WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ENGINE PLACEMENT HELP PLEASE

aamcustoms

Reaction score
Well i have an engine placement question. I have a 65 hallett fb, it has a 428 fe, i have done a complete resto on this boat, 9 years have gone by, and its comming close, but need you gurus help. It has a 12* box, old style cassale in and out, and had a 12* strut. I moved the box ahead 6 inches and angled the box to get a true 8* shaft angle, i lengthened the shaft and built a new strut, i can just fit a 12 inch prop in it now.... I plan on using a 12x16 3 blade, will be 650 engine hp. And 250 shot of spray... My goal is to have it as fast as it can be.. Lol here are some before measurements and after.. Now i need to know where the engine should sit...

Before me moving the box...

Front of motor to transom= 27"
transom to cl of box was =76"
strut base to transom=20"
strut base to end of cav plate=27''
end of strut barrel to end of cav plate=24.5''
end of propshaft to end of cav plate=20.25''
cav plate stickout from trans=7''
approx shaft length =53.250''
12* box and strut

new measurements...

Front of motor to transom...... ?? Need help here ??
Transom to cl of box=82''
end of strut barrel to end of cav plate=25''
approx shaft length =58.750''
12* box mounted on a 8* angle with 8* shaft angle

the rails are adjustable, and what in mot shure is everybody claims to have box to transom distance of around 90 '' give or take, and engine to transom about 34-36'', im shure i can move the engint up to that 36'' mark but theres no waythe box can be moved anyfurther ahead... So im a little confused to my best way to approach this... Thanks guys, please steer me straight!. Aaron

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nice first post. Welcome. :champagne:

Someone should be along shortly.

While you wait for assistance, did you know that we have rules here??

:rules

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Hopefully Racey or the Prime Marine guys will see this as they'll probably be the ones with the correct answers to this. As for me, I just wanna see pics of it. :thumbsup:D:D

aamcustoms

Reaction score
i would like to mention, that im thankful for the oportunity to be a member on RDP, its an honnor, i guess my first post didnt show up.. i prolly didnt hit submit, :boobeyes:.. so tell me about the rules you speek of :cool:

aamcustoms

Reaction score
im havin a problem, i want to post pics, but, i go to manage attatchments, i go to browse, then i click on the pics and then click upload, then it doesnt doo nothing? help!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
im havin a problem, i want to post pics, but, i go to manage attatchments, i go to browse, then i click on the pics and then click upload, then it doesnt doo nothing? help!

you appear to be following the rules. :thumbsup

sometimes the uploads go slow. make the pics 1024x768, and then they wont take that long.

pics of your boat and your female are required. you might not get a response until you post em. Thanks for playing along.

:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Pics may be too big. I resize mine to 800x600 and they load just fine.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Well i have an engine placement question. I have a 65 hallett fb, it has a 428 fe, i have done a complete resto on this boat, 9 years have gone by, and its comming close, but need you gurus help. It has a 12* box, old style cassale in and out, and had a 12* strut. I moved the box ahead 6 inches and angled the box to get a true 8* shaft angle, i lengthened the shaft and built a new strut, i can just fit a 12 inch prop in it now.... I plan on using a 12x16 3 blade, will be 650 engine hp. And 250 shot of spray... My goal is to have it as fast as it can be.. Lol here are some before measurements and after.. Now i need to know where the engine should sit...

12* box and strut

new measurements...

the rails are adjustable, and what in mot shure is everybody claims to have box to transom distance of around 90 '' give or take, and engine to transom about 34-36'', im shure i can move the engint up to that 36'' mark but theres no waythe box can be moved anyfurther ahead... So im a little confused to my best way to approach this... Thanks guys, please steer me straight!. Aaron

Call the guys at Eddies inboard marine. :thumbsup

(520) 298-9322

attachment.php

aamcustoms

Reaction score
hey.. not fair, you guyr are forgetting im a newbie.. haha how do i resize the pics... duh!

aamcustoms

Reaction score
heres some pics...

Attachments

• P1020161.jpg
    P1020161.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 246
  • SDC13256.jpg
    SDC13256.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 244
  • SDC13258.jpg
    SDC13258.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 226
  • SDC12450 - Copy.jpg
    SDC12450 - Copy.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 231
  • SDC13251.jpg
    SDC13251.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 228
  • SDC13252.jpg
    SDC13252.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 227
  • SDC12660.jpg
    SDC12660.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 221
  • SDC13266.jpg
    SDC13266.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 231
  • SDC13264.jpg
    SDC13264.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 223
  • SDC12687.jpg
    SDC12687.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Dave Sammons

Reaction score

12* box and strut

new measurements...

Before the aforementioned "professionals" chime in...for what it's worth, I would recommend the following...
First off...nice job on the restoration!! Always glad to see another old flatty saved:D:D
At this point the most important measurement you have listed is the measurement from the strut barrel to the end of the cavitation plates...25 inches.
Remember that the prop placement is critical for the balance of the boat.
Now that you have put a shallower strut on the boat, you have decreased the lift at the bow and increased the lift at the transom, especially by leaving the prop placement in about the same location...if you had put an 8degree strut on the boat and moved it forward 4 to 5 inches then you would have got the bow lift...however, given where you are on the project, the rocker in that boat, the weight of the boat and engine, the driver placement and saddle tanks...
I'd put that engine in at 30 inches from the inside of the transom to the rear of the block...
FYI...most circle race flats that are unblown have a strut that is up at just over 30 inches and the engine placed up around 34 inches...remember too that most of them have very little rocker unlike your boat and weigh quite a bit less.
Remember the trick is to balance the boat...if the weight is too far forward then you will roll the thing over the rocker and the boat will struggle to set, weight too far back and the boat will want to carry the nose and you will have ride the plate(important note...I cannot tell if you have an override pedal. this is a must with the kind if horsepower you have to safely set the boat. Try and get at least an inch and a half of travel at the end of the plate.) to get the boat to set at speed.
I am sure you will get alot of other opinions and they will all have merit. Just remember it takes time and effort to make a boat handle properly you may end up hacking the end of the strut off before this is over!(and we haven't even started talking props!!!), so pick a point to start and have fun making it perfect!
Please do not hesitate to PM me if I can help!
Good Luck!
Dave

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Nice job on the resto !!
Love an o'l FE in a flat!

Last edited: