WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Exiting the discovery stage into the treatment stage.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It'll be one month to the day of Colon cancer discovery that my Chemo starts.
I decided to take a bullet for research and join a new cancer treatment method and study.

Normally I'd be under radiation and chemo then surgery and more chemo.

This study offers new types of Chemo for three months, then surgery, then more chemo, then much less radiation.
It's a nine month program that so far has shown to be a HUGE improvement over past methods of treatment, but still not yet approved by the FDA and other powers that be. This study may just get it all approved.

No placebos, no Steve Jobs style holistic remedies,, just hot loads of new chemo that has antibodies and poison to kill what's killing me. I'm going to be a really tired MoFo for the next 9 months. Doctor says my hair may not fall out,, we'll see. The tumor may be shrunk within 4 weeks of "baseline start of chemo."

I'm dual insured with Blue Cross Premium Health insurance and United Premium Health insurance and they both have balked on covering the 10% of the cost. The astronomical 90% cost is picked up by the study grant from the drug mfg's.
So,, I'll pick up the cost myself,, and sue the insurance companies later,, the law reads they have to cover it.
Yeah they have to cover it, but if they keep balking on payment when time is of the essence,, they figure you'll just go away or die in the meantime.
In this time I've changed from a stage 2 to a stage 3 condition.

I caught the ass-end of getting into this new treatment, last patient on the train and the door has slammed shut and the adventure begins.

I've started selling off some of the toys and rolling stock so if I tap out the wife will have an easier time unloading what's left.
Made arangements with our boat dealer to handle the boat and our RV dealer to handle the 5'r sales.

That doesn't mean I don't have a positive outlook,, it's a peace of mind move.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think it is early to be selling the rolling stock, but I understand wanting to handle everything just in case. We are pulling for you Ross! How is the family doing overall?

Reactions: TPC

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Best of luck to you bud. I'm pulling for you for sure.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. keep up the fight.

shueman

Reaction score
Your one amazing person Ross...God is on your side...:cool

milkmoney

Reaction score
You are in my thoughts and your family also.

Hang tough Ross.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
WOW! :(
Prayers sent
Stay strong, were all pulling for you.

FUCK CANCER !

Mardonzi

Pull!! Bnag!! Loss!!
Reaction score
Back in 1992, my mom was living in Dallas, while the rest of the family was back in Utah. One day I get a phone call from her saying that she got really sick and was in the hospital there. Come to find out, she hadn't been feeling well and had all the signs and symptoms of Colon cancer, but hadn't bothered going to the hospital till she passed out at work one day. Well,,, they tested and low and behold,,, Stage 3 colon cancer at the age of 45.
She went through the chemo and radiation, as well as removal of a bunch of internal stuff. Had the abdominal mesh put in,, all the fun stuff that was the normal treatment protocol 20+ years ago..

Fast forward 22 years.. She's still here, and has been cancer free since the 90's. Figure with the advances in medical technology, this treatment being one of them, you'll pull through fine. Positive outlook and support definitely helps.

Prayers with you!

Boat211

Reaction score
Thank god for people like you who are willing to take a chance on something new that can benifit everyone. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the updates. Keep fighting this, and I'm sure that we can figure out a boat ride to get you out to the island when you are ready. :thumbup:

dribble

Reaction score
Back in 1992, my mom was living in Dallas, while the rest of the family was back in Utah. One day I get a phone call from her saying that she got really sick and was in the hospital there. Come to find out, she hadn't been feeling well and had all the signs and symptoms of Colon cancer, but hadn't bothered going to the hospital till she passed out at work one day. Well,,, they tested and low and behold,,, Stage 3 colon cancer at the age of 45.
She went through the chemo and radiation, as well as removal of a bunch of internal stuff. Had the abdominal mesh put in,, all the fun stuff that was the normal treatment protocol 20+ years ago..

Fast forward 22 years.. She's still here, and has been cancer free since the 90's. Figure with the advances in medical technology, this treatment being one of them, you'll pull through fine. Positive outlook and support definitely helps.

Prayers with you!

Great story.

westair

Reaction score
Good on the new treatment ...I know those studies spare no expense, pretty much monitor you at all times.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
You have my very best wishes, Ross.

I have been thinking about you since I read your first post in the Offshore forum. The update is really appreciated.

Give 'em Hell, my friend.

- Tom :)

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
You're in our family's thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting TPC. You're definitely an inspiration to us. We're all pulling for ya, bud!

Reactions: TBI

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Sounds like a good move, doctors are always improving treatment. Good luck, positive thoughts are with you.:)

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
You got this buddy! :thumbsup

cole_skier

Reaction score
Good luck; our thoughts and prayers are with you. My wife went through the big C 22 years ago and is doing great and cancer free. It can be beat.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Can always get more toys! You sound like a responsible family man, you have my thoughts and prayers. NOW GO KICK THAT SHITS ASS!!!!!!!!

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
TPC, I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years. My positive thoughts are with you and your family. My mom went through several bouts of cancer over the years, and one thing that kept her going was a good attitude. You can do the same.

Not to change the subject, how is your son doing?? Last I read you guys were going to try a gluten free diet for him. How has that worked for him?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
All positive vibes for your health Ross. ....keep your eyes on the finish line and beat this disease.[emoji106]

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Positive thoughts and prayers to you!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The treatment sounds like a possible advancement over the norm. Debs HER2 condition was also a candidate for an experimental testing routine that the vendor adsorbed the cost. It allowed a detailed breakdown of the bio-chemistry stuff far beyond typical HER2 tests, and actually led to a less invasive chemo package than would have been used with her type of condition.

These things can work, and you CAN beat this shit!!!:thumbup::thumbup::bowdown::bowdown:

FUCK CANCER!!:grumble:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Ross if you wouldn't mind could you give us a brief explanation of the symptoms you had leading into this? I've been plaqued with stomach issues for years and am having a nasty little spell right now. I've already had 2 colonoscopies the first at around 25 years old and again at 30. I'm 37 now and thinking I may be getting another soon. Hoping it's just a stomach flu or IBS flair up but it's always in the back of my head that it could be worse. Wishing you the best bud.

X Hoser

Reaction score
TPC

I'm the one that posted my moms advise, "a bad lesson is better than good advise". I hope all of RDP heeds your advise from your lesson and get things checked out! I did and fortunately all was clear. (They didn't even find Jimmy Hoffa LOL!).

Fight on Brother, and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ross.

I mentioned your situation update to JBB and he wanted me to let you know that he is thinking of you and sends his best wishes. Unfortunately, he can't tell you himself because he is too busy working on a grudge that should be done about the time Dave stops smoking and drinking.

Of course, Ann and I continue to send our most positive thoughts and wishes.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Trailer Park Casanova... paving the way in cancer treatment. Is there anything he can't do?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Ross...
It has taken me a couple of days to figure out how to respond to this, and I still haven't nailed it down.
I am a Believer. You know that. Since you posted this you've been in my thoughts, and my prayers. Something tells me that your mission here isn't over yet; that this is going to be one of those world-class life changing events that will have you in the fight of your life, but it is a fight you can, and will win.
You have one heck of a support group here, and with your wife and the strength of her love and support coupled with her ability to "get things done" in the world you are now in I just see you winning.
Please keep us up to speed, and please give your wife a hug for me and Cindy.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
best wishes Ross

I think cancer is tangling with the wrong guy. Give em hell Ross

C-2

Reaction score
You are a man with a plan; you never disappoint. :thumbsup

Give it hell :)

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keeping you and your family in my prayers. Stay strong and fight hard.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Thank God you got into that treatment program. Insurance companies suck azz.

Best of luck. You can do this! [emoji106] [emoji106]

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Praying for you Ross. Keep your eye on the prize and no matter what keep a positive attitude about recovery. You got this!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good luck in your treatment Ross. Keep up your spirit and that will definitely help ya.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It'll be one month to the day of Colon cancer discovery that my Chemo starts.
I decided to take a bullet for research and join a new cancer treatment method and study.

Normally I'd be under radiation and chemo then surgery and more chemo.

This study offers new types of Chemo for three months, then surgery, then more chemo, then much less radiation.
It's a nine month program that so far has shown to be a HUGE improvement over past methods of treatment, but still not yet approved by the FDA and other powers that be. This study may just get it all approved.

No placebos, no Steve Jobs style holistic remedies,, just hot loads of new chemo that has antibodies and poison to kill what's killing me. I'm going to be a really tired MoFo for the next 9 months. Doctor says my hair may not fall out,, we'll see. The tumor may be shrunk within 4 weeks of "baseline start of chemo."

I'm dual insured with Blue Cross Premium Health insurance and United Premium Health insurance and they both have balked on covering the 10% of the cost. The astronomical 90% cost is picked up by the study grant from the drug mfg's.
So,, I'll pick up the cost myself,, and sue the insurance companies later,, the law reads they have to cover it.
Yeah they have to cover it, but if they keep balking on payment when time is of the essence,, they figure you'll just go away or die in the meantime.
In this time I've changed from a stage 2 to a stage 3 condition.

I caught the ass-end of getting into this new treatment, last patient on the train and the door has slammed shut and the adventure begins.

I've started selling off some of the toys and rolling stock so if I tap out the wife will have an easier time unloading what's left.
Made arangements with our boat dealer to handle the boat and our RV dealer to handle the 5'r sales.

That doesn't mean I don't have a positive outlook,, it's a peace of mind move.

Keep fighting. You can beat it.

I had a kidney with RCC removed 2 years ago- caught it early enough to miss chemo - dodged a bullett.

You should have a max yearly cap and although you may cut a 10K check everything after that should be covered.

Steve Jobs died fighting cancer holistically.

Let me know if you want to chat about anything or just need a pick up from a fellow boater/ cancer patient- Here for you.

Fuck Cancer

UD

PVHCA

Reaction score
Best of luck to you and your family, do whatever you feel is right and makes you more at ease through this BS.

FIGHT ON BROTHER!!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Prayers sent...stay positive and stay strong and you will come out of this winning the battle.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Prayers for you Ross.

I expect you to get through this just like the other difficulties you have had to face over your life time. :thumbsup

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408391151.251022.jpg

dezertrider

Reaction score
Hey TPC, I just had my 2 year CT Scan from testicular cancer. I had two treatment options that both required surgery first. One had several rounds of radiation with a ton of side effects. The other was one round of chemo. It was a experimental program that was just approved 2 years ago. So far it's working. I will no fore sure later this week. I hope your experimental program works well. Good luck