WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F150 backup camera

SoCalDave

Reaction score
First off Merry Thanksgiving to everyone.

My 2014 camera is going south and need to know if others have experienced issues like mine and what was the resolve.
Started out that the parking lines disappeared then started getting vertical lines in the image. Now it is almost bkack and white with a reversed image.
I check the connections and everything looks good but I couldn't check the one right at the camera as you have to bust the emblem off to get to it.
It's driving the wife crazy...amazing how we rely on technology for such simple thngs as backing up a vehicle.
How'd you fix yours, new camera?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Did you try using them big ol' towing mirrors it came with?

I know, I get in my 2001 Sierra and am constantly looking at the center of the dash when I put it in reverse and I can't count the number of times I get in with my keys in my pocket.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Who needs a camera when you can tow 30,000 lbs with your F150?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It sounds like the camera itself is having the imaging problems.
But...
The other thing I have seen though is the wiring losing or having a poor connection internally. This happened on a Dodge I worked on. On that one, the feed came out the bottom, and entered the bed just above license plate. With the key in run, engine off, I put it in reverse to activate camera. Had someone watching screen as I moved the tailgate.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If it is still under warranty, they will replace it at the dealer.

Nordie

Reaction score
Car shield told me no on my wifes flex, probably the same camera because hers did the same thing. I've been meaning to replace it, but I have the same thought process about the luxury of having a backup camera.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
My 2011 Raptor did the same. First the side lines disappeared. Now it intermittently gets a crappy picture with vertical lines, most of the time the picture is perfect..

Bugginout

Reaction score

My 2014 camera is going south and need to know if others have experienced issues like mine and what was the resolve.
Started out that the parking lines disappeared then started getting vertical lines in the image. Now it is almost bkack and white with a reversed image.
I check the connections and everything looks good but I couldn't check the one right at the camera as you have to bust the emblem off to get to it.
It's driving the wife crazy...amazing how we rely on technology for such simple thngs as backing up a vehicle.
Had to replace the one in my 17. Ford told me it is a common issue and they were back ordered because of it. That was in 2018.

HBCraig

Reaction score

I have a 2014 F150 too. My camera is shot too

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2012, and its frustrating. Works fine and all of a sudden usually when I am backing up to hook up my trailer it shits the bed.

I saw non- OEM cameras on Amazon with pretty descent reviews not to long ago. I will see if I can find a link.

Taboma

Reaction score
With so many companies making or re-badging these model year Ford cameras, must be a very common failure.

Other than the zoom, I think the overall image quality of my 12' F150 Platinum rear camera was better than my 18' Raptor.
In fact between my wife's Lexus, Audi, my Camaro, and Raptor, that 12' Ford's image clarity was superior.
Good luck with the replacement. 👍

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Put the new camera on this morning and things are back to normal. Took all of 15 minutes to do as well. The clips didn't break but they did pop off the towers so I just put a small dab of epoxy on them a d popped it back on.

20211128_115757.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Put the new camera on this morning and things are back to normal. Took all of 15 minutes to do as well. The clips didn't break but they did pop off the towers so I just put a small dab of epoxy on them a d popped it back on.

View attachment 1069936

Do these clips require a special release tool ? Or just pry and pray ? :oops: I have a "Clip" phobia, damn I hate removing anything that has clips.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Pretty much pry and pray.. my first attempt with the epoxy on it didn't work so next will be silicone or glue gun...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Update on this issue.
Things have been fine until the wife text me these screen shots this morning. I'm going to replace the cable from camera to where the spare tire is and see what that does for me. Other than that she's gonna have to resort to mirrors going forward.
Stay tooned...

Resized_20211130_075645.jpeg

Resized_20211130_075634.jpeg

Meaney77

Reaction score
Were you able to get your camera figured out?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Were you able to get your camera figured out?
Yes it did. A couple of days after I installed the new camera I got the "Camera is not available" warning so I suspected the cable that runs from the camera to where the spare tire is located may have a broken wire in it as it flexes where it exits the tailgate. OEM harness from Amazon was $42 and the day it arrived the camera started working again and has been fine since. I'm going to keep the cable I bought from Amazon until the last minute for return and see where it goes from here.