WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Escalade/Denali question

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
No the condenser's fins were so close it let no air through it to the radiator, and since it was holding the A/C system heat too (not condensing), it was a mess all around. It was all 'new Napa replacement parts', and I took the condenser out and put in a new GM one. (Cindy @ Bradley ordered it for me) Holding the Napa up to the light, the design flaw was obvious. Holding the new GM up to the light, I could see my hand behind it, and light through all of it. This thing has run right on the thermostat since it was new (147000) and will go to 210 (F) towing up a hill. The fan clutch (with or without towel) works correctly and the A/C is now about 80% efficient. When I get time I'll replace the 'Napa compressor', and then my A/c will get cold under 3500 RPMs. (like it was since new) I don't tow anything with my ESV, even though it's AWD, just never had to.

Sold Honda bought Hondo

Reaction score
No the condenser's fins were so close it let no air through it to the radiator, and since it was holding the A/C system heat too (not condensing), it was a mess all around. It was all 'new Napa replacement parts', and I took the condenser out and put in a new GM one. (Cindy @ Bradley ordered it for me) Holding the Napa up to the light, the design flaw was obvious. Holding the new GM up to the light, I could see my hand behind it, and light through all of it. This thing has run right on the thermostat since it was new (147000) and will go to 210 (F) towing up a hill. The fan clutch (with or without towel) works correctly and the A/C is now about 80% efficient. When I get time I'll replace the 'Napa compressor', and then my A/c will get cold under 3500 RPMs. (like it was since new) I don't tow anything with my ESV, even though it's AWD, just never had to.
Aftermarket condenser? That sounds about right.The 3500 rpm deal, that's just when the vehicle isn't moving, correct? RWD vehicles will loose a little cool when they arn't moving. FWD GM stuff uses a different compressor, it stays engaged most of the time and the ac coolant fan keeps the low side from going to low by letting the high side get hotter.AC compressor is kinda simple, they suck and make pressure, they can't leak compression internally. The only problems with aftermarket compressors that i have noticed is an occasionally one will be a little noisy. Something else i noticed. High speed blower fan on the 94 pushes a lot more air than the 95. r-134 isn't as efficent as r-12 so they slow the air down to get the temp close to the same so the difference is not as noticeable...until you get to havasu on a hot day.The 95 would take a mile or 2 to cool the inside down, the 94 will have me backing down the blower speed by the time i make the first stop sign. Only 147K? lots of miles left in it. My 95 had a crate motor and trans @240k and the 94 got a fresh trans @200k. 241K on the original motor, uses a qt oil every 2k and still runs a little better than the 95 but a little worse mileage. The 95 made salt lake on 3/4 tank and 18.6 mpg.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I didn't read every post so not sure if you got you answer or not. I have a 2006 Silverado SS with the 6.0L with 3.73 gears and I pulling around 4700lbs. I have a 160* thermostat with a Superchips Flashpaq handheld programmer. There is a setting for 180* in there for the fans to kick on. I never go above 200* up hills doing 80mph with the a/c going. There is two different 6.0L engines(LQ4 and LQ9) if you have the LQ4 it might work a little harder cause the HP is a little lower.

Snprhed

Reaction score
So after nobody posted for the first few days this was up I hadnt checked it again. I had no idea this is where the infamous towel incident came from (great video though Steve and RD).

On a side note I have electric fans :D somehow that makes the towel thing even funnier to me...

anyway I feel like the if it aint overheating nothings wrong crowd is prob right. It runs warmer than usual, however doesnt overheat. Im also the one who had the trailer tire blow on sunday when I was leaving and it idled for about 1 1/2 hours with an outside temp around 110. It didnt even get up to 210 on the gauge.

I have designs on getting a bigger boat so I plan on getting a upgrading the coolant system, and maybe trying a programmer and a cold air intake. Steve if you wouldnt mind I'd like to a little help with that endeavor, as long as its safe :rotflmao:

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
So after nobody posted for the first few days this was up I hadnt checked it again. I had no idea this is where the infamous towel incident came from (great video though Steve and RD).

On a side note I have electric fans :D somehow that makes the towel thing even funnier to me...

anyway I feel like the if it aint overheating nothings wrong crowd is prob right. It runs warmer than usual, however doesnt overheat. Im also the one who had the trailer tire blow on sunday when I was leaving and it idled for about 1 1/2 hours with an outside temp around 110. It didnt even get up to 210 on the gauge.

I have designs on getting a bigger boat so I plan on getting a upgrading the coolant system, and maybe trying a programmer and a cold air intake. Steve if you wouldnt mind I'd like to a little help with that endeavor, as long as its safe :rotflmao:
hello, I basically have the same setup as you, I have a yukon xl denali and I tow somewhere around 5k. when its like 110 deg the temp goes like 3/4 of the way up mostly up a grade but I've held it at about 55-60 mph pulling that grade out of needles with 110-115 deg heat and no overheating, you should be ok but stay away from the red, i have since upgraded the trans cooler and replaced the thermostat with a low temp but its not very effective unless you have the pcm reprogrammed so the fans come on at the lower temp