WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F150 power boost hybrid

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Excellent questions.
If I owned one, I'd consider either inverter size as an occasional or emergency backup power supply only. If you need 7.5KW on a job site or as an emergency generator for seasonal power outages (Versus rare unplanned outages) certainly there's better options than running close to 400 hp to generate power obtainable from 10 hp.

The irony is, on one hand you've got Ford striving for improved CAFE numbers by adding a Stop-Start feature I'm forced to disable with every start in my Raptor for shit's sake, to avoid idling at traffic lights, yet promoting power generation using their idling engine.
Also if I understand correctly, depending on generator load, the engine will recharge the battery while it's supplying generator output, so the engine will start and stop itself as needed to maintain the output while in use. Of course with only a 1.5KW storage capacity, that's a lot of stopping and starting, if you're using 4-7 KW.

I only see this option viable for occasional use, but I'm not going to use one to keep my refrigerator running during even an all day power outage when I can easily roll out the trusty Honda. Might be handy if you want to take along a Microwave oven to a picnic, to warm up your food though 🤔

We stopped putting generators on our work trucks and run inverters now. Way better set up than maintaining yet another engine and genset. Also, the power is cleaner out of the inverters.

I'd for sure check the 7.5kW option box on one of these F150s.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
On the truck as a genset thing....Im intrigued, but have a bunch of questions maybe someone can answer.

When putting out max power is the truck idling or running at a higher RPM and if so what controls this?

According to Fords cop car research idling is the equivalent to driving 33 MPH.

Thats 1320 miles a week in genset use for a 40 hour week on a construction site.

Additionally we know that direct injection engines tend to load the oil up with fuel when idled excessively or run at low speed for extended periods of time requiring an oil change at a far shorter interval than when run on the highway for a long trip.

Between the hourly run time component and the fuel/ oil fouling has the Oil life monitor been recalibrated to deal with these vagaries?

I’m certain the answer is a NO. The guidance will be to drive your truck to burn the crap out of the oil :).

For a complex V6 DOHC engine with 2 turbos it only has a 6 quart oil capacity. This seems very low to me.

This engine is hard on oil, I change mine at 5k regardless of what the truck says. The truck usually says I am at about 48-52% oil life at that point.

My wife’s NA V6 4 runner holds 7 quarts and the 5.0 V8 F150s hold like 9 quarts.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Excellent questions.
If I owned one, I'd consider either inverter size as an occasional or emergency backup power supply only. If you need 7.5KW on a job site or as an emergency generator for seasonal power outages (Versus rare unplanned outages) certainly there's better options than running close to 400 hp to generate power obtainable from 10 hp.

The irony is, on one hand you've got Ford striving for improved CAFE numbers by adding a Stop-Start feature I'm forced to disable with every start in my Raptor for shit's sake, to avoid idling at traffic lights, yet promoting power generation using their idling engine.
Also if I understand correctly, depending on generator load, the engine will recharge the battery while it's supplying generator output, so the engine will start and stop itself as needed to maintain the output while in use. Of course with only a 1.5KW storage capacity, that's a lot of stopping and starting, if you're using 4-7 KW.

I only see this option viable for occasional use, but I'm not going to use one to keep my refrigerator running during even an all day power outage when I can easily roll out the trusty Honda. Might be handy if you want to take along a Microwave oven to a picnic, to warm up your food though 🤔

For $90 they have a start/stop eliminator dongle you can plug in. It remembers your setting so you never have to hit the button.

I also eliminated all the messaging about it in the cluster with Forescan. This is the cleanest solution in my opinion.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
a Stop-Start feature I'm forced to disable with every start in my Raptor for shit's sake, to avoid idling at traffic lights

You should look into Forscan modding your Raptor - you can do it yourself if you're handy with your laptop and plugging it into your Raptor or you can (like I did) find someone local to you on the Raptor forum who will do it for you. I paid a guy on the forum to make a number of changes - well worth the "donation"- here's a list of some of the changes you can make - may be MY dependent and there are other options too:
  • Lincoln Style Mirrors (mirrors fold)
  • Double Honk
  • Secure Idle Police Mode (Was Default)
  • Show Temp Gauges (numbers)
  • Heated Cooled Seat On Home/Climate
  • Increase Radio Time
  • Bluetooth Name Pairing
  • Enter NAV Destination and viewing texts while vehicle is in motion
  • Turn Signal Flash Count
  • Heated Steering Timeout
  • Disable Seatbelt Chime
  • DTRL

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
IMHO the generator is a gimmick.

Real workers working real sites that require real power aren’t driving half-ton pickups, they’re driving 3/4-ton and up work vehicles.

If you need 7500 watts on a construction site, there are affordable alternatives (like a generator) that cost maybe a grand, and not a truck that costs $60 grand.

These guys just tested the F150 hybrid.

Towing mpg is no better than a normal F150, and may be slightly less due to the weight of the batteries/hybrid system.

Unloaded mpg is impressive [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You should look into Forscan modding your Raptor - you can do it yourself if you're handy with your laptop and plugging it into your Raptor or you can (like I did) find someone local to you on the Raptor forum who will do it for you. I paid a guy on the forum to make a number of changes - well worth the "donation"- here's a list of some of the changes you can make - may be MY dependent and there are other options too:
  • Lincoln Style Mirrors (mirrors fold)
  • Double Honk
  • Secure Idle Police Mode (Was Default)
  • Show Temp Gauges (numbers)
  • Heated Cooled Seat On Home/Climate
  • Increase Radio Time
  • Bluetooth Name Pairing
  • Enter NAV Destination and viewing texts while vehicle is in motion
  • Turn Signal Flash Count
  • Heated Steering Timeout
  • Disable Seatbelt Chime
  • DTRL

That’s a good list of changes.

I fixed the NAV so I could use it while driving, turned off all the dumb warning lights and sounds, made the headlights work in any combination, and a few other little things.

I also added an aftermarket powered subwoofer to the factory stereo, plugged into the factory plug at the back of the cab.

I want to get an Explorer radio that gets HD radio channels and install it into my truck as well.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Real workers working real sites that require real power aren’t driving half-ton pickups, they’re driving 3/4-ton and up work vehicles.

If you need 7500 watts on a construction site, there are affordable alternatives (like a generator) that cost maybe a grand, and not a truck that costs $60 grand.
Towing mpg is no better than a normal F150, and may be slightly less due to the weight of the batteries/hybrid system.

They were saying that they had pump problems and their #'s on the unloaded may be off.

Im suspecting that 5 over EPA is not real.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I’m certain the answer is a NO. The guidance will be to drive your truck to burn the crap out of the oil :).

For a complex V6 DOHC engine with 2 turbos it only has a 6 quart oil capacity. This seems very low to me.

This engine is hard on oil, I change mine at 5k regardless of what the truck says. The truck usually says I am at about 48-52% oil life at that point.

My wife’s NA V6 4 runner holds 7 quarts and the 5.0 V8 F150s hold like 9 quarts.

Yeah Ive been looking at UOA's on this rig a while and the valve train, DI pump, and turbo heat beat the snot out of the oil.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They were saying that they had pump problems and their #'s on the unloaded may be off.

I suspecting that 5 over EPA it is.

The stock LOM (Lie-O-Meter) is definitely off. You can go into a maintenance mode and recalibrate it. I did and now it reads lower, but now reads .2 MPG +\- a hand calc on every tank.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

They all drive vans around here.. LOL...

I went an poked around Ford's website, you can get this powertrain in the base XL model. Or at least they show it as an option. It wouldn't surprise me that they show up in fleets with the Genny option, we'll see how they hold up.

A big minus I can see is not being able to get the truck close enough to the worksite. Not an issue for us since we can basically drive to everything.

Taboma

Reaction score
Perhaps all of the above?

I'm just hoping that Robbie has been or is now disassociated with my Wildcat XX, so others might produce some affordable aftermarket accessories that RG was aggressively having his lawyer squash. Now that the new Wildcat is no longer connected with RG, just maybe ??

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm just hoping that Robbie has been or is now disassociated with my Wildcat XX, so others might produce some affordable aftermarket accessories that RG was aggressively having his lawyer squash. Now that the new Wildcat is no longer connected with RG, just maybe ??

He still owns all the patents on it. It is a good car but the market seems very small. He commented on one of his shows that he has more preorders for Speed cars than Wildcats XXs have sold to date. That is incredible if true. He said Textron said there was 0 demand for a 4 seat turbo SXS.

Taboma

Reaction score
He still owns all the patents on it. He commented on one of his shows that he has more preorders for Speed cars than Wildcats have sold to date. That is incredible if true.

Well damn, I was hoping the new Artic Cat Wildcat XX, which is virtually the same as my Textron and the Tracker, meant they'd bought RG's patents out. ☹

E4L

Reaction score
So im ordering a truck new week.
The power boost is hybrid of sorts.
More Hp, more torque than the 3.5 eco boost.
Roughly 5mpg better
900 more in cost
Im gonna do it. Take just over a year to break even
But 700 miles per tank, 0-60 in the 5's.

I get the report on how it drives friday. All ive heard so far is the brakes feel different. Other than that its great.

The F350 i was considering doesnt make any sense, cost yearly is ridiculous.

8-10 week build.
waiting for it in the expeditions then ill order the wife one.

riverroyal

Reaction score
no robby anything. There are already so many people swinging from that guys nuts there's no more room.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well damn, I was hoping the new Artic Cat Wildcat XX, which is virtually the same as my Textron and the Tracker, meant they'd bought RG's patents out. ☹

Same pig, new lipstick.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to take that 🤔 I mean, when (or if 🤔) you get your car, we'll kinda be like step-bros, different but same daddy 😂

They figured out the Textron name didn’t have much credibility, so went back to Arctic Cat. Than set up the deal with Bass Pro Shops to rebrand it as the XTR1000 as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Bronco is scheduled for 2021, no?

Just like a utv company I've heard of?

Dan'l

Got pushed out a year a week or 2 ago LOL.

No Bronco until 2022.

You can buy a Ford Escape, I mean Bronco Sport though!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Got pushed out a year a week or 2 ago LOL.

No Bronco until 2022.

You can buy a Ford Escape, I mean Bronco Sport though!

Right.
A turbo 3 cyl (181 hp)starting at 26,130
Turbo 4 cyl (250 hp) starting at 27,855.
These are actually available.

Dan'l

Taboma

Reaction score
They figured out the Textron name didn’t have much credibility, so went back to Arctic Cat. Than set up the deal with Bass Pro Shops to rebrand it as the XTR1000 as well.

Oh that Basspro move really ticked off the Textron & Artic Cat dealers. I've owned various ones since 08', this one is by far my out of the box favorite, hasn't left us stranded like the Rzr (Twice thanks Polaris :mad:) and contains combustion internally and hasn't been out of service for months due to recalls. Works for us !!!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Oh that Basspro move really ticked off the Textron & Artic Cat dealers. I've owned various ones since 08', this one is by far my out of the box favorite, hasn't left us stranded like the Rzr (Twice thanks Polaris :mad:) and contains combustion internally and hasn't been out of service for months due to recalls. Works for us !!!

I like the car a lot. It was my favorite 64” non turbo 2 seater until the Kawasaki came out. The Kawasaki is awesome, but slow.

pronstar

Reaction score
F150 vs Silverado 5.3L tow test...did as well as you'd expect an Ecoboost 3.5L to do, which is to say, it tows great.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Just drove the power boost.
Crew cab 4wd
At 75mph the mpg was 22 on the freeway.
Its is in electric when stopped
The minute you push the gas with any effort it goes to gas
In a parking lot it stayed electric
At 45mph on a city road it went to electric until i gas it some pedal
Getting off freeway all electric until i left light..
The good part. You cant feel it switch. If you know its gonna switch you will notice it if your paying attention
The dead stop electric to gas is way better than the start stop feature the non hybrid has.
Its quick, for a truck.

Im sold.

boatpi

Reaction score
That’s basically how most plug-in hybrid‘s run as they have a larger battery on your light off so later it goes to electric and it’s always on electric waiting at a stoplight include in the air-conditioning.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Well.....truck arrived. Took 5 months.
I clicked 6.5 bed not 5.5 on the build sheet. Turns out that was a good mistake.
I order 2 trucks. Power boost and 3.5. Power boost is 2 more months so i went with the 3.5
This is NOT a refresh on the last f150. Power train yes with some tweaks.
It drives nothing like my 2018 F150 did. The steering is fixed, not light like before. The ride is improved, incredibly smooth. Even with my tires that have 50k miles its very plush and much more quiet.
The interior is unique in color. We thought it was coming with a grey/silver combo thing. I have no idea what this interior is called but i like it.
Cant wait to road trip it!
20210508_181513.jpg
20210508_181451.jpg
20210508_181408.jpg
20210508_181326.jpg
20210508_181247.jpg
20210508_181237.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I clicked 6.5 bed not 5.5 on the build sheet. Turns out that was a good mistake.
I order 2 trucks. Power boost and 3.5. Power boost is 2 more months so i went with the 3.5
It drives nothing like my 2018 F150 did. The steering is fixed, not light like before. The ride is improved, incredibly smooth. Even with my tires that have 50k miles its very plush and much more quiet.
The interior is unique in color. We thought it was coming with a grey/silver combo thing. I have no idea what this interior is called but i like it.
Cant wait to road trip it! View attachment 1000590 View attachment 1000591 View attachment 1000592 View attachment 1000593 View attachment 1000594 View attachment 1000595

Nice looking truck! I really like the console workstation feature. That will be really helpful for me when working from the road.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Cant wait to road trip it! View attachment 1000590 View attachment 1000591 View attachment 1000592 View attachment 1000593 View attachment 1000594 View attachment 1000595
Nice truck, homo

Taboma

Reaction score
Does this one come with on onboard generator ?

pronstar

Reaction score
570 lb-tf of torque [emoji106]

Those hybrid trucks haul ass

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Let me know when your lease is done so I can buy it from you. Seriously. 👍

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
The mileage claim will be a lie.. other than that go for it, the ‘21s look bad ass.

I can pull down an actual 600 highway miles per tank at 80 MPH with my 3.5.

If it is using the electric motor to get the truck off the line, it will help mileage a bit.
How many gallon tank?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Max tank. Max tow. Range is about 550 miles.
Also got the ford bed roll up cover. Took it off in the pic for ryno liner tomorrow