WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Engine Hatch malfunction on 1999 Essex Vortex

Kiddin Around

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some advice. I took my boat out this weekend and I cannot get my engine hatch up. I hear it click when i press the toggle switch to the up and down position but it does not lift up. Also I notice that my oil pressure gauge flickers when I press the up and down button. I do not have access to pull the pin to manually lift the hatch up. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there anyone that could help me? My boat is in parker at my trailer right now at Emerald Cove.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I know it's cool to have the electric rams. But I must say I sure do like not having to worry with my gas struts.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Did you have someone pull the hatch up at the same time you hit the switch? I’ve have mine get bound up and that worked.

if not you’ll have to pull the seat . Pretty easy to take it out.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some advice. I took my boat out this weekend and I cannot get my engine hatch up. I hear it click when i press the toggle switch to the up and down position but it does not lift up. Also I notice that my oil pressure gauge flickers when I press the up and down button. I do not have access to pull the pin to manually lift the hatch up. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there anyone that could help me? My boat is in parker at my trailer right now at Emerald Cove.

Thank you in advance.

Chris
Is this a new boat to you? hard to imagine Essex not having an access hole behind some of the removable upholstery panels. Just a fyi when mine did that it was the switch.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
This happens on my eagle too. It is usually when them rams completely bottom out. Have you taken the rear seat out recently? If the rear seat has been moved and the rams bottom out rather than resting on the hard hard of the seat, this will happen.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Also, I notice mine would catch air under it at 50mph and above. I moved seat back slightly so it rested on hard part of the rear seat rather than the cushion part and problem solved.

fmo24

Reaction score
On my advantage I pulled pins from hinges at rear of hatch and reached in to pull pins from rams. It was a pain in the ass but only way of accessing when ram died.

chvynhra

Reaction score
On my 01 vortex there is an access hole behind the removable port side seat back cushion. It is probably bound up like previously mentioned.

Kiddin Around

Reaction score
If it is bound up is there away to unbound it? Or do you have to buy a new RAM? Im going to bring a drill with a hole saw....I will look again for an access hole but if I cant find one i think I am going to make one.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Disconnect the pin and put a screwdriver in the hole and spin it few times to unbind it.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
If it is bound up is there away to unbound it? Or do you have to buy a new RAM? Im going to bring a drill with a hole saw....I will look again for an access hole but if I cant find one i think I am going to make one.

Don’t cut holes. Your back seat is more than likely screwed to a seat base with 6 or 8 screws. It’s literally a five minute job. Pull the seat. Reach in. Take the pin or bolt out of the ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I have found on other people's boats there's always easy access with a holesaw through the closest piece of fiberglass. 😃

Icky

Reaction score
As mentioned in post #4 have someone hit the switch while you lift up on it. If it's in a bind this should free it. If not you may have other issues

jaymz

Reaction score
I know it sounds silly, but how’s the charge on your batteries?