WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Extremely vintage dirtbike for sale

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Used to help shuttle the pioneers cross county.

Pretty good shape for being 136 years old .... :cool:

04E6F43E-29D0-4B95-88BA-582290EEBB32.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Crap they've gotten pricey! Haven't had one in 20 years, but damn. I know I didn't pay that much for the truck and dirt bike together.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nothing better in Glamis, beast of a bike.

Reactions: DWC

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I had one. Holy shit those are hard to start
I had a 1986 (which I think is what is in the pictured ad). Pro Circuit modded mine with a tiny hole drilled into the head. It would bleed off pressure when the piston is moving at kicking speed, but when running you would never miss the slight loss of compression. Added a heavier flywheel and altered the timing slightly.
If you laid it over until gas runs out of carb, run kickstarter thru once or twice to atomizer gas into the cylinder, it would almost always start on the first or second serious kick after that.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had a 1986 (which I think is what is in the pictured ad). Pro Circuit modded mine with a tiny hole drilled into the head. It would bleed off pressure when the piston is moving at kicking speed, but when running you would never miss the slight loss of compression. Added a heavier flywheel and altered the timing slightly.
If you laid it over until gas runs out of carb, run kickstarter thru once or twice to atomizer gas into the cylinder, it would almost always start on the first or second serious kick after that.
Thats the trick to all 500's. Even my bone stock '88 KX500 is the same trick to starting it cold. It will fire first or second kick everytime using that method.

I do love the bottom end gunt of the KX though. It's power band is more linear than most of the modern 4 strokes even. I don't think I could ever get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
4 scores and 7 years ago Honda came out with a game changing dirt bike.
Meh... Kawi and Honda both released their 500's in 83 and both went watercooled in 85. From the racing results, the Honda was better in the open class racing whereas the Kawi couldn't be touched in the desert.

I could only imagine what a modern big bore 2 stroke would be like now if the big 3 kept developing them over the years.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
12 years...a very loyal companion. It had theft control due to the hard kick throttle crack needed to get it started. This pic all the original plastics back un and sold it for $1850 back in 2002. Stupid.

CR500 For Sale.jpg

RCDave

Reaction score
Hard to start? Try a Bultaco with a to the front kickstarter

RCDave

Reaction score
I got lazy kickstarting a yz490 once. Broke a bone in my foot when it kicked back

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Thats the trick to all 500's. Even my bone stock '88 KX500 is the same trick to starting it cold. It will fire first or second kick everytime using that method.

I had a mid 80s CR 5hundy and yep, the only way to start it was lay it over until fuel ran out. You better have a boot on.

Those are bikes for men.

attitude

Reaction score
Eh I’ll take a modern 450 over a 500. Easier to start, faster, smoother powerband. I’ll save mixing gas for a nice 125 to rip around a track.

PlanB

Reaction score
I had a mid 80s CR 5hundy and yep, the only way to start it was lay it over until fuel ran out. You better have a boot on.

Those are bikes for men.

Had a buddy start mine barefoot one night in Glamis after a few beers and a dare.

81eliminator

Reaction score
Meh... Kawi and Honda both released their 500's in 83 and both went watercooled in 85. From the racing results, the Honda was better in the open class racing whereas the Kawi couldn't be touched in the desert.

I could only imagine what a modern big bore 2 stroke would be like now if the big 3 kept developing them over the years.

The Honda did pretty well in the desert in the hands of privateers, the official Honda off road team was not allowed to race the CR. the XR was Honda's of road bike.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The Honda did pretty well in the desert in the hands of privateers, the official Honda off road team was not allowed to race the CR. the XR was Honda's of road bike.

I haven't ridden a 500 of that era but I have ridden a cr250 of that era and it sometimes had a case of the headshake at speed. The KX was supposed to be rock solid at 90 plus, just was terrible to try to get around corners.

PlanB

Reaction score
I haven't ridden a 500 of that era but I have ridden a cr250 of that era and it sometimes had a case of the headshake at speed. The KX was supposed to be rock solid at 90 plus, just was terrible to try to get around corners.

The 500 was well known for headshake. That's what caused my bad crash at Carlsbad.

PlanB

Reaction score
He didn't walk the next week did he?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

He actually pulled it off without injury. I thought it would kick back and break his foot...

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Since we are talking about cool old hondas, this one looks like a prime candidate for a freshen up. Appears to have almost no hours on it. If I didn't already have (2) old 2 strokes down to the frame in the garage I would seriously consider it

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Great Bike, had an 89 Cr 5 Million.Loved that thing. Glamis/Dez Beast.

oldschool

Reaction score
If you think that Honda was hard to start, try to kick start a BSA 441 Victor Special. ;)
My dad has one sitting on the side of his house. We talked about restoring it, but decided against it because someone would have to kick that pig to ride it.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score

I dont' know about the Kawi being untouchable in the desert. My WR 500 Husky from that same era had no problem keeping up with them.

RCDave

Reaction score
My dad has one sitting on the side of his house. We talked about restoring it, but decided against it because someone would have to kick that pig to ride it.

My dad had one when I was Kid. It took him forever to light that engine. It think I got a half hour of riding in each trip before that beast would light

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
He’s giving it to a buddy of his that plans to restore it, or it would be yours. That bike is kick ass by the way! You do the restore on it?
That’s what it used to look like. I vintage raced it back in the day and put it up wet. It’s waiting for a restore. I have the original mufflers and air box that have never been used. Unheard of. Everyone took them off and threw them away. My goal was to have it in a living room. But don’t think that will happen🥵

checkrdpast

Reaction score
I had one. Holy shit those are hard to start

Had on e too, with mine if you were not at the top of stroke with the kick lever , no chance in hell. My rule for riding my 500 was if you can start it ,you can ride it.
And no joke ,had a skinny teen asked to ride it with slip on vans , me and all my buddies were in amazement as he fired it on the first kick and the rest od the afternoon. DAMM