WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Engine oil filters. To fill, or not to fill with oil on an installation

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I would start sending samples off to a lab like Blackstone to see what’s going on. They can help you determine the oil condition and probably extend your intervals safely.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
That's interesting. Never would have thought about contaminating from a fresh oil jug.

Happens all the time....

UD

full-15871-20627-pennz2.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Let's use some common sense here kids...

Ever get engine oil on your hands? Of course you have.

Does it come right off? Is it easy to clean up when you spill it? Fuck no! lol

It sticks to everything. It's a mess. It's the exact same way inside your engine. It's stuck to everything in there. There is no such thing as a "dry start"!!

Like @lbhsbz said. It's not going to hurt anything to prefill an oil filter, but it's not going to make your engine last any longer either.

Ever see how much oil comes out, and how fast, when you forget to put the filter back on?? Try it sometime. You'll realize Real quick how fast that filter fills up with oil. Ask me how I know...

:rolleyes::mad:

Wipe standard engine oil on an angle plate 1/2.. Then wipe some oil with Lucas oil stabilizer on the other half.. come back at the end of each day and check.. ;). Think you will
Be surprised at what ya find after day two or three depending..

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wipe standard engine oil on an angle plate 1/2.. Then wipe some oil with Lucas oil stabilizer on the other half.. come back at the end of each day and check.. ;). Think you will

One thing to consider, is that just because oil clings to a pitched flat surface better with an additive, does not mean it will protect the crank and rod journals when a motor is fired up and explosions are forcing the pistons down (and the journal into the bearing) before oil pressure comes up. An old rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 RPM to create that hydrodynamic wedge of oil protecting the bearings and journals from making sweet sweet hot friction love.

It would seem to be helpful, but clinging under zero pressure VS providing actual protection under force may be different stories. It would be great if we could see a test.

1582139770259.png

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

That's a "feel good" test...it provides some data, but mostly useless data. That would be like Michelin testing tires by seeing how they hold up strapped to a tug boat.

Modern oils are so highly engineered for specific purposes for a reason. Pouring any kind of additive on top of that is just like using a complete wrong oil in any given engine.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
One thing to consider, is that just because oil clings to a pitched flat surface better with an additive, does not mean it will protect the crank and rod journals when a motor is fired up and explosions are forcing the pistons down (and the journal into the bearing) before oil pressure comes up. An old rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 RPM to create that hydrodynamic wedge of oil protecting the bearings and journals from making sweet sweet hot friction love.

It would seem to be helpful, but clinging under zero pressure VS providing actual protection under force may be different stories. It would be great if we could see a test.

View attachment 846365
That's a "feel good" test...it provides some data, but mostly useless data. That would be like Michelin testing tires by seeing how they hold up strapped to a tug boat.

Modern oils are so highly engineered for specific purposes for a reason. Pouring any kind of additive on top of that is just like using a complete wrong oil in any given engine.

How dare you guys disparage the Lucas...

Blasphemy.

:oops:;)

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I believe the OE oil and OE filter are the best. If you leave the OE oil and filter on your engine, you never have to change it and never have to worry about prefilling shit.

😁😁

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I believe the OE oil and OE filter are the best. If you leave the OE oil and filter on your engine, you never have to change it and never have to worry about prefilling shit.

[emoji16][emoji16]

Yup.
And if you don’t change it long enough, the viscosity will thicken all on its own.
Winning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Always prefill or pre oil (drill) new engines get Lucas breakin and never cheap oil ... if your not paying north of 6 bucks a quart your probably buying cheap oil

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

😁😁
Had to tow a rent-a-center one ton van, no start condition. No records of oil changes. ~54,000 miles on original factory Ford installed oil (as far as we could tell) With the drain plug out, overnight, had a half dollar sized oil 'puddle' in the drain pan. 5.4 triton motor.​
Dan'l​

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If I'm dry firing a new assembly, pre-fill and drill/kill ign to prime till I see pressure reading on the gauge.

It's probably overkill in reality, since I use a shit load of assembly lube when I put them together anyhow....

That old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" always sticks with me.

Modern systems are very specific, dry sump motors especially. If it's a vertical filter I do it out of habit mostly...it's a feel-good thing.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Always prefill or pre oil (drill) new engines get Lucas breakin and never cheap oil ... if your not paying north of 6 bucks a quart your probably buying cheap oil
I buy 5 gallons for $55. $2.75 a quart. You have to match the oil to the application. Expensive rotella aerates with my hydraulic injectors and it smells wiped out at 5k miles. Engine runs smoother and oil is just black at 5k miles with Travellers oil from TSC.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I buy 5 gallons for $55. $2.75 a quart. You have to match the oil to the application. Expensive rotella aerates with my hydraulic injectors and it smells wiped out at 5k miles. Engine runs smoother and oil is just black at 5k miles with Travellers oil from TSC.

According to the inteweb, you're buying cheap oil...

You should be adding Lucus Cost Additive to improve your standing on this board.

I hope you learned something today.

rrrr

Reaction score
The real question is, does a car battery discharge when you set it down on concrete?😁

There are still many people that'll argue about this subject for hours. Most in that category don't even know the origin of the claim, or (if it was true), what process would allow the battery to discharge by placing it on a concrete slab.

Your ad here

Reaction score
According to the inteweb, you're buying cheap oil...

You should be adding Lucus Cost Additive to improve your standing on this board.

I hope you learned something today.
I am buying cheap oil. Compare it to other brands. Was just at autozone and 2.5 gallons of Delo 400 is $67. So yeah the stuff I buy is cheap, cost wise. I dont buy into the additives or high mileage oils. Oil is a cleaner and lubricant that wears with use and needs changing. Been running regular nothing special oil in my truck. Change it every 5k miles and still have the original HEUI injectors with 446K miles.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am buying cheap oil. Compare it to other brands. Was just at autozone and 2.5 gallons of Delo 400 is $67. So yeah the stuff I buy is cheap, cost wise. I dont buy into the additives or high mileage oils. Oil is a cleaner and lubricant that wears with use and needs changing. Been running regular nothing special oil in my truck. Change it every 5k miles and still have the original HEUI injectors with 446K miles.

It was joke bro...

I was making fun of someone, but it certainly was not you!!! ;)

boatnam2

Reaction score
What about if your running a 3/4 race cam, don't want that shit to end up 5/8!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
There are still many people that'll argue about this subject for hours. Most in that category don't even know the origin of the claim, or (if it was true), what process would allow the battery to discharge by placing it on a concrete slab.
I had a friend in high school that got fired from Wards Auto Center when he left a customers battery on the concrete without a board under it. Myself, I don't want a pussy battery that can't spend the night on a cold concrete floor like some of us have, after coming home drunk and the wife wouldn't let us in the house so we have to sleep in the garage but, lets not go there again.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I had a friend in high school that got fired from Wards Auto Center when he left a customers battery on the concrete without a board under it. Myself, I don't want a pussy battery that can't spend the night on a cold concrete floor like some of us have, after coming home drunk and the wife wouldn't let us in the house so we have to sleep in the garage but, lets not go there again.

I had a white deka for 12 years that was taken out of the boat in November..put in my basement on the concrete floor and put back in the boat in may. A charger might have touched that battery twice.

rrrr

Reaction score
Unless HST4ME's battery was made in the middle of the 20th century, storing it on concrete has no effect on its ability to hold a charge.

For you youngsters out there, the canard that batteries would discharge if placed on concrete goes back well over sixty years, when battery cases were made from steel covered with materials containing natural rubber compounds.

The rubber based compounds would develop microscopic cracks, and the small amount of leaked electrolyte was conductive. When the battery was placed on dirty concrete floors or dirt garage floors, the leakage current would discharge the battery over time. Placing the battery on wood, which is obviously non-conductive, would prevent the discharge.

There are still those who swear modern batteries are susceptible to this condition, but plastic cases solved the issue in the late fifties and early sixties.

Now get off my lawn.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
A lot of Mercruiser stuff is mounted upside down. 🤷🏼‍♂️ This thread reminds me of the pre oilers people used to have. I’d say no to pre filling an oil filter. There’s no load at start up….

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Always prefill our filters (except vertical or horizontal in which case we crank with ignition disabled for OP ) We "drill pre" oil all new builds , we soak lifters as well . And now all builds get a special breakin oil for initial start up/run in . We changed this recently after a very long discussion/conference Josh and I had with Comp cams/Edelbrock executive Tech VP

EDIT : Ask your self (knowing that the purpose of the oil is to create a barrier/lubricate between rotating metal parts , why would one EVER want to "dry run" two expensive metal parts against each other in that "moment" just prior to the oil pump filling the filter ???

Attachments

• luc-10631_az_xl.jpg
    luc-10631_az_xl.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Rotella just plain stinks. Its a fact based on my own nose. Its also currently stupid expensive right now.
We do run the Lucas 15-40 high zinc in my old 2004 Cummins Ram. I run 5w-40 Valvoline in my 2018 Cummins Ram.

Sometimes I prefill the filters and sometimes I dont. In the 2018 you have to go through the fender well with the 1 qt. filter on an angle with a special screw in cap so why bother dealing with that cap bullshit twice.

I have Blackstone lab reports on my 2018 for every oil change except the last one. Skipped the $35 bucks because they are always very similar. Oil changed every 10k even though the manual says 15k. The 2004 is yearly because my son rides his Harley daily and only puts a couple k on it a year.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So this thread established that the outside of a filter is the dirty side and the inside is the clean side.

So the next topic for debate: Do you filter the oil hot out of the engine or after it’s gone through the cooler?

530RL

Reaction score
Many modern cars primarily with dry sump engines or vertical and/or horizontal filter placements, but not all, have ignition disconnect when cranking the engine with the throttle fully depressed.

In those cases filling the filter is no longer necessary after a filter change or when sitting for extended times as those clever engineers designed a solution.

But that does unfortunately require reading the manual. 😬

Last edited:

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’m just stoked to have a dead and buried thread pop back up that ive started. Still gonna pre fill. It’s all about the four R’s according to the vid…