the engine is pulling air from.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Could you put spacers under the rear seat and raise it up maybe 1/2 to 1 inch ? Provide airflow from underneath ?

BingerFang

Reaction score
I couldn’t imagine the performance gain is worth the hassle.... I would leave it alone unless you’re having issues.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Any full pics of side exterior, as well of the whole interior?

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score

This would be interesting to see on a boat

dribble

Reaction score
That’s all I have on my 496 and it gets plenty of air.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Still wanna see the sides and rear of boat. Be nice to know what you’re dealing with.

If you cannot find here you probably won’t find ones.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Simple vent on front hatch
Feed motor clean cool air
Lsa jets we do due to low engine placement

many 496 engines starve for air , more is better
C04FEB21-9971-4C46-862F-B41CC538EB1C.png

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Any vent on the front is going to increase the noise in the cabin a lot.