WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Explain the cost of pontoons

Dirtbag

Reaction score
First not knockin the toon crowd. These new boats like the thread RD just started that boat is bad ass I would love to have one!

But how on gods green earth is it worth 250k?

The engines are the engines and have a cost i get it. No issue there.

But how are they getting 125k for these things? what is the margin?

3 aluminium tin canst covered with a steel floor costs what?
The interior isnt DCB or Cobra nice its all pretty bland if you ask me.
The framework costs how much?
The amenities cost what?
soundsystems boat companies make a ton on....

I just dont understand the ridiculous price except the cost of engines.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
First not knockin the toon crowd. These new boats like the thread RD just started that boat is bad ass I would love to have one!

But how on gods green earth is it worth 250k?

The engines are the engines and have a cost i get it. No issue there.

But how are they getting 125k for these things? what is the margin?

3 aluminium tin canst covered with a steel floor costs what?
The interior isnt DCB or Cobra nice its all pretty bland if you ask me.
The framework costs how much?
The amenities cost what?
soundsystems boat companies make a ton on....

I just dont understand the ridiculous price except the cost of engines.
Profit at a time when they are in high demand.
I've noticed all the old junk pontoons that were sitting in peoples yards for years have mostly disappeared.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I agree, a new mid level brand base model is like 60-70k. Blows my mind. Can get so much more for the money IMO. But to each there own.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Big margins, low lead times, and assembly line production.

No magic here Dirtbag. People just want to get on the water, not wait for a boat to be built. Most are only going to keep it for a handful of years, and aren’t as attached to them as they would be with a custom built boat to their exact specs.

A Pontoon rides ok, has plenty of storage, can tube in a pinch, bring all your friends and family and have nearly a full kitchen.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The margins are ridiculous, that is why custom boat companies like Advantage are selling toons too.

Climbed around a few and for the most part they are rigged like crap. Also, since when is wood and aluminum so expensive.

It is a hard pass from me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
As long as people are willing to pay these ridiculous prices for them, they will continue to build and sell them. I honestly don't get it. I think it's just a fad and it will die off eventually. People will be moving on to the next great thing, selling these toons for pennies on the dollar. Definitely not for me.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
The aluminum rolls and computer welding cost somewhere about $2700. Three is another 1400. The frame is another $1000, plus decking.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/boat-parts/pontoon-logs

So $6000 in materials for the logs frame and deck. The rest is upholstery, fence and rigging. Engine is $20K for 200hp. Probably another $15K for upholdery/furniture/carpet and rigging.

6K + 20K + 15K = $50K in materials. $75K in profit on a $125K rigged and ready boat.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
As long as people are willing to pay these ridiculous prices for them, they will continue to build and sell them. I honestly don't get it. I think it's just a fad and it will die off eventually. People will be moving on to the next great thing, selling these toons for pennies on the dollar. Definitely not for me.

Agreed. People are trying to fight me to the death in the other thread over this same sentiment. LOL

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The aluminum rolls and computer welding cost somewhere about $2700. Three is another 1400. The frame is another $1000, plus decking.

So $6000 in materials for the logs frame and deck. The rest is upholstery, fence and rigging. Engine is $20K for 200hp. Probably another $15K for upholdery/furniture/carpet and rigging.

6K + 20K + 15K = $50K in materials. $75K in profit on a $125K rigged and ready boat.

Why do you think Warren Buffett is in this and other outdoor product spaces. :)

TCHB

Reaction score
I have always thought boats are way out there on the expense line. You get a stock deck boat with a RV engine that costs $160K. You can buy a RV with the same engine, but with a transmission, air conditioning, full house interior, generator, brakes windows and the list goes on for less than a typical 70mph deck boat. I guess if the market will pay then why not.

I have also wondered why the Havasu Boat guys have not built a custom toon boat to compete with the Indiana people.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

It's costing more than 15k for upholstery/furniture/carpet and rigging. It's 8-10k just to have 24'-28' boat reupholstered.

PlanB

Reaction score
I have also wondered why the Havasu Boat guys have not built a custom toon boat to compete with the Indiana people.

I have talked about this for a while. A company that would build a true custom pontoon would be nice, especially with the money the toons are selling for now.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have always thought boats are way out there on the expense line. You get a stock deck boat with a RV engine that costs $160K. You can buy a RV with the same engine, but with a transmission, air conditioning, full house interior, generator, brakes windows and the list goes on for less than a typical 70mph deck boat. I guess if the market will pay then why not.

I met a Havasu local interior guy last weekend. He had an immaculate pontoon I guessed was 3-5 years old, that was actually 25 years old.

He had a BBQ, wet bar, fridge, ice maker, microwave, hidden generator, and convertible beds for camping on the thing. It was bad ass! Literally a floating RV for entertaining.

I suspect rehabbing older pontoons will be a big business in the next several years

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It's costing more than 15k for upholstery/furniture/carpet and rigging. It's 8-10k just to have 24'-28' boat reupholstered.

I think you would be surprised. Watch the video its mass produced and they are controlling the cost of material and labor.

I guarantee the workers in that Indiana plant aren't making 50K a year slamming plywood into boats.

Labor at a custom small shop is the biggest expense. Everyone needs $100 an hour these days.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

You're paying RETAIL...they are buying wholesale, in quantity.

When I was doing upholstery/canvas on the side it was materials x 2.5. Now, it's more like materials x 3.5. I was buying materials wholesale from Manart-Hirsch.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

True, but keep in mind these are mass produced by the factory or suppliers. They are doing it quick and cheap on a huge scale and passing the savings to no one except shareholders. :)

rvrrun

Reaction score
I have talked about this for a while. A company that would build a true custom pontoon would be nice, especially with the money the toons are selling for now.
We've been shopping for toons and can't find exactly what we want. We also haven't found anything that makes me swoon over it like we do with our current boat. They are just a very comfortable "tool" to get a bunch of people on the water with a huge amount of shade. I was thinking a custom toon builder could work.

...I don't want to try it, though.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The margins are ridiculous, that is why custom boat companies like Advantage are selling toons too.

Climbed around a few and for the most part they are rigged like crap. Also, since when is wood and aluminum so expensive.

It is a hard pass from me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Wait until your cookie grabbers and rug rats come of age!!! Hell by then you'll need 2 of them.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We've been shopping for toons and can't find exactly what we want. We also haven't found anything that makes me swoon over it like we do with our current boat. They are just a very comfortable "tool" to get a bunch of people on the water with a huge amount of shade. I was thinking a custom toon builder could work.

...I don't want to try it, though.
Purely from a curiosity standpoint, what type of things would a custom pontoon shopper look for? What would bridge the gap between a custom builder like Nordic, and a batch builder like most of the 'toons? I have never owned a new boat, and surely never ordered one. So, kind of wondering is it a matter of power options, interior luxury...stripper poles...what options would bring true baller money to pontoons?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

Don't forget the trailer and electronics and biminis and covers and ski tows
With those numbers it will make 2ff happy with his $60k toon
Makes me happy while looking to upgrade ours
There's a lot of toons in the $60 to $80k range with 250 to 300 hp that are super comfy and fast

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
Purely from a curiosity standpoint, what type of things would a custom pontoon shopper look for? What would bridge the gap between a custom builder like Nordic, and a batch builder like most of the 'toons? I have never owned a new boat, and surely never ordered one. So, kind of wondering is it a matter of power options, interior luxury...stripper poles...what options would bring true baller money to pontoons?
The biggest things are color combinations and interior layout/options. None we have looked at a great color-wize. Some we like the layout, but there are no folding armrests or the cupholders are in the wrong place. After looking at a bunch of them, there is always a compromise that a custom builder could remedy. A big one is the vinyl “sea grass” flooring. Its hotter than hell on the feet and I would gladly pay to upgrade to Sea Dek, but nobody offers it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I agree

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Don’t quote me on it but I believe pontoons are the biggest selling Genentech in new boat sales now. These guys are cranking out a couple hundred a month!!

PlanB

Reaction score
The biggest things are color combinations and interior layout/options. None we have looked at a great color-wize. Some we like the layout, but there are no folding armrests or the cupholders are in the wrong place. After looking at a bunch of them, there is always a compromise that a custom builder could remedy. A big one is the vinyl “sea grass” flooring. Its hotter than hell on the feet and I would gladly pay to upgrade to Sea Dek, but nobody offers it.

A guy on the Bennington owners forum just did Sea Dek on the swim step areas (front and back). Came out bitchen, but they had to remove the sea grass and transition the Sea Deck into the boat with aluminum strips.

Being able to pick everything on the boat just like when we had our DCB's built would be nice. Unlimited options.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Lets start the bidding....
My 2015 avalon 25ft ambassador. Rear loungers.
300 verado. 90 hours. Big audio.
Excellent condition.

Can i get a 100,000, 100 100.
101?
Be on the water by saturday if you have cash!

DLC

Reaction score
3B415357-8824-41EC-BE7C-D6F385BCA6A2.png

I don’t see to many toons listed for sale @ $125,000 with a 200 hp

You can get the deck with out motor for $60 -65,000 then motor is anywhere up to $35,000, plus trailer $6 to 10,000 and then any other add ones....
Everything adds up.

65132822-DFE0-4DF9-BE98-AEDDD748D5A1.jpeg

So there is a $43,000 spread from a plain Jane to a sweet semi top of the line toon. $90,000 with eliminator trailer and a white Merc 350 motor dbl Bimini. Etc etc. this doesn’t seem way out of line for a 26 ft toon.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I agree, a new mid level brand base model is like 60-70k. Blows my mind. Can get so much more for the money IMO. But to each there own.
We didn't pay anywhere near that for our new toon from Cactus. It works for us and all that have been on it or have seen it think it's very nice.
TOON 001.JPG
TOON 002.JPG

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm sure with the proper backing ($$$), a company could buy a set number of pontoons as an unfinished product. Much the same way an up-fitter buys cab and chassis' from a manufacturer. That could cut lead time. If someone was smart enough, they could design sub assemblies in a modular fashion, allowing exterior colors and upholstery to be finished as needed. For Christ's sake, it's a rectangle, only so many sub-assemblies are going to be needed to give you a fair amount of variations. Exterior colors could be chosen, and applied much in the same fashion as cabinet finishing...much quicker and easier than a gel buildup or custom paint on a hull.

It takes money to make money...or at least that's what I've heard. If anyone would like to step up...:D

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

With the pontoons from Great Lakes Skipper like posted above...and one of them motorhomes...possibilities are endless

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
100%-150% Markup is the reason pontoons are $125K.

It’s pretty easy to figure out:
$30K - Mercury 400R
$7K - Trailer
$5K Toons & Floor
$15K Interior
$5K Labor
————————-
$62K Mfg Cost
$125K MSRP

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
100%-150% Markup is the reason pontoons are $125K.

It’s pretty easy to figure out:
$30K - Mercury 400R
$7K - Trailer
$5K Toons & Floor
$15K Interior
$5K Labor
————————-
$62K Mfg Cost
$125K MSRP

And you get the thing for $85k

racetrash

Reaction score
Well our pontoon is around a 1990 Tracker Bass Buggy, 25 HP , great for Parker. $3500 for it with trailer..and I know when we pull up to Sundance, Foxes, Roadrunner, I will have from 1 to 4 youngsters run up and grab ropes so I don't get near the nice boats...nice!

checkrd past

Reaction score
I got the pontoon boat magazine for a couple of years and the and their market is back east. Most of them are going with composite materials and such. Pull out decking and fire pits in the floor.Its really over the top back there

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Cost of materials is shared by the parent companies that also build rv's. No brainer.