WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Excursion vs F-250 Crew Cab

U4ia

Reaction score
I have a 2000 F-250 Crew Cab with cap with the 7.3 diesel that we mostly use to drive all our stuff 800 miles oneway to Bullfrog on Lake Powell, also to tow our boat once in a while. The problem is that our Lariat version of this chassis is leaving me wornout at the end of the day. Just too damn noisy for a 12+ hour day! Is an Excursion any quieter? It is mostly tire roar and wind noise, plus the diesel clatter. I have Michelin MS tires, not aggressive at all, and all the door and window seals are either in good shape or new. We need something big since the back seats are removed for our dogs and we fill the back of the truck with genset, gear, fuel, propane, and three Yeti coolers. No way would an Expedition or Suburban work for us.

Enen

Reaction score
I remember reading on the Ford truck forums where guys put medical tubing in the door seals to help them seal better. That might be an inexpensive option to try.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I was going to say to use that round filler foam from Home Depot for cracks

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Yeah couldn't you go to an audio shop and have DynaMat or something like that thrown in everywhere to make better soundproofing. Probably cheaper and certainly less work than selling and buying another vehicle. Also you get to keep your vehicle you know is already realiable rather than pick up someones used Excursion.

alohajeff

Reaction score
Google Dynamat or Brown Bread sound deadening.

Have a trusted stereo shop do the install.

Night and day difference if installed correctly.

Aloha

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Rip out the interior and dyna mat the entire thing. That will quiet it down alot.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Lol. 3 people same time same suggestions. Lol

wash11

Reaction score
My 04 6.0 Excursion Limited was WAY quieter than my 04 F-350 Lariat with the same 6.0. Never thought about why though. Both had Michelin's.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Maybe the factory added more noise cancelling material to the Excursion sinc ethey are a people hauler.

My 04 6.0 Excursion Limited was WAY quieter than my 04 F-350 Lariat with the same 6.0. Never thought about why though. Both had Michelin's.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I have a 2000 F-250 Crew Cab with cap with the 7.3 diesel that we mostly use to drive all our stuff 800 miles oneway to Bullfrog on Lake Powell, also to tow our boat once in a while. The problem is that our Lariat version of this chassis is leaving me wornout at the end of the day. Just too damn noisy for a 12+ hour day! Is an Excursion any quieter? It is mostly tire roar and wind noise, plus the diesel clatter. I have Michelin MS tires, not aggressive at all, and all the door and window seals are either in good shape or new. We need something big since the back seats are removed for our dogs and we fill the back of the truck with genset, gear, fuel, propane, and three Yeti coolers. No way would an Expedition or Suburban work for us.

I had a 2000 Excurison 7.3 stock height with Michelin's and drove it all over the place, from the river up to tahoe with a decent load and the noise level was no problem. I have a '02 Ex 7.3 now with 33" grabbers and drove it 760 miles to New Mexico packed it to full capacity and drove it back. (11.5 hrs each way). noise level both ways even with a packed load was very comfortable. I think they are insulated heavier than the trucks especially since the cabin is fully insulated as well seems like it would cut the noise level down a lot.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Take some masking tape a seal up the door edges, then drive it and see if it is any quieter. That is how i found some bad weather strip.