WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

EVINRUDE 250 HO-BLOWN UP 2X UNDER WARRANTY

garygbnj

Reaction score
2009 model: one piston melter. BRP replaced "dressed engine, exhaust and changed to an m2 gearcase (had low hrs). So it is now a 2013 engine:rod thru the block at 103 hrs. Under warranty got a new "dressed engine". Is this engine just a bad design or am I just under a dark cloud? It is on a 24' Manitou tritoon that does about 56 mph on a cold day. I had thought of looking for more power but I am afraid the engine, without mods, will blow again. BRP only gave me a one year extension on my warranty. Does not sound like they have a lot of faith in their product.

BigSteve

Reaction score
2009 model: one piston melter. BRP replaced "dressed engine, exhaust and changed to an m2 gearcase (had low hrs). So it is now a 2013 engine:rod thru the block at 103 hrs. Under warranty got a new "dressed engine". Is this engine just a bad design or am I just under a dark cloud? It is on a 24' Manitou tritoon that does about 56 mph on a cold day. I had thought of looking for more power but I am afraid the engine, without mods, will blow again. BRP only gave me a one year extension on my warranty. Does not sound like they have a lot of faith in their product.

Sounds, like a injector plugged up.

The #1 problem is bad fuel.

1. Pump off any old fuel !

2. Always use fresh fuel and add a 150-1 mix of 2 stroke oil. I use Mercury premium plus two stroke oil
it will help keep the injector clean

3. Use a fuel conditioner, like Sta-Bil in the fuel or better use AV gas before storing the motor.
AV gas is very stable fuel. It can remain in the lines, pump and injectors without gumming up.

hallett21

Reaction score

2. Always use fresh fuel and add a 150-1 mix of 2 stroke oil. I use Mercury premium plus two stroke oil

3. Use a fuel conditioner, like Sta-Bil in the fuel or better use AV gas before storing the motor.
AV gas is very stable fuel. It can remain in the lines, pump and injectors without gumming up.

Do you do this on all of your outboards or just evinrudes?

To the OP IMO the more an outboard is run the happier it is. I try to make sure the boat is getting started and ran at least once a month. Keeps fuel circulation and you are adding good gas regularly.

GregG

Reaction score
Agree, you have to run 'em and not just at idle. Do that and you will have no issues with that motor. Many have logged 1500 hours of hard use. Sorry for your mishap.

BigSteve

Reaction score
Do you do this on all of your outboards or just evinrudes?

To the OP IMO the more an outboard is run the happier it is. I try to make sure the boat is getting started and ran at least once a month. Keeps fuel circulation and you are adding good gas regularly.

Yes, I add 150-1 mix. To my Mercury, Evinrude and Yamaha motors, Mercury Premium plus oil has additives that help keep the injectors clean and working freely.

Use a remote electric fuel pump to pump off fuel in the boats tanks.

On our drag 2.5 it gets fresh race gas everytime we go out.
We run it only a couple times a year. So I use a set of old plugs and flood the engine with fogging oil. I pull the fuel rail hose and drain it. I made a fitting to back fill the fuel rail with 2 stroke oil and I cycle the injectors by pushing in the key for cold start.

I don't like fuel over a month old in my 300xs powered boats.
I pump the old fuel off into my truck.

If you have a two stroke you need to run them :thumbup:

GregG

Reaction score
Do you use Merc "Premium Plus" 2 stroke oil exclusively? Even for Yamaha and BRP motors?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Good advice. [emoji106]

BigSteve

Reaction score
Do you use Merc "Premium Plus" 2 stroke oil exclusively? Even for Yamaha and BRP motors?

Yes, the Church buys a 55 gal drum to lower the costs. Its a very good oil for engines that spin less than 7k and are oil injected. It more about the additive package in the oil.

A 7-11k rpm motor, Red Line oil running gas. Klotz it mixes with gas and a alky / N20 power adder.

We will use up the BRP/ Yamaha oil they are both good oils and convert to Mercury Premium plus.

I don't like to mix oils so we drain the oil tanks and fill with fresh oil.

Check with your local bass boat fishermans specials, many bass boat shop will fill your container for the low :thumbup:

Our local boat shop sells at drum cost per gal.

GregG

Reaction score
Yes, the Church buys a 55 gal drum to lower the costs. Its a very good oil for engines that spin less than 7k and are oil injected. It more about the additive package in the oil.

A 7-11k rpm motor, Red Line oil or Klotz it mixes with gas and a alky / N20 power adder.

We will use up the BRP/ Yamaha oil they are both good oils and convert to Mercury Premium plus.

I don't like to mix oils so we drain the oil tanks and fill with fresh oil.

Check with your local bass boat fishermans specials, many bass boat shop will fill your container for the low :thumbup:

Our local boat shop sells at drum cost per gal.

Thanks a lot, interesting feedback from a man with huge experience. I have a 2004 Merc 2.5 225X 15", a 2007 Yamaha HPDI Vmax 250 20", and a 2002 Evinrude 250 DFI 25". Would be great to just use the same all on all of them :thumbup:

BigSteve

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, interesting feedback from a man with huge experience. I have a 2004 Merc 2.5 225X 15", a 2007 Yamaha HPDI Vmax 250 20", and a 2002 Evinrude 250 DFI 25". Would be great to just use the same all on all of them :thumbup:

Thats a sweet lil Merc motor !

We just did a Yamaha 300 HPDI build using bolt on packages from
HydroTec the Yamaha Guru's.
What a difference :D

The stock steel reeds and reed stop plates plug up the intake tract and if a steel pedal cracks and goes into the cylinder its real bad news

Wayne@ HydroTec has reeds from the same material the Mercury 300xs are using stamped for the Yamaha pattern, they work much better and you remove the reed stop and gain intake volume.

HydroTec, provides great service support and their in house work is spot on.
They make kits in performance stages, with all the parts, gaskets, bolts and nuts needed.

Be sure and change all the fuel filters on the Yamaha HPDI it should have 4 filters.

One retro fit 10 micron spin on filter in the boat, two under the motor cowl external
and the important one inside the fuel vapor container on the side of the motor.

GregG

Reaction score
I keep trying to find a second 225X motor but no luck. I find Promax motors but never an "X". I would take a 20" or 15" if you ever run across one please let me know. Thanks on the callout on the (4) HPDI fuel filters and the reeds. Have to look into both. :thumbsup

garygbnj

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The boat is run 1x per week or more during the season. Sta-bil or similar is used for storage in the winter. Is there a reasonable way to achieve more hp and still retain reliability on a 2014 Evinrude 250 ho etec?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
No there isn't. BRP has the ETECs set up so you can't get into the programming and make compensations for compression or porting changes. The 250 HO is a great running motor, though. Sorry to see you have had so many problems.