WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Even my dog is afraid of Rice Rd....

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
... well kinda. Caden is a miniature Labradoodle.

Pirate's Caden and us resize.jpg

He is becoming a super good boat dog, and he usually travels really well. But every time we leave the Landing to come home to California he starts shaking like a leaf on 17 Mile Rd. We noticed it first when heading over to the AZ side, to pick the boat up from Nordic. We were getting a cover made and this was in March. He's perfect driving out, and that is around the same time of day if that makes any difference. Now, every time we leave, about halfway out to the 95 he starts shaking and panting, and it doesn't stop until around Indio. My son was with us last night, and he Googled and found something about dogs being happier at a vacation house and dreading going home (totally get that!). Apparently, they get left alone more at home (he does) and it freaks them out. Any other ideas? We really feel for the little dude. He is such a good dog, very clued into everything, so it sucks to see him like that, and it must suck for him too.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dogs are truly smarter than people. The dog knows where the fun is, and wants the fun place to be "home". The only solution is to quit your job, and full time boat. Doctors and creditors may disagree, but it's what's best for the dog:D

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
dumb question... does he really ride on the back of the boat like that? He's cute, I have no input on why he shakes, maybe just a nervous on long car rides sort.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
OK, to straighten the swim-step bit out. He seeks it because it is cool on his belly (junk actually). We don't let him ride there underway unless at idle. Wife hates it, but I let him for a minute or two sometimes. He's a good swimmer, but yes I understand the CO concern. Two minutes, not enclosed with underwater pipes, I'm thinking we're short of a complete doxxing threshold.

Ho's perfect on long car rides except this particular one, when we leave the Landing. He's done Vegas, the AZ side, all kinds of short rides etc. etc. etc. 5 Minutes after we leave to go home from the Landing he goes into this panic.

gqchris

Reaction score
I knew you were gonna catch crap for the Swim Step cruising! I think its great, but I come from a family where the dogs loved cruising in the back of the truck beds. And I don't currently own a dog in this P.C. world now!

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
just like you and Sheree , Hes detoxing / withdrawing from the weekend.... same shit happens to me coming and going, Usually around Tower Bar.

HAHAHAHHA....

Maestro

Reaction score
My pup would get motion sickness and vomit when rolling through rice road. She has gotten better after a few trips.

Last edited:

j-rod

Reaction score
We have taken our cat to the river a couple of times and when we take rice road she will start foaming at the mouth and we were getting worried about her health, I believe it's the whip to dos that make her stomach drop and that I might have the throttle down. Since then If we bring her I will take the 40 and I haven't had the same results even going the same speed.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
same shit happens to me coming and going, Usually around Tower Bar.
LMAO! We actually have stopped there twice to walk him around and see if that will calm him down.

Last edited:

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Maybe he's afraid you're going to take the Rubicon 4-wheeling off of Rice road again on the way home and almost get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Saw the boat but missed you guys out there this weekend

500bbc

Reaction score
I forgot to turn off the gas and water this weekend and when we turned around (10 minutes out) our one dog went from bummed to tail wagging happy when we turned around.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We would put boat towels in an ice chest and let them get wet, then place them on the deck or engine hatch for our Newfoundland. Worked out well, when she wanted it.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Our dog likes car/truck rides a lot. She grew up at the Landing, and really seems to like it there. No car sickness. Thank god...

River Runnin

Reaction score
Our dogs were always Ancy when traveling, but now that we put them in a kennel (in the back seat) they are very calm, and sleep most of the trip!

Last edited:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. To be clear, he ONLY shakes and pants and seems to panic when we leave the Landing. All other car rides, he's damn near perfect, no matter the length. It's like clockwork, top off at the Hardware Store, good; 25 MPH section, good; a few miles up 17 mile road, it starts. If we stop at Tower Bar he's good when he runs around. Back in the car, head West, starts again. East he's good.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Our friends have a Labradoodle. I swear it’s a person in a dog suit.
Yep. My wife and I have had four Labs between us among a few other dogs. All have been amazing. I had a Yellow Lab who was perfect: frizbee, swims forever, sat in dining room chairs at the table like a person, etc. etc. etc. This dog (Caden) blows our mind every day. He knows EVERYTHING. He flippin' counts people while their swimming, and if he can't find one he runs around in the boat until he gets a view and completed count. Only then will he lie down and relax. We are stupid in love with this dog.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Is there a chance he's playing off your emotions, you may be depressed or grumpy because you're having to travel back home and the dog picks up on it and gets nervous? They are more perceptive than we think, and we probably all think they're very perceptive.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Hey Kevin! Had no idea you were on here....Its Sean from H in H. Funny story...hope you and Chere are doing good.

Last edited:

Lil'Moni77

Reaction score
I'm going to side with Outboardrick...
A lot of dogs anxiety is fed off of their owners emotions. If you are worried he's going to get ansy at a certain area... the reality might be that you are... and they instinctively respond and react.
You might want to try relaxing yourself at those destinations... OR take another route to see how it goes?

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Just gonna drop this here so maybe somebody spells Chere's name right

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
You might want to try relaxing yourself at those destinations... OR take another route to see how it goes?
LOL :p That's just it, there is no other route except water or dirt. Good thoughts, but I don't actually think it's us because the first time it happened we were on our way around to LHC. We weren't heading home. In fact I as all pumped up to see my new cover. Dunno. It's baffling.

The only other thought I've had is at Thanksgiving we went up towards Tower Bar, pulled in there and then followed some people into the desert where a guy shoots off a bowling ball canon. He didn't like that! But he doesn't freak at Tower Bar, and usually not before there, so don't really think that's it, but still could be.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Hey Kevin! Had no idea you were on here....Its Sean from H in H. Funny story...hope you and Chere are doing good.
Yeah we're great. Thanks for saying hey!! Hopefully we see you out there sometime. Is Havasu your usual stomping ground?

wzuber

Reaction score
Sounds like typical "the parties over" blues to me. My wife gets it too but usually starts the morning of drive home day..lol
Try some CBD oil for dogs and c if that helps ease his anxiety...good lookin pup, boat, wife, life etc.....good luck.

Last edited:

Lumpy

Reaction score
Yeah we're great. Thanks for saying hey!! Hopefully we see you out there sometime. Is Havasu your usual stomping ground?

I'm usually there twice a year...will be there at the end of July 25-29 for our seventh annual "Father Son" trip then back again in September for H in H. Pretty sure I got your
number...Ill drop you a call or text...buy you and Chere a drink if your around.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is there a chance he's playing off your emotions, you may be depressed or grumpy because you're having to travel back home and the dog picks up on it and gets nervous? They are more perceptive than we think, and we probably all think they're very perceptive.
Our dog gets all antsy when we are prepping to leave in either direction. She's just happy to be with us. She'll even be happy hopping into the truck when I'm just moving it around the yard.