WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Engine cooling/heating

Bugginout

Reaction score
Are you guys restricting water flow to keep heat in the engine instead of just running around at low temps?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Oil temp is what is important. I ran 2 inlets and 3 dumps, 2 out the transom and one through a Bassett T to the headers

Bugginout

Reaction score
Oil temp is what is important. I ran 2 inlets and 3 dumps, 2 out the transom and one through a Bassett T to the headers
Yeah I will keep oil temps down for sure. Waiting for pistons to show up for a 565 I am putting together to check piston to bore clearance. Cold cylinder walls and 2618 pistons like a little more wiggle room. Engines like a little more heat than open cooling as well.

BamBam

Reaction score
I'm not saying its the correct way, but I run a thermostat with two holes drilled in it. It has worked in my boat for the past 20 years. Holds most of the water back and lets enough through to cool the pipes and keep the water pump impeller happy until the t-stat opens. It will run with water temps around 180 at cruise. I also run the water through the exhaust manifolds first before the block. My oil cooler is a completely separate water system.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Are you guys restricting water flow to keep heat in the engine instead of just running around at low temps?

Why are you worried about low temps?

It's been proven on the dyno that cooler water temps make horsepower.

110° with headers and 140° with manifolds is plenty.

180°+ is for smog car motors, not a boat.

Oil temps are more important.

Dan'l

Bugginout

Reaction score
Why are you worried about low temps?

It's been proven on the dyno that cooler water temps make horsepower.

110° with headers and 140° with manifolds is plenty.

180°+ is for smog car motors, not a boat.

Oil temps are more important.

Dan'l
I'm thinking about piston to bore clearance with colder cylinders? I'm at 4.600 and I am using mahle 2316 pistons that are specced with .0061 minimum clearance. They will be here Wednesday and I will mic them. I think I am just over thinking it right now.

farmo83

Reaction score
Yes

Long time family friend changed out his old cam driven to a new one(this was 25 years ago though). Wouldn't get over 110. We had Richard Lee(the builder) machine up some restrictor plates to hold water in. Worked great and still runs with them today.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Yes

Long time family friend changed out his old cam driven to a new one(this was 25 years ago though). Wouldn't get over 110. We had Richard Lee(the builder) machine up some restrictor plates to hold water in. Worked great and still runs with them today.
This is what I have been thinking about doing.

poncho

Reaction score
I'm not saying its the correct way, but I run a thermostat with two holes drilled in it. It has worked in my boat for the past 20 years. Holds most of the water back and lets enough through to cool the pipes and keep the water pump impeller happy until the t-stat opens. It will run with water temps around 180 at cruise. I also run the water through the exhaust manifolds first before the block. My oil cooler is a completely separate water system.
My family and I have been doing this for over 40 years, my flat runs 140-150 all day every day.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I run 160 all day long! .... Closed system! :)
Havent looked into building closed system on my vdrive. My Domn8er obviously has closed cooling and it would be beneficial for my aluminum heads on the 565 I have going together for the vdrive.