WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Excuses to get out of work.........just when you thought you heard it all

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I poop on company time

I have a pile of good ones from when I ran a construction firm in HI but 3 stick out.

Kawika..guy is by far one of the best granite/quartz fabricators I've ever met..but he is the biggest common sense idiot you will ever meet. Needed specific instructions for everything with zero details left out..regardless of how common sense they may be. His g/f aka baby momma was a control freak (full on Tita if you know what that means). He got paid every Friday like everyone else...but never had any money on him (she had it). Guy legit called in more than once stuck on the side of H1 out of freaking gas...because he forgot to get money from her to put gas, and he thought he could make it. He works for a buddy of mine now..they gave him a work truck with a gas card..solved that.

Jerry..I couldn't say his legal name if I tried...Micro guy was about 60 and did basic labor for us. He rode the bus from Waianae every day to town (for reference that's a 90-120min ride depending on traffic each way). He got picked up from our storage warehouse by whatever guys he was working with that day.. He pooped on company time every single day that I can think of...never called in sick once though. Had to have a discussion with him about dropping a duke in a 17 million dollar home though... :oops: 🤦‍♂️

At least 10 call in's a year were "my car/moped got stolen"

At least that many in the winter time, hey boss can we go late bc xxx beach is crankin this morning (I got those texts usually around 5 am for a 7am start).

Wayne called in roughly 50% of all Mondays. He worked his ass off though and always made up the hours..we just stoped scheduling him for stuff on most Mondays unless it was something I specifically needed him for. He liked the green bottles and poke a bit much Pau Hana..miss that guy, he had the best pidgin one liners, and took no shit from anyone. If a client or whatever talked down to him, he just packed up.

Labor market it rough in Hawaii so you have to deal with some shit in the 20-35$ wage rage.
When was this?
My dad did a bunch of tiltups and concrete work on Oahu.

“The beech is cranking this morning” 😂
He heard that a few times.

Shady

Reaction score
When I ran a crew I was amazed at how many people got a call form the court system at 5:00AM and suddenly had to appear in court that day. Seemed like the courts made that call on Mondays most often.

Nordie

Reaction score
We have a set of twins that work for where I work now. I think they're on grandma 6 or 7, they always pass away on Fridays or Mondays.

Nordie

Reaction score
There's always the call offs that you can respect lol...
20210723_100210.jpg

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
When I call in I just say I’m using a sick day. I don’t even make an excuse.

Guess it’s different between salary and hourly folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I've been a foreman for the last 7 years. Here is some of these excuses I have gotten...

1. Can't make it in today got to get my oil changed.

2. Hey boss I'm not going to make it my car is full of roaches.

3. I ate a donut and half of my face is swollen.

4. My truck was towed because I was transporting illegals.

5. I'm still drunk (at least he was honestq

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
When I call in I just say I’m using a sick day. I don’t even make an excuse.

Guess it’s different between salary and hourly folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tell my guys the same. Don't make an excuse that you might have to back up.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
When was this?
My dad did a bunch of tiltups and concrete work on Oahu.

“The beech is cranking this morning” 😂
He heard that a few times.
Up until 2019. If we decide to move back for sure, I'd expect some of these same characters will return to work for me and continue the soap opera lol

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Another one I just recalled that a guy called in for:

"I'm scared to drive in the rain"

oldschool

Reaction score
We had a guy get a DUI on his way to work, he had just been released FROM jail for a DUI. Got to appreciate the determination.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Update: Kid was supposed to work on Sunday, OT just like everyone else. Get a message on my phone from him. "Says he has not had to work 8 hour days for a long time, so he says he wants to stay home so that he can rest and be ready for work on Monday (today). He was here this morning, but never came back from his first break @ 9am. My other Guys said he was walking down the road. See ya!!!

farmo83

Reaction score
Co worker: " Hey man I'm going to jail, tell Greg(our boss at the time) I won't be into work for a while"

Most honest response I've ever gotten for sure.

stonehenge

Reaction score
Had this tiny afro-american girl called in sick, said she was in jail for assaulting a nurse. Evidently she was at the hospital visiting her grandma, visiting hours were over and she wasn't pleased about this, so she beat up the nurse. She ended up quitting in leu of being fired.

Years later the union called me stating she was coerced into quitting and I was a racist. I asked the union rep if she knew why she quit originally. She didn't. So I told her. I also informed her that I was the one who hired her originally. Never heard another fucking word on that one.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Years ago guys were sitting down taking morning break, our lock up was in a parking garage behind a mall off the Strip. One of my guys jumps up and runs to his car, then starts up and hauls ass out. I'm like WTF is going on? He calls me few minutes later said he shit his pants and has to go change. Never trust a Fart!