WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F-Your De-Sal . . .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Coastal Commission just told the De-Sal Fags to suck the fart out of their asses.
107 million gallons of seawater 'in' per day . . . 57 million gallons 'out', per day of straight salt-brine. You decide.
Private water at an elevated price, that's NOT re-distributed to the local areas who tolerate the shit-plant that makes it . . . FUCK YOU . . . go find somewhere else to make your 'Designer Water' you faggots, we've got a 1000 miles of coastline . . . go somewhere else . . . not to mention where the water's 'cleaner'. 🖕
BTW . . . The 'Intake' for this pile of crap idea is a 1/4 mile from the 'outflow' of the Orange County Sanitation 'shit-plant' at river jettties. So You Decide.

Anyone who wants to argue this with me , hit me up & cruise down ... I'll buy you a couple slices of pizza & a pitcher of beer at a near by location after we take a full -tour / cruise, where I'll explain all the dynamics . . . you can see for yourself . . . and if after that your still not convinced . . . well right-on & we're still good. 🤙:cool:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Is this one of the old nuke plant locations ?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I live 5 miles as the crow flies to Poseiden desal plant in Carlsbad. It sits on property next to the SDG&E power generating station.
You'd never even know it's there.
NIMBY is so 90s.
Even the old oil then converted to NG power plant is almost torn down which has been replaced by a hybrid power generator.
20220413_091355.jpg

I will say I was not on board with these projects early on but "progress" is not an easy thing to accept.

DLC

Reaction score
I’ll argue that all day long!

but
you’ll have to come to Escondido we have a great pizza place and they have ICY COLD BEER ….

bring a credit card!

I usually get a pizza, lasagna and a anti pasta salad ….. I need leftovers for lunch…. Today is only Tuesday!

lol

ca dumps more fresh water that into the ocean ! That’s why we are in this situation! It all gets mixed up in the waves, Anyway. What about the Tijuana River?

maybe we meet for lunch and then argue all the way thru dinner…. I don’t have a lunch for tomorrow.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Honestly i think its all politics . Ca passes stupid power laws which Nevada sells California " green " power for huge profit . California has water rights over Nevada so they will turn around and force Nevada to pay for California desalination plants so we can have water .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
It's a fucking shit-pile . . . I'm not against De-Sal . . . the reason they wanna shove-it up HB's- Ass is they'd use the pre-existing 'pipes' from the now decomishen'd power plant pipes that go under PCH , & save money . . . blah, blah, blah . . .

Spudsbud

Reaction score
1st, may I respectfully ask your background?
Engineering??
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but do you really "know"
I can speak with reasonable experience to the process,not the politics.
I worked in Pharma for 20 years directly on DeSalinators. Bout the size of your garage.
Exact same process.
Are you a Cali resident, decending from the Mullholand era where its just cheaper to steal FW from a neighboring state.
You should see how they do it in Saudi Arabia !! Its very impressive.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'm just a fisherman, surfer, boater, tile guy w/ no engineering background.
I wouldn't be so against it if the politics behind it didn't make the whole thing a BS money grab.
Like I said, I'm not against De-Sal at all . . .and yeah I don't want this shit " in my backyard" .
We've got enough literal 'crap' industry already in my neighborhood.
There's the OC Sanitation Plant to my south, an aging power plant built in 1958 to my west, and the new AES power plant right next door.
That empty property on the corner of Magnolia & Hamilton is the Ascon Toxic Waste Dump. It was used to dump oil drilling waste decades ago.
It's so bad that it's not financially do-able to dig down far enough to get all the crap out and remove everything that's in there.
They've been chipping away at it under tents for years, but Edison high school is right across the street and that's created it's own fiasco.
Taking in 107 million gallons of sea-water, and pumping 50 million gallons of straight salt brine back into the surf line Daily, isn't something I want where I surf and fish.
Put it down at Camp Pendleton, where there is nothing . . . shit, for that matter put it at San Onofre . . . they're decommissioning that plant, it's all set up and ready to go.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.41.40 AM.png

Last edited:

Carrera205

Reaction score
Desal isn’t the answer it uses too much electricity. Direct potable reuse is the future. But peoples heads will explode. Let me ask you this what would you do if you went to your faucet and turned it on and nothing came out?

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Shit flows downhill, desal needs to be pumped uphill at HUGE expense. Water your lawns once a week and charge your electric cars when they tell you it's ok coming soon.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Desal is coming. The saudis are already working on bringing their technology to the states. They have the money and are going to do it because we are going to run out of the “cheap” water (rivers, lakes etc) soon. When we start pumping ground water and using desal your water prices will be like gas prices. I’m no expert but have a friend that works for a water company and all this is already in the works.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Desal is coming. The saudis are already working on bringing their technology to the states. They have the money and are going to do it because we are going to run out of the “cheap” water (rivers, lakes etc) soon. When we start pumping ground water and using desal your water prices will be like gas prices. I’m no expert but have a friend that works for a water company and all this is already in the works.
How about we just fly everybody coming into America illegeally over to Saudi Arabia instead . Put up the no vacancy sign on the border and have the American population live where it can be sustained .

DBMX

Reaction score
I'm just a fisherman, surfer, boater, tile guy w/ no engineering background.
I wouldn't be so against it if the politics behind it didn't make the whole thing a BS money grab.
Like I said, I'm not against De-Sal at all . . .and yeah I don't want this shit " in my backyard" .
We've got enough literal 'crap' industry already in my neighborhood.
There's the OC Sanitation Plant to my south, an aging power plant built in 1958 to my west, and the new AES power plant right next door.
That empty property on the corner of Magnolia & Hamilton is the Ascon Toxic Waste Dump. It was used to dump oil drilling waste decades ago.
It's so bad that it's not financially do-able to dig down far enough to get all the crap out and remove everything that's in there.
They've been chipping away at it under tents for years, but Edison high school is right across the street and that's created it's own fiasco.
Taking in 107 million gallons of sea-water, and pumping 50 million gallons of straight salt brine back into the surf line Daily, isn't something I want where I surf and fish.
Put it down at Camp Pendleton, where there is nothing . . . shit, for that matter put it at San Onofre . . . they're decommissioning that plant, it's all set up and ready to go.

View attachment 1110597
I'm right over by you (Beach and Atlanta).

While I am not against de-sal per se, the whole HB/Poseidon thing has been a fiasco from the start, and definitely appears to be a money grab. I actually am an Engineer, but I am not 100% educated on this subject or this plant and have questions.

Apparently, water will cost a lot more, and the amount the plant can make doesn't support too large of an area.

Then there's the giant pipes they are planning on using from the old power plant? Well part of the reason they built a new plant was because the water from those pipes was too harmful to the environment and kept sucking up all kinds of fish.

All I know is I have lived in HB for 17+ years and the pro-Poseidon group has not been able to clearly or adequately answer questions and concerns from the residents. When questions come up and residents push for answers, we are labeled as NIMBY's, or climate change deniers. I didn't bother to do too much more research because I lost all confidence in the project when they were not able to satisfactorily answer basic questions from the start.

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I wonder how long it’s gonna be before everyone in Southern California is required to have a rock yard, I am surprised the green people haven’t done this yet.🤔

evantwheeler

Reaction score
That's what Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph and Geronimo all thought in 1865..... 😳
I've been listening to a lot of native american history lately. I've had the thought recently that the modern day conservative American could possibly be equated to the Native Americans of 150 years ago. We just want things to stay the way they are, leave us the fuck alone, we'll pay our taxes and keep on enjoying the life we know and love. Like the Native Americans, we have inferior weapons to those that oppose us (our own US Government).

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'm right over by you (Beach and Atlanta).

While I am not against de-sal per se, the whole HB/Poseidon thing has been a fiasco from the start, and definitely appears to be a money grab. I actually am an Engineer, but I am not 100% educated on this subject or this plant, but do have questions.

Apparently, water will cost a lot more, and the amount the plant can make can't support too large of an area.

Then there's the giant pipes they are planning on using from the old power plant? Well part of the reason they built a new plant was because the water from those pipes was too harmful and kept sucking up all kinds of fish.

All I know is I have lived in HB for 17+ years and the pro-Poseidon group has not been able to clearly or adequately answer questions and concerns from the residents. When questions come up and residents push for answers, we are labeled as NIMBY's, or climate change deniers. I didn't bother to do too much more research because I lost all confidence in the project when they were not able to satisfactorily answer basic questions from the start.
I agree with you 100%.
Like so many things, this is just another money-grab.
It really does very little to nothing in helping the water issue, especially when it's privatized and comes at such a high cost.
I know one of the stacks at the old Edison plant is shut down . . . so I'd imagine the other one can't be far behind being built in 1958.
I remember as a kid seeing the ships off Newland street pumping oil in pipelines under the ocean floor and into the huge above ground oil tanks where AES is now.
That was before they converted over to natural gas. So that whole infrastructure is dated to say the least.
The area behind 'Squirrel Park' where they store new cars/ trucks between Hamilton & Banning 'was' supposed to be developed which included some light retail, an 'Eco-Lodge' (whatever that is) and some high density housing along with a large park.
My ex was in commercial real estate and said that the developer with the 'proposed' plan was the 'Lesser of the Evils' when it comes to developers.
But the 'Ascon Superfund Site' is a whole other nightmare. From their website, it sounds like they are only 1/3 done with clean-up.
They can't /won't get it all, so they're gonna cap it, put a large 'membrane' over the whole place. Then the plan is to bring in a bunch of soil, and plant California native plants on it, throw a fence around it with a keep out sign, and have security patrol it to keep people out.
Wonderful.
Here's what they had on their website . . . .
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.57.04 AM.png

Joker

Reaction score
I wish they would build the Desal plant already. The ocean here is already filthy so throwing the excess salt back out there may actually clean it up a bit. If Mazottis was still around I'd take you up on the beer and pizza but there ain't a good pizza joint around here. We could always head over to Mutts.

TCHB

Reaction score
It's a fucking shit-pile . . . I'm not against De-Sal . . . the reason they wanna shove-it up HB's- Ass is they'd use the pre-existing 'pipes' from the now decomishen'd power plant pipes that go under PCH , & save money . . . blah, blah, blah . . .
I can tell you first hand this de Sal plant is all about money. They want to sign a 20 to 30 year contract with The water districts and various cities. The price was about 3 times higher than the average price of water the cities were paying. So if we have heavy rain year and did not need the water you would still pay! You would be tied to a long term contract 25 years) if you used it or not. I remember one city engineer saying we could reduce 30 percent water usage by doubling the price of water and not be stuck with a long term contract that triples the price of water.

DC-88

Reaction score
Desal isn’t the answer it uses too much electricity. Direct potable reuse is the future. But peoples heads will explode. Let me ask you this what would you do if you went to your faucet and turned it on and nothing came out?
Agree it will be in the mix soon for sure. I sat on the BOD as vp of a special district for 12 years that has plenty of water, but we recently completed a mandated new plant which has the capability for full RO, so I learned a lot in that process. The long term reality is selling that excess reclaimed potable water into the local grid to nearby districts via the already existing pipelines to keep up with growth. Toilet to tap once some regulations are modified.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I don't know the answer but they are shoving electric cars up our asses right now and this just seems to be part of the same plan. Which is worse the bullet train or this project? I'd rather see a desal plant or two built its not my job to tell them how to do it.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I keep saying. Forget the desal. Build a aquadcut from the Columbia river to the northern most part of the CA aqueduct system, and tie it in. It’s only about 300 miles. It would solve all of the water issues in the southwest.

TCHB

Reaction score
I don't know the answer but they are shoving electric cars up our asses right now and this just seems to be part of the same plan. Which is worse the bullet train or this project? I'd rather see a desal plant or two built its not my job to tell them how to do it.
There is a huge supply of electricity at night at almost give away prices because many plants can not just shut down and others go to low load operation where they are extremely inefficient. Again the water is all about price. Double the price and you do no need a de sal plant. If we get some normal rains back you would be paying for that plant for the life of the plant.

1manshow

Reaction score
How you got your water and how you lost your water.

Between 1942 and 1979, Friant, Shasta, Folsom, San Luis, Oroville, and New Melones dams were built.

1967- California establishes the State Water Resources Control Board

1970- EPA is created, National Environmental Quality Act, California Environmental Quality Act, and California Endangered Species Act passes.

1972- The Natural Resources Defense Council, based in New York, sets up shop in San Francisco. California legislature passes Wild and Scenic Rivers Act and the federal Clean Water Act also passes.

1973- Endangered Species Act (Federal)

1978- State Water Resources Control Board issues Decision-1485, averaging about a 9% water loss to humans.

1980- California designated Wild and Scenic Rivers placed under Federal protection.

1991- Winter Run Chinook Salmon Biological Opinion transfers approximately another 4% from people to the environment.

1992- The Central Valley Project Improvement Act is passed and transfers an additional 7-8% water from people to the environment.

1994- Delta Smelt Biological Opinion issued which transfers approximately an additional 3% from humans to the environment.

1995- Bay Delta Accord transfers about an additional 7% of water from humans to the environment.

1997- Anadromous Fish Restoration Program transfers approximately an additional 8% of water from humans to the environment.

2000- Trinity River Restoration transfers about an additional 4% of water from humans to the environment.

2008-2009 Biological Opinions for Salmon and Delta Smelt transfers about an additional 10% of water away from humans to the environment.

2009- Congress passes the San Joaquin River Restoration Act.

2014- California passes the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act to balance aquifers. No mention or regard for missing surface water. Irrigation is not considered beneficial or recharge.

Remember this next time you fallow a field or pay your water bill. Did you support any or all of these? Did you or do you support members of the state legislature or congress responsible?

Also remember, not one environmental group or politician can claim success by transferring water from humans to the environment.

76sanger

Reaction score
1st, may I respectfully ask your background?
Engineering??
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but do you really "know"
I can speak with reasonable experience to the process,not the politics.
I worked in Pharma for 20 years directly on DeSalinators. Bout the size of your garage.
Exact same process.
Are you a Cali resident, decending from the Mullholand era where its just cheaper to steal FW from a neighboring state.
You should see how they do it in Saudi Arabia !! Its very impressive.
Saudi Arabia learned it from the Israelites. As a matter of fact all the sea bearing countries in the middle east learned it from Israel.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Not too concerned about the desal, as I am about the location and brine being returned. Anything that preserves Colorado river flow I’m all about. Most of us don’t give a shit about your beaches, find your own water. Save the River and reservoirs for the rest of us. I’ll take my free pizza and beer whenever.

propcheck

Reaction score
Well it is good to see people in agreement that this is a political issue. Please remember your frustrations when making campaign contributions and cast your vote accordingly.👍🏻

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My solution is probably rediculous, but build a canal from the gulf of CA to the Salton Sea. Put a desal plant there and bring in power from palo verde. Build a port and bring the railroad in. Pump the water to the Colorado and SRP/APS canals. Create a saltwater habitat and build the pleasure economy that comes with it. Would not be cheap. But if they can spend billions on a train to nowhere and other bullshit why not something useful?