WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Excursion V10

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
It is time to dispose of the Failblazer with only 69k miles:eek. Yes, one old lady owner and dealer maintained so IDK why this thing is falling apart:hmm. The latest in this epic fail is the fuel tank is leaking at the filler and the GM recall excludes our model for some odd reason:rolleyes. It is about a $2k repair to replace the tank and the fuel pump at the dealer. I have JB welded it and will either sell it with full disclosure of the repair or take it to CARMAX. I'm done with sinking money into this thing.:thumbsdown I just spent $1000 on other misc shit and it still needs a water pump and a rear drive shaft:(

My budget is limited to about $6k-8k max and I can get a decent V10 excursion for that price here. Looking for a 4x4 and under 125k miles. What should I look for on these when shopping? Any typical problems to look for? I frequently see these with 200k miles, still running original engine and trans so I figure I should be able to get some good use out of it.

Thanks!

rrrr

Reaction score
My V10 4X4 has been great but it only has 70K on the clock. The 11 MPG is a problem but I only use it to tow the boat. :D

If you find one that's nice except for the seat covers, these guys:

http://www.theseatshop.com/

make OEM quality replacements at a reasonable price.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
My V10 4X4 has been great but it only has 70K on the clock. The 11 MPG is a problem but I only use it to tow the boat. :D

If you find one that's nice except for the seat covers, these guys:

http://www.theseatshop.com/

make OEM quality replacements at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the link! I know the mpg is shit but I don't drive too much anymore. Should work out fine for our limited driving:thumbup:

rrrr

Reaction score
There hasn't been a better vehicle built to haul a bunch of people and all of their stuff. :thumbup:

HBCraig

Reaction score
I had a V10 Excursion and I loved it. I wish I still had it. You will shoot a spark plug out, but the fix is pretty easy.

I put an intake and exhaust on mine and it got exactly 1MPG better gas mileage.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I had a V10 Excursion and I loved it. I wish I still had it. You will shoot a spark plug out, but the fix is pretty easy.

I put an intake and exhaust on mine and it got exactly 1MPG better gas mileage.

Spark plug shooting out? Do the threads fail?

C-2

Reaction score
We have a 2003 4X4 Eddie Bauer edition with 125K miles; still running original plugs, not a hiccup. The auto-engage for 4X4 (or whatever you call it, the switch on the dash) does not work, the hubs need to be manually locked, that's the only issue we've had, and it's not an issue since we rarely use the 4X4. That and the paint on the painted bumper is chipping off.

On the plug issue, they changed/fixed the heads on motors made after November 2002. I researched our engine serial number and our motor was made in November 2002 (just my luck), but thus far, no problems so I think we got a good one.

10.3 miles per gallon around the city on BFG All Terrains, could use shocks and the front end/ball joints replaced...but we only use it to get our horse feed, so I'm not in a hurry to get the work done.

Good luck John :)

C-2

Reaction score
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/ Message board with great info.

Also, our motor is a ''pinger", thing pings when under load or at certain RPM's while in OD. Guys on teh Ford Excursion forums have been obsessed with the issue, some have tried to fix it and have spent thousands doing so. Ford's position is - don't worry about it.

If you lay off the throttle then jump back on it, the pinging stops, no big deal and it becomes second nature when driving the truck.

Faceaz

Reaction score
Spark plug shooting out? Do the threads fail?

Check the years for that. Don't know when they started making the Excursion, but my old 2000 F250 V10 never popped a plug & I sold it with 180k. If I remember right, the pre-2000's had fewer threads than the 2000 & up. Seems most people had the problem after changing the plugs & not installing per the spec torque.

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
I just changed my plugs on my excursion V-10. Just tq. To proper pounds and no anti seize. The plugs had 97,000 miles on them. They looked good to go another 50,000. I think the factory gap was .54 and they were at .56

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Check the years for that. Don't know when they started making the Excursion, but my old 2000 F250 V10 never popped a plug & I sold it with 180k. If I remember right, the pre-2000's had fewer threads than the 2000 & up. Seems most people had the problem after changing the plugs & not installing per the spec torque.

X2. I have a 2000 excursion and had plugs replaced at 100,000. It has 125,000 on it now and has never spit a plug out like everyone claims. Mines been great..except for the fuel pump I had to have replaced a couple weeks ago.

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
Same with the fuel pump. Last week. Make sure the clear coat is in good condition. The roof is getting a couple burn spots.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. How involved is the fuel pump on these? Big job?

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
It's a big 44 gallon tank. Between the rear axle and rear bumper. 4 bolts and it drops down. I had a half tank still when it went out. I could've done it , but I didn't want to do it in my garage. Something about gas fumes freaks me out. I had it installed at the shop.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
It's a big 44 gallon tank. Between the rear axle and rear bumper. 4 bolts and it drops down. I had a half tank still when it went out. I could've done it , but I didn't want to do it in my garage. Something about gas fumes freaks me out. I had it installed at the shop.

How much was the job if you don't mind me asking?

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
When you're shopping, ask if/when the ball joints were done. 100-125k is usually about the time for them to go.

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
ta3e7amu.jpg

Crawled under the truck this morning to check their work and this is what I found. Bolt was finger tight. I hate having other people work on my shit!

lebel409

Reaction score
I had a 2000 ford SD...Same deal without the covered space.

You can buy a fuel pump only...Around a hundred...or the "Fuel pump assembly" $250, The FPA is just the plastic housing and the fuel float. wait until the tank is near dry and it's not a big deal. A local shop wanted $800 (4 for the fuel pump and 4 for labor)...cost me a 12 pack and a saturday afternoon.

'99 and up 2V engines had a few cylinders with only 2 1/2 threads holding the spark plug in and a torque spec of 11 or 17 lbs (I forget, but WTF?). They can come loose after 25K, 100K, or never. IF it's coming out it sounds like a valve ticking...right before it destroys the COP. They have kits that have more threads ands JB weld to hold it together. The newer 3V engine apparently have an opposite problem, the threads are way tight and don't want to let go, often breaking the plug in the head...but better fuel economy and HP...