WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Extreme vs Adrenaline

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I either have to get a new trailer or have my triple axle Extreme re-built. We are talking a 2003 26 Daytona.I’m in Havasu, so it seems like Adrenaline would be the logical choice. Yet I see people like one-a-day, whom has some of the nicest stuff on the water, go with extreme. (Cost or quality?)
I have no idea what rebuild vs new cost is.
If you rebuild, how would you know how bad the rusting is on the inside, be fucked to do a rebuild and 2 years later it breaks where you couldn’t see the damage inside the rectangle tube frame.
The plates that the bunks bolt to are a rusted mess, looks like the bolts will soon pull through. I would guess there are other areas I can’t see need addressed.
The rear axle has this pocket in the center that holds water, it rusted pretty good and I assume I would need a new one.
Of course new paint and fender liners. My stainless fenders look pretty good, assume they can re-buff those.
I would guess, once a trailer place takes things apart, they find other issues that the initial quote didn’t cover.
Anyone know any big difference between the 2 companies?

Boat 405

Reaction score
I went through this same process and decided on a new trailer from
Adrenaline for my 25 daytona. I did end up having it slightly modified after completion by adrenaline at the drive guard. I’d go with them again. Wayne was great to work with.
0BC2DC0A-3975-4C28-8CF3-C193677C95B8.jpeg
F0BC85EF-28E4-4FE1-A366-9FF8C25C39A6.jpeg
BCD8243C-7BD3-4AA3-9961-D123EA6DD4D1.jpeg
8145E7F9-B991-4FEE-B426-55E69CDE7F17.jpeg
5F6EC111-60E0-4853-8C16-729E28163589.jpeg
499B3234-E19F-438B-817E-6C56E70C6B7B.jpeg
A7CEC21B-73BC-4F27-AEA7-AE3CAE7E94F9.jpeg
4733E7FF-FC99-43E5-BBD5-A363F5C9ECB8.jpeg

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Depends what you want the trailer to do...

mid you want it to last forever and hold the boat while you’re not on the water...I’d get a trailer built from C-channel. If you want expensive bling, go with a tube trailer with all the bells and whistles

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score

mid you want it to last forever and hold the boat while you’re not on the water...I’d get a trailer built from C-channel. If you want expensive bling, go with a tube trailer with all the bells and whistles
I don’t need,”all” the bells and whistles. I still want my front ladder. I don’t know if these guys can build a C channel, it’s not what they do.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Tube is NOT much more.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Had my Extreme trailer rebuilt by adrenaline. They did a great job. Extreme told me they don’t do custom service anymore just new builds so never got a quote from them but for the amount I put into this trailer at adrenaline, it was still less than half of a new build cost from them.

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
You might consider stopping by Frank's Trailer repair in Havasu. I have used him before and prices are fair.

Good Luck

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Correct, but it won’t live nearly as long. I prefer channel.

I do not agree with that. I was thinking about a New Trailer asome time back, and with a New Trailer having drain Holes and then I keep debating the correct treatment for the inside of the tube should be No difference in Life. I am Not sure if the inside could be Powder Coated effectively as the outside, but I am confident there is some process that will be fine.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I do not agree with that. I was thinking about a New Trailer asome time back, and with a New Trailer having drain Holes and then I keep debating the correct treatment for the inside of the tube should be No difference in Life. I am Not sure if the inside could be Powder Coated effectively as the outside, but I am confident there is some process that will be fine.

Cleaning the mill oil from inside of 20 foot tubing, confirming it’s clean, then coating it...and confirming it’s coated...after welding...

I don’t think that’s gonna happen.

That would require multiple agitated chemical baths big enough to dunk the whole trailer.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
There probably is a process, but it would probably be too cost prohibitive for most people or most shops to invest in the equipment. I don’t know just my speculation.😊

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Cleaning the mill oil from inside of 20 foot tubing, confirming it’s clean, then coating it...and confirming it’s coated...after welding...

I don’t think that gonna happen.

Great!!, speaking of "OIL" then. The 1973- early 80's Chevy Pickups,Suburbans, Blazers were a Pitiful design, as back in the Midwest the bottoms of the Doors and Rocker Panels ALWAYS rusted out. I knew a Body Shop that told people to bring them in right after buying and they Coated the inside with some Penetrating Oil and NOT One ever rusted out VS every other one doing so.
I guess don't Care, Spray the "F" out of the inside with oil when NEW and once in awhile after. I mean a High Pressure spraying in every Drain Hole and I would NOT be concerned from then on.

wzuber

Reaction score
If your concerned about tube trailers and longevity have the chassis, axels, springs etc. hot dip galv., sandblasted and painted. The sandblasting does NOT remove the ext.galv. and you have the best of both worlds.
You could also look into coating the inside of the tube after fab.is complete.
Rebuild should b considerably cheaper than new unless your is severly deteriorated.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
If your concerned about tube trailers and longevity have the chassis, axels, springs etc. hot dip galv., sandblasted and painted. The sandblasting does NOT remove the ext.galv. and you have the best of both worlds.
You could also look into coating the inside of the tube after fab.is complete.
Rebuild should b considerably cheaper than new unless your is severly deteriorated.

The "LABOR" is what kills these projects.

In my case = Everyone's "TIME" is worth a shit load more than mine it seems.o_O

:)

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Buy a welder, some saws, build some jigs, a paint booth...engineer your inside tube rust prevention process, then build your own trailer...bet everyone’s else’s time will seem cheap after that.

wzuber

Reaction score
Regardless of which way you go......
Make certain ALL (mig) welDS are 100% complete or it will rust between surfaces. Inspect EVERY weld for pinholes. If you suspect there might b a hole, grind it a bit and weld that spot/area again to make certain or tig weld the "pin spots" at least.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Buy a welder, some saws, build some jigs, a paint booth...engineer your inside tube rust prevention process, then build your own trailer...bet everyone’s else’s time will seem cheap after that.

I am NOT arguing with you here. :) Channeled trailers Look like a "Cheap Whore", no matter how the wiring etc is attempted it is Still a Channel and I feel it distracts from a great Looking Boat Project and avoid them Like the Plague.

Everyone has their opinion. I just know on a New Build rust prevention Can be accomplished, but then again I enjoy beating my head against the WALL>:confused:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Regardless of which way you go......
Make certain ALL (mig) welDS are 100% complete or it will rust between surfaces. Inspect EVERY weld for pinholes. If you suspect there might b a hole, grind it a bit and weld that spot/area again to make certain or tig weld the "pin spots" at least.

Yup...I’m dealing that on this POS “pretty” trailer under my boat. Rust at every seam due to incomplete weld penetration. It’s a formed channel trailer, not tube, not rolled channel...so it’s the worst of both worlds. The welded it from the inside to cut down on grinding on the outside and it is (a) a noodle and (b) looks like it’s cracking at half the weld seams which all have a nice rusty line that’s causing the powder coat to come off.

I’ll build a new one properly this winter.

JDKRXW

Reaction score

This. Trouble is you need to find someone with a pretty big hot dip tank.
And after owning many different types of trailers over many years, I wouldn't by any new one that's not galvanized or fully aluminium.
Both are more expensive ... because they're worth it.

wzuber

Reaction score

Agree with the costs of SHOP time which most these days runs at least $125.00/man hr. it seems....Mines a bit less.
As far as "your" time, only u can determine that.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I think the big problem with some of the tube trailers is over the years they have gotten thinner and thinner. People don’t wanna haul the weight and it saves the manufacturer/boat dealer money. Only me and Captain obvious knew this.😂

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Extreme does custom rebuilds if you go through eliminator to request it. $7500 for new paint, new recessed lighting, new double handle ladder, add a third axle, and new 18” wheels and tires with stainless fenders.
Adrenaline wanted half that amount for the wheels and tires alone.

I have used adrenaline before and they do awesome work but in my opinion since they started doing the over the top builds for dcb that their pricing as reflected that customer base.

They are doing my current trailer, scheduled for 9/30 when my boat goes in to have the interior done at eliminator, extreme comes over and picks up the trailer while the boat is getting the interior done.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
I think the big problem with some of the tube trailers is over the years they have gotten thinner and thinner. People don’t wanna haul the weight and it saves the manufacturer/boat dealer money. Only me and Captain obvious knew this.😂

Well I guess if you are hauling that Big "Fiberglass TUB" from California to Havasu each weekend,and only concerned about weight to save the $2.00 in fuel I guess? The people who transport a Boat hundreds of Miles often should Expect every issue that comes with it.

BUT!!

🏳

I concede on any and every point you guys want to throw at me😀

I have Corona Virus and Shit to worry about now.

"OVER"

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Well I guess if you are hauling that Big "Fiberglass TUB" from California to Havasu each weekend,and only concerned about weight to save the $2.00 in fuel I guess? The people who transport a Boat hundreds of Miles often should Expect every issue that comes with it.

BUT!!

🏳

I concede on any and every point you guys want to throw at me😀

I have Corona Virus and Shit to worry about now.

"OVER"
In a quote from one of my favorite movies...
NOTHING IS OVER! 😂

not disagreeing with you, I like the way a tube trailer looks much better I think most people do.😊

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I either have to get a new trailer or have my triple axle Extreme re-built. We are talking a 2003 26 Daytona.I’m in Havasu, so it seems like Adrenaline would be the logical choice. Yet I see people like one-a-day, whom has some of the nicest stuff on the water, go with extreme. (Cost or quality?)
I have no idea what rebuild vs new cost is.
If you rebuild, how would you know how bad the rusting is on the inside, be fucked to do a rebuild and 2 years later it breaks where you couldn’t see the damage inside the rectangle tube frame.
The plates that the bunks bolt to are a rusted mess, looks like the bolts will soon pull through. I would guess there are other areas I can’t see need addressed.
The rear axle has this pocket in the center that holds water, it rusted pretty good and I assume I would need a new one.
Of course new paint and fender liners. My stainless fenders look pretty good, assume they can re-buff those.
I would guess, once a trailer place takes things apart, they find other issues that the initial quote didn’t cover.
Anyone know any big difference between the 2 companies?
A tube trailer will eventually rot from the inside out. How long before that happens is the big question. Extreme used to build the Galva-tube trailers out of galavanized tubing, that actually worked pretty well. I recently saw one that was ~15 years old and there was zero rust inside it. Not sure if they still offer that. The other option is c-channel. Adrenaline did this trailer out of channel and it came out badass, but I think it was a huge amount of money.

Pacific trailers also builds c-channel steel trailers. Call Shadow and Pacific for quotes on refurbs.

post up some pictures of your current trailer and the rust spots.

wzuber

Reaction score

I doubt that due to potential liability issues but some may push the envelope, not all. Risk vs. Reward would b extremely high. Example
The weight diff. Between ASTM A-500 grade, structural steel tube @ 2"x4" x .095" and .120" (1/8") wall thickness is .89#'/ L.F. according to my books. That's less than 50#'s AND $cents on the doller diff.
In wt & $. This example is based on a 21' mini daycruiser type boat trlr. Frame i.e.- 47 l.f. of rect. Tube for the perimeter rails.
Risk v. Reward...sound worth it?
As a fabricator for over 30 yrs. And having built over a dozen tube frame boat trlrs. I have an eye for trlr builds and I look at and scruitinize all of them in the L.R. p. Lots etc. I have never seen a trlr. of that size or even smaller (18' boat) built out of .095" material, .120" is the thinest I've ever seen or would even consider. The tube corner radius is the tell tale. Additionally, I cannot imagin (fathom really) using .095" wall tube for an over the road, public owned/use type trlr. That would be suide by trailer failure. Lol

wzuber

Reaction score
This. Trouble is you need to find someone with a pretty big hot dip tank.
And after owning many different types of trailers over many years, I wouldn't by any new one that's not galvanized or fully aluminium.
Both are more expensive ... because they're worth it.
I belive there's a shop in Pheonix that has 40' x 10' deep tanks but I have not used them yet, only L.A.Galvanizing.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
A tube trailer will eventually rot from the inside out. How long before that happens is the big question. Extreme used to build the Galva-tube trailers out of galavanized tubing, that actually worked pretty well. I recently saw one that was ~15 years old and there was zero rust inside it. Not sure if they still offer that. The other option is c-channel. Adrenaline did this trailer out of channel and it came out badass, but I think it was a huge amount of money.

Pacific trailers also builds c-channel steel trailers. Call Shadow and Pacific for quotes on refurbs.

post up some pictures of your current trailer and the rust spots.
The 3rd or back axle is what needs to be addressed soon, I’m afraid it’s going to break in half, the other 2 don’t have cancer like that on that bottom curve. The bunk supports 3 rows up are a rusted mess where the bolts go, they must drill them after paint or paint just wears out. The ones that don’t get very wet are fine.

Attachments

• 02C9165E-366D-443E-B8A4-231EF025A328.jpeg
    02C9165E-366D-443E-B8A4-231EF025A328.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 884A05B6-0287-4C8C-98CA-6D3A0704A50F.jpeg
    884A05B6-0287-4C8C-98CA-6D3A0704A50F.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 15601068-652E-44AE-AA73-CBAEA9E45F79.jpeg
    15601068-652E-44AE-AA73-CBAEA9E45F79.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 181

SS-C

Reaction score
I went through this same process and decided on a new trailer from
Adrenaline for my 25 daytona. I did end up having it slightly modified after completion by adrenaline at the drive guard. I’d go with them again. Wayne was great to work with.
nice trailer.jpeg

Gorgeous trailer definitely built to last! 👍

By the way, how do you like boating there at Hidden Shores Resort?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Sold our trailer down there last month. We are out. But the river down there is amazing, plenty of shallow spots to watch out for but it's all sand.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
5ED35ABC-0BC1-4E24-8850-95F671C122C2.jpeg
AB63BDB2-BD82-42CB-B183-43942966B662.jpeg
5603406F-8118-4539-AEEB-F9E89E3A72BB.jpeg
I went with Adrenaline and had my trailer built in July of 2017, 9 x 18 Fuel Wheels, Electric over Hydraulic. Looking back I should have had the guides installed as I’ve seen on the trailers with Hallett boats. I was going to have my Ellis trailer rebuilt but, in the end really wanted a triple axel towing on my yearly trip from Northern California to Havasu. As far as cost I could have had Teague Whipple my 525. But it was worth it to me. As far as Extreme I got tired of not being called back, so when I went to DS that year I put my deposit down with Wayne.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I doubt that due to potential liability issues but some may push the envelope, not all. Risk vs. Reward would b extremely high. Example
The weight diff. Between ASTM A-500 grade, structural steel tube @ 2"x4" x .095" and .120" (1/8") wall thickness is .89#'/ L.F. according to my books. That's less than 50#'s AND $cents on the doller diff.
In wt & $. This example is based on a 21' mini daycruiser type boat trlr. Frame i.e.- 47 l.f. of rect. Tube for the perimeter rails.
As a fabricator for over 30 yrs. And having built over a dozen tube frame boat trlrs. I have an eye for trlr builds and I look at and scruitinize all of them in the L.R. p. Lots etc. I have never seen a trlr. of that size or even smaller (18' boat) built out of .095" material, .120" is the thinest I've ever seen or would even consider. The tube corner radius is the tell tale. Additionally, I cannot imagin (fathom really) using .095" wall tube for an over the road, public owned/use type trlr. That would be suide by trailer failure. Lol
I know I said it in my first post I don’t think the weight is that much of an issue, I probably think that way coming from a long-haul trucking background. But the real reason I think it’s just cost savings and more profit for the manufacturer. Just like house builders some will build a house on 24 inch stud centers instead of 16s to save what, a couple of hundred bucks on a house.
I would like to think somebody building a custom one off trailer is going to use better materials and better workmanship.👍🏽

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
You sound like a guy with lots of trailer expertise.... Question for ya.... I have a NAS trailer built in 2006, it came with my 29' Magic . Any opinions on how well these were built or reputation of durability? I Google NAS and they're not in US and are based in Dubai currently. Thank you.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I have an extreme trailer and had adrenaline do updates a few years ago. Wayne JR and Sr where great to work with. Turned out awesome and very happy with the updates they did.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I have an extreme trailer and had adrenaline do updates a few years ago. Wayne JR and Sr where great to work with. Turned out awesome and very happy with the updates they did.

Same here. Both Sr and Jr have been great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Look at what they are running in Florida. Lots of aluminum.
Yeah but if you’re not running in saltwater, aluminum trailers suck. Unless you’re talking Myco or Manning, aluminum trailers flex and tow like shit. And they don’t look cool.

wzuber

Reaction score
You sound like a guy with lots of trailer expertise.... Question for ya.... I have a NAS trailer built in 2006, it came with my 29' Magic . Any opinions on how well these were built or reputation of durability? I Google NAS and they're not in US and are based in Dubai currently. Thank you.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with them. Additionally, I can't begin to comprehend why someone would build a trailer in Dubai and ship it here. It seems to me the transport/shipping costs to here would more than consume any build costs savings.
Whas the boat built there or something?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not familiar with them. Additionally, I can't begin to comprehend why someone would build a trailer in Dubai and ship it here. It seems to me the transport/shipping costs to here would more than consume any build costs savings.
Whas the boat built there or something?
Magic was a popular builder based in Havasu, AZ back in the day..... my boat and trailer is a 2006.... I assume NAS Trailers back at that time had US operations and Magic bought from them and placed their name on them. Just curious, thanks for responding.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
What could possibly go wrong with a full tube boat trailer...🤷🏻‍♂️
88FCC356-6303-4A5F-9273-A6C560E681EF.jpeg

B28C9D27-7526-466E-AE8D-E97575FC12C2.jpeg
92380A26-5E58-492D-BE02-19CE4B1E232A.jpeg
FA787066-61B3-4115-AC8A-6E7624ACF476.jpeg
D44EE8BE-DBED-4FE3-8CE1-0BFFA01EBAAD.jpeg
3EE89E3E-6CCB-441A-8B20-7C2EB623257A.jpeg

wzuber

Reaction score
yep, good example of a poorly built and maintained tube chassis trlr. I repaired a early 70's Mr Ed flatbottom trlr. under a friends pos 20' step deck mandella. No drain holes anywhere. Frame rails and cross members rusted thru, the whole rear cross member with steps, lights etc. removed and replaced, new prop guard, sectioned out the very bad, patch plates on the rest, repaired a couple steps, both fenders, new swivel tongue jack etc. Then he had some messican paint/body guy paint it in a trade deal. The dude totally focked the paint. He failed to add enough hardener and the trailer looked like a sharpie dogs skin, wrinkled everywhere. I then got the honors to grind all that shit off, patch a couple more areas and re-prime/paint the whole thing. If built, used and maintained correctly they will last a very long time but probably not for ever. ymmv haha

glamis0812

Reaction score

I was told from Frank (trailer repair guy in Havasu) that Magic was building those in house. I had one under my sleekcraft and it looked well built.

spectracular

Reaction score
Yeah but if you’re not running in saltwater, aluminum trailers suck. Unless you’re talking Myco or Manning, aluminum trailers flex and tow like shit. And they don’t look cool.

I was thinking Myco.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
BTW, I confirmed the original build of my trailer with Extreme and they said they built it with galvanized tubing, which was an option, and should prevent corrosion along with drain holes.