WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

External Hydraulic steering

28Eliminator

Reaction score
When is it really necessary?

What dictates the need? Is it just HP or the prop size? Boat design, Cat vs VHull…

At what point do you refuse to get in a boat because you feel it’s unsafe?

I made a comment to a guy that is pushing 1400 hp, and boat has the stock bravo steering… he says he doesn’t need it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I was already under the impression it was dictated by HP?

Maybe he doesn't really have 1400hp, and that's why he doesn't need it. 😉

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dunno on boats. Do big power boats suffer from torque steer? Are factory Bravo parts known to scatter at speeds, or different load characteristics? I've never had a boat with power, let alone, big power.

With crawlers, mud trucks and the like, the hydraulics are added to overcome the mass of the tires, or fight feedback felt by the operator. Full hydraulic steering is used on some and also tractors. They don't give much "feel", but can make steering 66x44" tires a one finger affair.

With big power and aggressive props, are they a lot harder to control under throttle?

572ext

Reaction score
Generally if the boat can run 70 plus you should have hydraulic steering main reason at speeds 70 and above you can get prop blow out where the prop will make a void or pocket and put the drive in a turn you can’t hold back

RichL

Reaction score
Generally if the boat can run 70 plus you should have hydraulic steering main reason at speeds 70 and above you can get prop blow out where the prop will make a void or pocket and put the drive in a turn you can’t hold back
This is the rule I've always heard as well.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I just had it added by Nordic to my 28' Heat, I am running a stock 496 HO. I have only been able to take it out for a quick trip down to 3 dunes and back to Windsor but I wish I had done it sooner. I kept having issues with the steering it originally had and instead of continuing to fight with it I decided it was time to upgrade. I had to have my outdrive rebuilt a few months back and paid a little extra to add billet internals, now the upgrade on the steering, so if my 496 ever lets go I am ready for a little more power.

Now to get back to your question, from a safety standpoint or when would it be necessary, to me having 1400 hp it would be a good idea to have it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
He isn’t pushing 1400 hp on stock bravo steering. Even with a scx of external is mandatory. They don’t make one with out it

70 mph rule is what I go by too

my dad blew up his drive in his daytona near the sandbar going 90+ only reason the boat didn’t flip over is the steering held the drive in place or what was left of it

28Eliminator

Reaction score
He isn’t pushing 1400 hp on stock bravo steering. Even with a scx of external is mandatory. They don’t make one with out it

70 mph rule is what I go by too

my dad blew up his drive in his daytona near the sandbar going 90+ only reason the boat didn’t flip over is the steering held the drive in place or what was left of it

yes he is… it has approx 3 hrs run time I’m guessing 🤣🤣

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Full hydraulic steering is so smooth, I would want it on any boat. A boat with 1400 hp should definitely have it
So true. After driving my Hallett with hydraulic steering, I took a guy on a test drive on my Chaparral without it and I was like "what the hell is wrong with the steering" seemed loose & sloppy - like my first girl friend 🤣

instagator

Reaction score
When is it really necessary?

What dictates the need? Is it just HP or the prop size? Boat design, Cat vs VHull…

At what point do you refuse to get in a boat because you feel it’s unsafe?

I made a comment to a guy that is pushing 1400 hp, and boat has the stock bravo steering… he says he doesn’t need it.
the guy did not have 1400 HP or even a clue, Just to say that means he is an idiot.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Doesn’t it happen to have a merc ITS transom Assy with bravo drive ?
You wouldn’t see external steering because it’s below waterline built into transom

If not, death wish.

Last edited:

Marlo

Reaction score
I am not sure where it states what the determining factor is, but usually over 70-75 MPH it was recommended. With twins I would definitely run full hydraulic at those speeds. (Talking Bravo 1 setups here). I believe the main weak link is the steering arm on the factory setup when you start impacting the drive at higher speeds (water/waves). On twin merc setups they tie the two together inside the boat and only use one pump/steering valve assembly to steer both drives. At a minimum most performance boats with twins running in that max speed range would put an external tie bar on.
I’ve run a 29’ twin on factory steering and drives to 83-84 and experienced the start of blow out. Blow out does not cause the steering system to fail or force a turn, it is the lack of water around the prop and drive that causes the boat to not be “pushed or turned” in the direction you wish, along with the sudden drop of the bow when the lift on transom is lost from push of prop causing the nose to drag and steer. It’s no good. We put nosecones on the drives to streamline drive and water flow to props and it drove great to 87-88mph top speed (stock procherged 454 May efi’s). I personally would not have owned boat like this without full hydraulic, but I know he ran Lake Michigan 250-300 hours on that setup with no issue.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
the guy did not have 1400 HP or even a clue, Just to say that means he is an idiot.

I don’t disagree… just what he said 😉
EC031BC8-29DC-4095-8F51-6031BCE5C3BF.jpeg

JayBreww

Reaction score
Can you even get 1400 out of a 83 lb injector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
I was reading his posts on IG. I don’t know much about blower belts but he’s gone through at least 10 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Full hydraulic steering= Hands down the best upgrade I have done to my boat.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Not 1400 hp. And he is running a stock bravo drive. He is likely 800 or so. Even then scary ass shit

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Would a boat with factory installed Mercury Racing 525 come with external steering? Or does it depend how the buyer spec'd the initial build?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I agree with everything here, but ... one thing I notice is that around the dock, regular power steering is better. I can spin that style with my pinky. Full hydraulic takes two hands to go more than a half circle.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I agree with everything here, but ... one thing I notice is that around the dock, regular power steering is better. I can spin that style with my pinky. Full hydraulic takes two hands to go more than a half circle.

Do you have the high speed 1500 psi pump?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I have found on my recent upgrade the complete opposite of this. Even at idle it's a easy to turn as a 70 Cadillac.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I have found on my recent upgrade the complete opposite of this. Even at idle it's a easy to turn as a 70 Cadillac.
Weird. One with, one without, same day. I'll check a couple of others this weekend. Now I am curious.

Edit: The stiff one was DTS.

Last edited:

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Not mine

Boat 405

Reaction score
Pretty much anything over a 496HO should have dual ram hydraulic steering. IMO