WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"F" ed or not

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I may have pulled a rookie move and trusted the company I purchased cloth from(1708) They stated that it was compatible with epoxy resin. My question , does this look like it has air entrapment? should I grind it out and start over? Should I have used different cloth?

I am moving the strut forward cut a hole ground back and made a form/mold to glass over/around.
020 (2).JPG
032 (2).JPG
032 (2).JPG

I wetted both sides of 1708 cloth during lay up and alternated layers of 6 oz

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’m a gelcoater, not a glass guy.
0E709413-6357-436B-A44D-085B7E1548F7.jpeg

That white area looks like an air gap, BUT, I’m not too familiar with how epoxy looks during cure vs v/e resin.

Tap it with your fingernail or a quarter. Does it sound hollow compared to a few inches to the side on solid, unrepaired glass?

As a last resort use a very small drill bit (like 1/16 or less) and start drilling into the suspect area. If it remains solid then refill the hole with a syringe. If you feel it break through after a minimal drilling, you have some grinding to do.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
1708 is not compatible with epoxy , the binder in the mat and the epoxy don't mix.

Heylam

Reaction score
Looks like blush to me. Not sure you have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
1708 is not compatible with epoxy , the binder in the mat and the epoxy don't mix.

Depends what 1708 he's using. I know US Composite sells the 1708 with a stitched in mat and no binder and it is compatible, others use a binder and it is not compatible and it won't fully wet out. I used 1708 and epoxy on my project with no issues.

Sometime the mat tends to wad up a little and looks like that. It's not an issue if fully wet-out. I'd tap it as others have said and make sure it is not hollow. If it is solid, I think you are fine......

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Did you cut the entire strut pad out and then glass back in? if that is the case I would like to see a little more area supporting the new structure, I moved the strut on my spectra and we put around 10 layers of glass in over several days and I had ground an area out about 18"x 30" I ended up with a flat floor above the strut and have a 3/8 plate that the strut mounts thru. Was putting a strut brace in from stringer to stringer but I got lazy. There is a ton of torque coming off that strut, I am by no means an expert but had one directing me on the patch work and he wanted it beefy.

Attachments

• 100_0493.jpg
    100_0493.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 278

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That's true. The look that the Matt has not wetted out makes me think it has a binder. And Matt with epoxy is not common, correct? I've done very little epoxy.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Did you cut the entire strut pad out and then glass back in? if that is the case I would like to see a little more area supporting the new structure, I moved the strut on my spectra and we put around 10 layers of glass in over several days and I had ground an area out about 18"x 30" I ended up with a flat floor above the strut and have a 3/8 plate that the strut mounts thru. Was putting a strut brace in from stringer to stringer but I got lazy. There is a ton of torque coming off that strut, I am by no means an expert but had one directing me on the patch work and he wanted it beefy.

If you look at firs pic I moved it 6" forward so 1/2 of the strut is on the original and 1/2 on new. I have tapped on it and does not sound hollow. I can add more in any area recommended. I am going to build a brace for it as well.

cofooter

Reaction score
That's true. The look that the Matt has not wetted out makes me think it has a binder. And Matt with epoxy is not common, correct? I've done very little epoxy.

My understanding is that with Epoxy, you don't need the mat for strength so most people don't use it because it is a PIA to wet out and will look splotchy (vs clear), only reason to use it is because the extras layer of mat builds bulk (thickness) if that is what you're looking for.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
coolchange said:

I have been using 1708 with West system 105/206 hardener, with no problems on my 71 Campbell.
I used 24G to ruff up the surface, layered the hull with the 1708 to make the floor Flat from the rudder to the stuffing log, 6 ft X 23" stringer to stringer.
I also added a aluminum T-8 1/4" plate over the strut
I do use some heat lamps for the evening to keep the temp constant 73-74 degrees. it's fall . 73 day time temp 73 night time temp.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Have a look through this thread...towards the end is better. I did this transom with 1708 (stitched, compatible with epoxy) and West Systems epoxy. The white spots are where I used putty for the filets. Most of it is fairly clear. This was all wetted out on cardboard, then put on like tap, using a combination of gloved hands, squeegees, and a fin roller to get all the air out....err..as much as I could. Yours doesn't look the same.

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/1810-lavey-mod-vp-project.182008/