WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Escape from the Heatwave; Dana Point!

Backlash

Reaction score
Good morning! We took a break, loaded up the big boys and a truckload of gear and hopped on a boat out of Dana Point!

20200821_062739.jpg

Wish us luck! 😎

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Welcome... if you are fishing best of luck.... if you are Catalina bound, enjoy. Looks crowded on webcams today. I guess this is a temp relief for you guys huh. We consider it very warm and sticky with no ac on the coast so everyones a bit grumpy. All relative I guess.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! Today was just a local 3/4 day trip for the boys. Two of them had never been on a cattle boat in CA, so we had to ease them into this just to make sure they enjoyed it. And we all did! 👍

We hooked and landed a lot of small calico bass along the kelp, but that was pretty much it. Between the five of us, we brought home filets from two legal bass and one bonita. That was it.
Everything else we caught was undersize.

So, while we had a great day together and enjoyed being out in the fresh air, the fishing itself was not what I had hoped for. I was expecting larger fish and more than just opportunities at herds of baby calico bass. Not one yellowtail was hooked by anyone on our boat. 🙄

We tried everything from flylining baits on the surface to dropping baits down to the bottom. People threw some irons, I threw several plastics, fished suspended baits in the water column, etc. Nothing was working.

But, we had a good time and everyone made it home safely. That's really all that matters!

20200821_103424.jpg

20200821_142830.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
During the afternoon, the captain announced the water temperature was 79°. That's probably the warmest I've ever seen the water along the coast between Dana and Trestles. I'm still shocked the yellows didn't show up and we didnt bag any larger fish. 🤷‍♂️

All in all, it was a great day and one we hope to repeat again in the future. Thank you for following along and for admiring our monster 10" calico bass! Hahaaha!!! 🤣

20200821_143744.jpg

20200821_170442.jpg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Good morning! We took a break, loaded up the big boys and a truckload of gear and hopped on a boat out of Dana Point!

View attachment 913432

Wish us luck! 😎

Check out the old guy! I wouldn't have realized he just told me to fuck off until I was halfway home. :confused:

Backlash

Reaction score
Hahaaa!! We actually took that picture of the boys so I could send it to their mother in Florida. I have to take every opportunity that I can to give my older sister shit! 🤣👍