WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

EZ Auto Battery Replacement

LuauLounge

Reaction score
If you are a AAA member, they have changed their program. I've normally used Costco for batteries, due to their price and warranties.
Our company Hyundai, after 6 years on the original, died. Didn't get a chance to run out and get one, called AAA.
An hour later, new battery installed. 3 year free replacement with an additional 3 year prorated. Cost was identical to Costco, but delivered and installed at our office. Done changing batteries myself.

Taboma

Reaction score
If you are a AAA member, they have changed their program. I've normally used Costco for batteries, due to their price and warranties.
Our company Hyundai, after 6 years on the original, died. Didn't get a chance to run out and get one, called AAA.
An hour later, new battery installed. 3 year free replacement with an additional 3 year prorated. Cost was identical to Costco, but delivered and installed at our office. Done changing batteries myself.
I had AAA replace the OEM AGM batt in my 18' Raptor. Called one morning, within an hour the guy was at my house and swapped it out with a new Interstate AGM while it parked in my garage. I was most pleased, I'll be using them going forward.
I think in 30 years of AAA membership it's the only thing I've used them for otherwise DMV services, and I travel once.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have been a AAA member for 45 years. Every time I have used their service the response has been good EXCEPT when a couple of years ago my wife's truck battery rolled over and died. She has a 2007 GMC Canyon. I called AAA and was told yes they can deliver and install a new battery IN 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!! It seems that the AAA garages/service people in the southern Utah do not want to be part the the battery program. Do yourself a favor, if you are a AAA member check and see if the battery exchange service is available in your area.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Its not just South Utah in So Cal one of my employees called and tried to have them come out and warrant their (AAA) battery and were told that they didn't have any in stock currently and it would be roughly a week so off to Vatozone. Just saying be careful with AAA.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I always use AAA . Keep the receipt in the glovebox. No Ticket no laundry if the battery pukes. Also, they diagnose for any issues that may have led to the battery's failure.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but AAA batteries are low quality IMO, but that might be just the case that they are almost 100% installed incorrectly here locally. Posts not cleaned, left loose, missing brackets etc. These are not mechanics doing this, they are tow truck operators.

From covers going missing on Mini's and Audi's, to almost every one of them not actually secure (loose). I see this on almost every AAA replacement that comes into my shop. Yes it's convenient, but if you only get a year or two out of a 3-4 year expectancy of life is it worth it?

Vibration and harshness is what kills batteries before their expected time, they have to be installed secure enough to not be moved physically by you, not even a little bit.

It should feel like it's a fender or the frame, like part of the vehicle that cannot be removed.

Honestly it's the bane of all the aftermarket, as the original service batteries for new vehicles are unobtainable by the aftermarket in any form. A daily driver with no history of full a full drain (lights left on, door left open till dead etc) usually gets 5-6 years, some get 8-10! Those batteries are made in a separate plant from all others from what's been explained to me by my battery guy.

Check your installs.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
They do it in havasu via Steve’s towing (AAA servicer) had a battery go down, they changed it out in the drive. Another good perk!

poncho

Reaction score
I have been a AAA member for 45 years. Every time I have used their service the response has been good EXCEPT when a couple of years ago my wife's truck battery rolled over and died. She has a 2007 GMC Canyon. I called AAA and was told yes they can deliver and install a new battery IN 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!! It seems that the AAA garages/service people in the southern Utah do not want to be part the the battery program. Do yourself a favor, if you are a AAA member check and see if the battery exchange service is available in your area.
I'm friends with the guy who has the contract in my town, fun guy also owns the best bar in town, you will not come out winning doing business with him, hard pass.

Taboma

Reaction score
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but AAA batteries are low quality IMO, but that might be just the case that they are almost 100% installed incorrectly here locally. Posts not cleaned, left loose, missing brackets etc. These are not mechanics doing this, they are tow truck operators.

From covers going missing on Mini's and Audi's, to almost every one of them not actually secure (loose). I see this on almost every AAA replacement that comes into my shop. Yes it's convenient, but if you only get a year or two out of a 3-4 year expectancy of life is it worth it?

Vibration and harshness is what kills batteries before their expected time, they have to be installed secure enough to not be moved physically by you, not even a little bit.

It should feel like it's a fender or the frame, like part of the vehicle that cannot be removed.

Honestly it's the bane of all the aftermarket, as the original service batteries for new vehicles are unobtainable by the aftermarket in any form. A daily driver with no history of full a full drain (lights left on, door left open till dead etc) usually gets 5-6 years, some get 8-10! Those batteries are made in a separate plant from all others from what's been explained to me by my battery guy.

Check your installs.
I have little doubt you're an excellent mechanic, but I bet your Yelp reviews would provide hours of serious entertainment. :oops:🤣

hman442

Reaction score

Check your installs.
I can't speak to the quality of the AAA Batteries, but I've noticed the same thing on the installs. On so many newer vehicles, the air cleaner box has to be moved or removed, the air intake, an electronic module, fender braces, etc., just to replace the battery. It may not be an issue with the abilities of the "tow truck driver", but the fact that he doesn't have a six foot wide, six foot tall tool box on his tow truck in order to have all the weirdo tools that are required on some vehicles: the exact right combo of socket and extension to fit in, torx sockets, etc. We won't even get into the fact that a number of newer vehicles: BMW, Mercedes, GMC Acadia, for instance, cleverly install the battery underneath a seat, (sometimes easier than a under hood mounted). So the guy does his best, removes a few fasteners with vise grips, then, doesn't reinstall, leaves off the plastic cover that he pried out of the way, as he didn't have the tool to remove the panel partially covering it. They do have their place though. Not all batteries are difficult to install, and if you call three "real shops", and they tell you they're a week or two out, the AAA service wins every time

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
AAA put one in my Tundra 5 Years back, still rolling.

bk2drvr

Reaction score

Check your installs.
This ^^^^

Batteries today are a friggen mystery from a quality standpoint. My only faith in any of them at the moment is Interstate. No one touches my vehicles so I’d rather be inconvenienced and drive to Costco and replace it myself even if it takes 3 hours.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
My daughter, who lives in Long Beach, called AAA and had her truck battery replaced. Two months later, I borrowed her truck and saw that the AAA battery was defective and dead. I called AAA and because she signed for it, she must be there for the replacement. Well, having her drive from Long Beach to my house would have cost as much as a new battery, I just pulled her battery out and replaced it with a Costco battery.

AAA batteries....never again!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
In LHC, on a vehicle that doesn't get driven much, will a battery tender extend its life?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Does AAA perform the “new battery programming” that more and more cars have these days?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Does AAA perform the “new battery programming” that more and more cars have these days?
No..at least in my experience. I’d have them do my truck, van or the Hoe, but since I’ve owned a number of them I have a bmw tuner handheld to be able to do batteries, injectors etc. In a major city maybe they can do it, but in havasu etc I highly doubt it based on experience.

I just bought tires in havasu for the x5 e drive but it’s going to dealer in Scottsdale for alignment if that says anything

Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score
FWIW.... Allegedly

"AAA puts their brand name on normal Interstate, Duralast, Die Hard, and Bosch batteries.

It’s a normal battery that comes with the service and peace of mind that if you need help, you can get it.

If you’re not a car person, AAA would be a good deal for you or your family.

The batteries that you get from AAA services have a 3-year warranty.

The company also prorates replacement costs up to 6 years.

Their batteries of today seem to be working well for customers.

There have been some negative reviews from a few years ago saying that the car batteries from AAA were not durable, but there have been zero negative reviews in the last four years.

It appears that AAA has worked out a problem that they had in the past with the batteries as they buy them from established manufacturers."

I've never used them.. But if in a jam I might have to and then check the quality of the install

As bk2drvr stated above.... I'll do it and make sure it's done correctly....

Granted.. in all my vehicles the batteries are easily accessible.... blk to blk---red to red...lol

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score

Check your installs.
I was at BAR when AAA got into the auto repair business. Their complaint numbers were bad, real bad. We actually had to call them in for an office conference and let them know the next step was to take an action against their license.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I have little doubt you're an excellent mechanic, but I bet your Yelp reviews would provide hours of serious entertainment. :oops:🤣
I don't do any online stuff other than RDP. The only reason I even open my mouth here is to share my experience with other members here to help advise or offer my opinions and talents to educate, repair, or prevent problems if possible.

I have learned so much from the members here in all aspects of my life over the years, in so many things, *yourself included in that Taboma*, if I can even save 1 or 2 members some heartache or make things easier for them it's a win to me 😉

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
My AAA battery lasted exactly 37 months. They gave me a few bucks off the new one. The good part was it died while on vacation on a Friday night around 8pm and I was on my way within an hour. I’m not buying another one.

Taboma

Reaction score
I don't do any online stuff other than RDP. The only reason I even open my mouth here is to share my experience with other members here to help advise or offer my opinions and talents to educate, repair, or prevent problems if possible.

I have learned so much from the members here in all aspects of my life over the years, in so many things, *yourself included in that Taboma*, if I can even save 1 or 2 members some heartache or make things easier for them it's a win to me 😉
Given your response, I'm guessing you don't read Yelp reviews, quite possibly even your own. Probably why you didn't understand I was making a tongue-in-cheek joking reference to your huggable RDP persona --- it had nothing to do with your greatly appreciated technical or mechanical expertise.

Taboma

Reaction score
The AGM the guy put in my 18' Raptor stated Interstate, nothing about AAA. He used a small 12V power supply jumpered, so nothing required re-programming, everything was properly routed and tightened, including the hold-down clamps. There's nothing he did or didn't do I haven't done a thousand times in my life myself --- and being it was the first time I used their service, I barely blinked as I observed during the exchange.

I've had Lexus and Audi swap the batteries in my wife's cars and in both cases, the OEM batteries that I specifically requested be replaced in kind, were replaced with Interstates.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Used AAA for a Subaru battery replacement for the girlfriend. Called to have the battery replacement and they were there in 20 minutes. Battery was a new Interstate and has a warranty with the paper you keep in the car.

It took care of the issue and was cheaper than the planned visit to the mechanic for a new one.

Me personally I run Odyssey in my vehicles and I’ve never had a problem with them. I wouldn’t use AAA as I wouldn’t let it get to the point that you’d be stranded. Keep the terminals clean and tight and the battery will last longer.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
FIVE and a HALFon my AAA installed battery. I will be looking to replace soon, but never had a problem with it. IT is an Interstate.

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I usually change batteries before they die.... but the wifes old infiniti died once. luckily we were in a walmart parking lot. so bought a new battery a $10 toolkit and swapped it in the parking lot. ezpz.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I just changed out the 6 8-volt batteries on my golf cart. Fuck they were heavy. They are either making them heavier or I am getting older.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I can't speak to the quality of the AAA Batteries, but I've noticed the same thing on the installs. On so many newer vehicles, the air cleaner box has to be moved or removed, the air intake, an electronic module, fender braces, etc., just to replace the battery. It may not be an issue with the abilities of the "tow truck driver", but the fact that he doesn't have a six foot wide, six foot tall tool box on his tow truck in order to have all the weirdo tools that are required on some vehicles: the exact right combo of socket and extension to fit in, torx sockets, etc. We won't even get into the fact that a number of newer vehicles: BMW, Mercedes, GMC Acadia, for instance, cleverly install the battery underneath a seat, (sometimes easier than a under hood mounted). So the guy does his best, removes a few fasteners with vise grips, then, doesn't reinstall, leaves off the plastic cover that he pried out of the way, as he didn't have the tool to remove the panel partially covering it. They do have their place though. Not all batteries are difficult to install, and if you call three "real shops", and they tell you they're a week or two out, the AAA service wins every time
The 1st gen Acadia has the battery under the middle row pax floor. A couple of fasteners and the battery is exposed. What is really a PITA is the OEM battery does not come equipped with a carry handle. I'm sure the original battery is installed by a robotic arm on the factory floor. The OEM was also smooth sided, it was interesting getting it out of its hole. The Interstate I replaced it with was much easier to deal with.

I can see why people would use a service on a modern car.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Its not just South Utah in So Cal one of my employees called and tried to have them come out and warrant their (AAA) battery and were told that they didn't have any in stock currently and it would be roughly a week so off to Vatozone. Just saying be careful with AAA.
Of course…it was a warranty. Nobody shows up in a hurry to cost themselves money.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I usually change batteries before they die.... but the wifes old infiniti died once. luckily we were in a walmart parking lot. so bought a new battery a $10 toolkit and swapped it in the parking lot. ezpz.
At every oil change, I load test my batteries that are more than a couple years old and also use this little digital tester I’ve got….not sure exactly what it tests for, but it’s been on the ball with whatever call it makes. Haven’t had a dead battery since I started doing this 15 years ago

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The AGM the guy put in my 18' Raptor stated Interstate, nothing about AAA. He used a small 12V power supply jumpered, so nothing required re-programming, everything was properly routed and tightened, including the hold-down clamps. There's nothing he did or didn't do I haven't done a thousand times in my life myself --- and being it was the first time I used their service, I barely blinked as I observed during the exchange.

I've had Lexus and Audi swap the batteries in my wife's cars and in both cases, the OEM batteries that I specifically requested be replaced in kind, were replaced with Interstates.
So did he install the jump box like he would when jumping a car? Or did he clip on directly to the battery cables?

Taboma

Reaction score
So did he install the jump box like he would when jumping a car? Or did he clip on directly to the battery cables?
Clipped it on the cables, then was careful not to allow them to short or ground.
I hadn't waited for a failure.
One reason I changed it out prematurely was I'd been having Sync Module problems and I'd read battery issues could contribute.
New battery didn't help, but at least the dealer couldn't blame the battery when I took it in for warranty. They actually replaced the entire module which was big $$$$$.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Of course…it was a warranty. Nobody shows up in a hurry to cost themselves money.
Correct, however when it's you lady stranded in the middle of know place you shouldn't just accept that. My point of view is a few people I know have been having bad luck with the batteries and the service and that's all I was trying to convey so take it for what it is.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I used the battery service once when I was in a work van in god forsaken Pomona at a facility I managed.

They came right out and tested the battery (they said it was good, just needed charging) I said change it.

About $130. as I remember, what else would I have done? I was stuck with a dead van and nothing but tweakers to be found.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've never used the AA service. My neighbor that is not mechanically inclined has used them a few times.